Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Problems with transferring from iTunes to iPod nano

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

Problems with transferring from iTunes to iPod nano

I'm having trouble transferring particular tracks from my iTunes to the iPod. I can't transfer everything, because my iTunes contains more than the 16gb that the iPod will take. So I need to add songs manually to the iPod playlist. The instructions say "You can add playlists and songs from iTunes to your iPod [by] simply dragging them to the iPod in the Source panel". But when I try to do this, nothing happens.

I can transfer tracks according to particular genres, and I've done this successfully with things labelled "Soundtracks", although my computer's resulting list of music on the iPod is in faint print and doesn't seem to be changeable.

Also, iTunes enables users to rate their music with anything from one star to five stars. Is there any way that you can transfer (say) all the three-starred items to your iPod?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM

Veteran Lounger

If you want to drag and drop music to the iPod you will need to set it to manually manage music and videos on it's sync setting's Summary tab in iTunes. The problem with manually syncing is playcounts and ratings don't sync back from the iPod to iTunes.

The better method is to selectively sync the music and video. I find setting my smaller iPods to sync to selected playlists in the music tab is a better choice. You can then choose to drag and drop music to a playlist and have it sync to the iPod. Ratings and playcounts will sync back to iTunes and be used by smart playlist. Then a smart playlist can be created in iTunes with the rule "Rating is (3 stars)" and select it to sync to the iPod as well. Once you start catching on to smart playlists the possibilities are endless for customizing the content synced to an iPod.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Topic: Problems with transferring from iTunes to iPod nano

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.