Recording Static

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ricwag

I posted here before about iTunes recording only static. Everything was fine until I allowed an auto update of iTunes and then it all fell apart.

In the attempt to update drivers to correct this, my computer crashed. I lost everything except the little that was backed up.

When I reinstalled iTunes, all worked fine. Yesterday it did another auto update. Like an idiot, I allowed it. Now I record only static AGAIN! This is a clean computer! I installed NOTHING else!

I've really had it with iTunes. Either it's a worthless piece of software or my computer just can't deal with it.

I don't want to wipe everything out again. I need a fix or 3rd party freeware that I haven't been able to find.

I need help here.

Tks!

ricwag

Never mind. This whole issue is weird to me. I try many fixes and can never know which one hit the mark. I reset my nano, deleted all songs (through iTunes) and am starting again. The only other thing I did (and can't check it due to recording now) was to check a box under the iPod (Devices) that mentioned something about 128 KB AAC.

Anyway - it's doing the job. Now I just have weeks of re-recording.

What I know is this: ALWAYS DELETE AND THEN SYNCH THROUGH iTUNES! DO NOT MAKE CHANGES ON THE HARD DRIVE!

ricwag

Nope! Weird! I started recording yesterday. After every song I would pause the recording and test sound. It was all fine. This morning I tried the iPod in the dock - nothing! I went back to the computer and tried to play through iTunes - nothing!

It can't be possible that both my sound card and my USB card went bad. Also, I have my Internet connection on that USB card.

I really, REALLY do not understand what this is.

I'll wipe out iTunes once again and reset the iPod. Outside of that I only know to wipe out what little is on my computer and try again. I know from experience that a simple re-install of iTunes won't do the trick.

I need some help here folks. I don't want to go through another 2 - 3 days of wiping out and re-installing everything I have.

reneipod

Sorry you are having issues like this. But first things first. Before uninstalling, installing, wiping hard drives clean and such; there are a few things to try first.

1. reset the ipod by holding down the menu and center button until the apple logo appears and let it reboot.

2. restore your ipod within itunes. warning: this will wipe your ipod clean and reset it back to factory settings. Then reload all your music back onto your ipod. Hopefully you will have had a backup of all your music before this process.

I was getting static out of my nano a while back. Restoring the ipod fixed my problem. Apparently it is an issue with the ipod and not itunes in my case and thus eliminating the path you have taken.

ricwag

More --

The nano isn't the problem. After recording through iTunes I also get static playing through the computer.

I just switched to recording through Windows Media Player. It records an album in minutes rather than several hours which was the case in iTunes. All plays well on my computer. When I import these files into iTunes (which also takes hours) I get static.

I've had it with iTunes and the whole Apple system. When I can, I'll be buying an MP3 player.

I lost my whole system to this - years of data - all due to a problem with iTunes. I have read many accounts of recording only static in iTunes with only ineffectual answers (if any). Apple won't allow me to write them for answers - NO adequate support!

I spent almost $200 for my nano. I spent $60+ for a decent dock. I had to buy and upgrade from Windows 200 to Windows XP. Now it's all trash! And Apple won't even help me troubleshoot this?