Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 6G - Broken Sleep Button

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Senior Lounger

6G - Broken Sleep Button

I went to push the sleep button on my 3 week on 6G nano and it doesn't work. One side is depressed (flush with the case) and the other isn't. It was fine 5 mins ago.

Any one else had this happen?

Dunkin'

Black 64GB iPhone 4S, 64GB 4G touch, 80GB Black 5.5G iPod, 32GB Galaxy Tab 10.1
Previous: 16GB Silver 6G nano, 32GB 1G Touch, 8GB Black 3G nano, 4GB Black 1G nano,

Last edited by Dunkin; 10-11-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

same problem here

the sleep button on my 6g nano started to get weaker, as if the click feeling when you push down on the button was not as sharp. this happened a few days before the button failed. it is as you say, stuck with the right side of the button all the way down and the left sticking up. uneven, and the ipod no longer functions because of the broken sleep button. this is disappointing as it is only one month old, and the button failed after about 3 weeks of heavy use.

I called the applecare support center a few days ago and the ipod was sent off yesterday to apple. I did not have to pay anything for shipping, and a delivery driver arrived with a box ready to put the nano in.

it was sent overnight delivery and today the apple status webpage says that they are processing an exchange for a replacement.

I have had two other ipods in the past that were used heavily for up to 3 years. when i say heavy it means used almost every day for audobooks and podcasts when in the car or on the train. the battery eventually wore out on those older ipods but nothing else ever went wrong. The buttons are still functioning as if new.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Senior Lounger

Interesting...I didn't notice a change before mine broke.

I returned mine to Best Buy for a refund. Not sure if I'm going to get another one. If I do I'll buy it from CostCo where they include a 2 year warranty at no additional cost.

Dunkin'

Previous: 16GB Silver 6G nano, 32GB 1G Touch, 8GB Black 3G nano, 4GB Black 1G nano,
Old 10-12-2010, 11:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

same thing

Like an hour ago i was listening some music, then i put the nano in my bed lfor 5 mins.. and then the sleep/awake button was like pushed down... i hope apple changes it!!!!
mmm BTW mine only had 2 weeks of use!!!
WTF!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Junior Lounger

ditto! 2 weeks old

This morning I went to turn mine on. Button is depressed and almost flush with body. Might stop by Apple store today and get a replacement (assuming they will since it's 2 weeks old)

Guessing it's a manufacturing defect.

John Wilker
16gb iNewton, no music on it at all.
40GB iPod photo, 22gb used
blog
Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Senior Lounger

do you guys think this is a problem of all 6th generation Nanos of is it some units only?

I bought mine yesterday and i'm really concerned about how tough it is ...

Ipod Classic 160GB black, Ipod Nano 2nd gen. 8GB black, iPhone 16GB, Iriver H340, Iriver H120 and Cowon A2 30GB. Chestnut Hill George Ipod Speaker ...
Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 AM

Senior Lounger

It could be a manufacturing defect that only affects a small production run of nanos or there could be a more serious problem with either the switch or the way it's attached.

I'm concerned enough that I haven't bought a replacement yet.

Hopefully you won't have any problems.

Dunkin'

Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

Same here...after just 4 weeks of use. This is going back to the store tonight and I won't be accepting a replacement nano.

I'd just be staring at it and wondering how long it would be for it to happen again.

Last edited by dreameight; 11-03-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well, I calmed down, went to the store and got the nano replaced... Better luck second time round perhaps.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have the same problem as in the start post.
One moment it worked, the other moment it didn't.

I returned it at the apple store, and 4 weeks later i had to come back because there was a problem with the service papers and some other ####.

Then they told me that there was a little scratch close to the sleep button (that wasn't there before, and nobody's knows what happened with the ipod in these 4 weeks).
Now they tell me they won't repair it because it was fallen before.
Now i have a device that costs 150,- and can't do a thing..
Old 12-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

This is common problem coming with iPod 6th generation.I think apple need to work on it.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Same here, with less than two months of use. one moment it is working, the next it isn't. I called Apple and they say they will exchange the Ipod. Let's see. But it does seem a common problem.

Topic: 6G - Broken Sleep Button

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.