Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: IPOD Nano not recognised/synching with Windows 7

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

IPOD Nano not recognised/synching with Windows 7

I am having problems synching my IPOD with ITunes every time I dock my IPOD I am getting the following error message in my event log: -

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR5

It would appear that ITUNES is not recognising my IPOD a window does open up indicating an external disk drive Also I have tried alternate USB Ports and also synching via cable and not my docking station !?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) and have installed the 64 bit version of ITUNES onto my PC and thought this might be the issue.

I have a 2nd or 3rd generation IPOD Nano (8g) and have only started having these issues when upgrading from XP to Win 7

My PC Spec is as follows
Dell Dimension E521 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X 2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 Ghz
Running with 3 gig of RAM
ITunes Version: 9.1.1.11
Any help/support would be appreciated - Thanks

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Apple has their articles on what to do: If you do not see it in My Computer and See it in My Computer but not iTunes.

The error is a bit odd. It indicates a potentially bad connection. You have already done a lot of the troubleshooting steps. Are you going through a hub? That may make it look like a bad connection if the hub is not powered or going bad.

You could try to go into Device Manager and see if it tells you how to resolve it. Maybe Windows wants to scan it. I seem to remember Vista insisting on that a while back.

My Nano syncs just fine to my Windows 7 64 bit with iTunes, so it's not your software set up.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

More Information

Further to my previous post I have being trying to get this up & running and have not had much luck. When I dock the device either on by Docking Station or via cable under the device manager under the USB connections the IPOD device has an exclamation mark next to it and the General Tab reports back the following: -

Windows is uninstalling this device. (Code 21)

Also have tried the following 2 fixes from the apple web-site and this has not helped either: -

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1852

Maybe this is worth mentioning as well I have imported my library from CD which was saved under XP and then imported into Win 7 with no issues.
Someone I know has mentioned re-formatting my IPOD ?

Thanks - Kevin
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM

On another thread I am on someone posted something that may help: "An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly."

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: IPOD Nano not recognised/synching with Windows 7

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.