Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: New user - Problems getting/installing track names

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

New user - Problems getting/installing track names

Hi Everyone,

I am slowly getting to grips with my iPod Nano 6th Gen,and I am getting the hang of it. However, I have put a large part of my Vynil LP collection onto CDs and I am now putting those recordings on my iPod.

Many of the LPs are quite old but there are modern CDs out there with the same tracks. The iTunes CD database seems unable to find the track names though, even for quite recent CDs. I can find the track details on other websites but I am not sure if I can import the details to save typing all the track names individually. I am the world's slowest and most inaccurate typist and it would take me for ever!

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to import track names please?

Thanks,

Roger

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 AM

I use the Copy Paste method especially for hard to spell tracks.

Open iTunes on the left, open the browser on the right.
Right click the first track, and choose Get Info.
Highlight the track name in the browser with the mouse, Ctrl-C to copy.
Click in the Track Name in iTunes and Ctrl V to paste.

I highlight all tracks, right click one and choose Get Info.
Then Copy Paste the Album name and Artist to ensure all tracks get the same values.

There are 3rd party tools. Though I doubt they will help much since you are finding no information on these CDs.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 07-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Veteran Lounger

The service that iTunes uses to help identify CD tracks -- the CDDB database -- relies on specific information from an actual CD in order to do its job. With content ripped from LPs this information is not present (or is inaccurate, such as track duration), and CDDB can provide no answers. For my vinyl transfers, it's all done manually. When lucky, I can copy/paste a track listing from an online source into a text doc, and then manually apply the information to track tags; the rest of the time I have to transcribe from the record jacket, typing all the way...ugh ;-) But it's not too exhausting a job...after transferring album A to digital, I'll get album B set up and going, and then key in or paste in the info for A; then while album C is ripping I'll do the info for album B; etc. ("Exhausting" in the sense that riding a horse beats walking...but yeah, when the journey is hundreds of miles, both methods suck in comparison to riding in a car ;-)
Old 07-19-2011, 02:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I will try these and come back if I have a problem

Thanks again for the very swift responses, best wishes,

Roger
Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hi, Just an update - thanks, the suggestions work well!

Best wishes,

Roger

Topic: New user - Problems getting/installing track names

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.