Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: can't see list of songs on my nano through Itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-16-2010, 02:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

can't see list of songs on my nano through Itunes

Hi,
Just got a used nano. I've synced all my music, and it's on the nano, but i can't seem to see what is on it through iTunes. I'd love to see a list of some sort, similar to the list I see when I'm looking at my entire library on my computer.

I'm sure there is a way to do this, I'm just not sure how.

Thanks!
Shannon

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 AM

Power Lounger

While the iPod is connected to the computer & iTunes, look on the left hand pane where all the playlists are. One of the items should be the iPod - select it, toggle the small triangle next to it - to open up it and it's playlists, etc.

Win7/26392 songs/2516 Artists/2520 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man
Old 12-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

tried that

I already tried that. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 PM

It might be helpful to describe what happened when you did what Cold Irons suggested (which is exactly what you should do). When you click on the small triangle to the left of the iPod's name, it should expand a list of categories. When you see that, click on the Music category to see what is loaded onto the iPod.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

part of it worked, but

I got the songs to show, but they are all greyed out so I can't manipulate them at all.

So...now what? Thanks for the help. I am quite familiar with iTunes, but have never owned an actual iPod before.

Thanks,
Shannon
Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 PM

They are greyed out because you're auto-syncing the iPod. If you auto-sync, you need to make all changes in iTunes then re-sync. The alternative is to change to manual iPod management, where you can make changes directly on the iPod while connected to iTunes. But, there's probably no reason for you to manually manage.

What sort of changes are you wanting to make? New playlists? Change the sort order inside a playlist? Update/correct tags of some songs? All that can be done in iTunes and then just re-sync to push the changes to the iPod.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

same problem!

hi there! I have exactly the same problem. I iherited my late sister's nano and because I'm not linked up to her library I can sync without wiping everything off. I don't want to wipe anything off. You mention a manual change i iTunes. How do I do that? I've never owned an iPod or used iTunes before so please be patient
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles75 View Post
... and because I'm not linked up to her library I can sync without wiping everything off.
By the sounds of it, her iPod is already in manually manage mode. If you're "not linked to her library" as you say, then connecting her Nano to your library would give you a warning if it was not already in manual mode. Keep in mind that you still see a "Sync" button in iTunes even if the iPod is in manual mode, and clicking it will really not do anything to an iPod in manual mode, even if connecting to a different library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles75 View Post
I don't want to wipe anything off. You mention a manual change i iTunes. How do I do that?
If you have already connected her Nano to your iTunes and clicked the Sync button, and the Nano still has content, then by definition it is already in manual mode (otherwise you would have been warned that it belongs to a different library, and likely erased if you proceeded with the Sync). At this point you're free to add content from your library to the Nano by dragging and dropping songs and/or playlists from your library to the Nano's name on the left side of iTunes.

If your goal is to extract your sister's content from the Nano, then take a look at this iLounge article:
Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide | iLounge Article

Good luck, and welcome to iLounge!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

good advice!

Last edited by snuggles75; 09-27-2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: delete
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up great advice from Rockmyplimsoul!

Thank you Rockmyplimsoul!!! You have helped me a lot. I've transferred ALL the content to my library without any hitches. I'm very glad I joined. Thank you again for your help!

Topic: can't see list of songs on my nano through Itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.