Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Nano won't wake up by pressing play button.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM

Certified Public iPod

Nano won't wake up by pressing play button.

The subject pretty much says it all. I have a 16GB Yellow nano that will shut off after even a minute of being paused. What happens then is that pressing Play doesn't bring the iPod back up - I have to slide the hold switch to off and then back to on to wake it up.

I've noticed that this happens about 75% of the time - the other 25%, pressing Play WILL work.

I tried searching for this through the forums but didn't see any mention. Is it a bug in the firmware?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM

Power Lounger

Your description of the problem makes it sound like you are trying to wake up your iPod with the hold switch on. That'll never work - it's designed to stop exactly that.

Forgive me if I am wrong (I'm not accusing you of being stupid), but that is certainly the way the post comes across.

iPhone 5 64gb // SOL Republic Tracks HD // iPad Mini 64 gb wifi // Apple TV 3 // iMac 21.5 //
Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM

In my experience when an iPod enters into "deep sleep" you need to press the center button to wake it up. this may explain the 75% of the time issue. Him the talk of one minutes may detract from this, but see if it wakes from the center button.

Weird I know. Try that next time you see this (of course after checking to make sure it's not because the hold button is on).

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 AM

Certified Public iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncordelle
Your description of the problem makes it sound like you are trying to wake up your iPod with the hold switch on. That'll never work - it's designed to stop exactly that.

Forgive me if I am wrong (I'm not accusing you of being stupid), but that is certainly the way the post comes across.
It's not because I am trying to wake it up with the hold switch on. What I'm saying is that the only way I'm able to wake the iPod up is to slide the hold switch from "OFF" to "ON" and then back to "OFF" - sort of toggling it.

To the poster above - I've tried pressing the center button as well, and nothing happens! The iPod becomes completely unresponsive.

I've owned iPods since the first PC-ready one was introduced, so I'm no dope when it comes to their use. This issue has truly stumped me.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM

It is very stumping.

I can't explain what the issue is at all. It makes no sense to me. I wouldn't think this would be as designed. The deep sleep thing maybe, but one minute after going to sleep makes no sense

Are you near an apple store? to try to demonstrate it.

We could rule out a software issue by restore and see if it continues. I haven't heard this as a common complaint among new nano users, so I don't necessarily think it's a prominent bug and may be isolated to your install or be hardware related....

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:29 PM

Power Lounger

Definitely the first time I've heard of it...I know that the scenario that Stu pointed out happens with the deep sleep issue, but if the centre button doesn't do the business, then it may be time to see an Apple Store or equivalent.

iPhone 5 64gb // SOL Republic Tracks HD // iPad Mini 64 gb wifi // Apple TV 3 // iMac 21.5 //
Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 PM

Certified Public iPod

Wow - thanks both for your feedback. I'm gonna bring it to the Apple store and see what they say.

Topic: Nano won't wake up by pressing play button.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.