Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Nano loses auto sync to podcasts

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-12-2011, 05:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question Nano loses auto sync to podcasts

Have searched online for an answer to this but to no avail.

The problem is this; after I have finished listening to a podacast on my my nano (2nd gen) it will automatically be deleted the next time I sync to itunes.

So far, so good but... once it's gone that podcast account(?) disappears from itunes' list of podcasts I can auto sync to under my nano podcast tab. When the next episode is downloaded it reappears but the box to auto sync to it remains unchecked.

So I have to manually check the box to auto sync the podcast to my ipod. Every time. For ALL my podcasts. Kinda defeats the point of auto-sync!

I hope I've explained this coherently and that someone out there has the patience to unpick this mess and offer some advice.

Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 PM

Sounds like you are select individual episodes instead of all the new ones.

Plug in your iPod, let it sync. Click on your iPod, then the Podcasts tab.
See the Subscription on the left, under the title Podcasts. That is the feed that you are using to get new episodes. You should be able to click the box to the left of the name.

What this will do is sync this podcast when there are new episodes (that appear on the right side) and that will cause any new episode to automatically be checked on the right.

This also assumes that at the top you have selected All Unplayed and episodes of Selected Podcasts for your overall Podcast syncing mechanism.

Here's a picture (I hope) Attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Nano loses auto sync to podcasts-podcast.jpg  

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I have my settings as you suggest but the problem won't go away.

Have tried reinstalling itunes and restoring factory settings to ipod but neither make any difference.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:10 AM

Then I would make sure you have a subscription to the podcast, not just the individual episode.

Click on the Podcast section in iTunes and make sure you have the subscription to the podcasts you want and each one is checked. Then test again.

Another alternative is to create a smart playlist (Media Type is Podcast and Plays is 0) for podcasts and sync the playlist to your iPod. This will ensure any new podcasts will be synced automatically.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

The bad(ish) news is that I have indeed got full subscriptions to the podcasts but once all their episodes have been listened to and auto-deleted the podcast disappears from the ipod's auto-sync list under the podcasts tab in itunes.

The good news is that your clever workaround of creating a smart playlist of unplayed podcasts works a treat and basically does the job of auto-syncing all new episodes that the specific podcast tab should be doing.

Thanks a lot for your advice - I never would have thought of making a smart playlist to solve the problem.

I know my ipod's pretty old (2nd gen nano) but I can't believe I'm the only one having this problem. It all started around itunes 10's introduction. Anybody heard of this issues affecting anyone else?

Topic: Nano loses auto sync to podcasts

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.