ipod will not work AT ALL

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

refman900

Immortal Lounger
Website
www.outerwebs.wordpress.com
today, i supposidly left my ipod running all day and the battery has worn out. ive tried hooking it up to its docking station and into the computer , but it will not work. is this something i should be worried about?

refman900

Immortal Lounger
Website
thanks, but i think resetting it would be out of the question, because my pc wont reconize it . it will not charge , and will not show any signs of being conected to power.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Have you left it plugged in to see if any life came to it? Recognition by a PC is not a requirement to form a plan reset, only a restore.

Are you under warranty? Did you look at the article I linked?

refman900

Immortal Lounger
Website
i have left it plugged in for... 3 or 4 days now and nothings happening, its a 4 year old ipod, so i would imagine it is not under warrinty, and the article had no relevance to the problem. im starting to think that the battery has just gone kaputz, because of the age. oh and if this helps, theres nothing on the screen. it isnt frozen on a paticular screen or gone white or anything, it simply wont awake from sleep, or charge.

Last edited:

..andloveisreal

I don't even listen to U2
Website
ohbuoyancy.net
You should try what is called a hard reset. This is different from a restore, and you do not need to have it connected to the PC to do it (though you can it doesn't matter). Sit the iPod on a flat surface, toggle the hold switch on then off, then press and hold the menu and select (center) buttons at the same time, after about 7-10 seconds the apple logo should show on the screen and you can let go of the buttons. Do you have an ac adapter? if so I recommend doing this while it's plugged into the ac adapter.

refman900

Immortal Lounger
Website
i tried doing the hard reset, nothing happening, but i heard what i needed from the last poster. my dad was looking at it and he said it was a dead battery, and i was just looking for a second opinion, so now im going to go to the store later on to replace the battery. any idea of what these batterys and repairs cost? i dont want anythingo over $30 or im just gonna end up replacing my ipod alltogether, because i dont want to spend money on a part thats worth more than the ipod itself. on an off-topic related issue, is the tv show house still on repeats for the writers strike? if it is, when will it be back on, if not can someone fill me in?

Last edited:

Bidjaboo

Long time lurker, first time poster.... :D

Thanks for the hard reset info. It worked for me. I've had this 4g 3rd Gen nano for about 3 weeks and this was the first time I had a problem.

Mine would shut down ok, and navigate through the songs but when I tried to select a song, it froze up. Any ideas what causes that to happen?

WillieDynamite

Refman, mine did the same thing, but got it working.

Mine was just off the computer after syncing about 2 songs, and had previously been sitting for about 3weeks (was using my cell phone Motorola Q9C with 4gb memory card and my new sony 616F). Seemed fine when I disconnected it from the computer after a minute or two for the sync process. I laid it down on my dresser and took care of my cat (Clumping Kitty Liter is the best). Came back a minute later and the Ipod nano (8GB 2 Gen) was dead. I mean really dead. Tried to reset (dead), hooked it to computer for a couple of days (dead). I started to use my sony again for the last two days.

I was cleaning my room yesterday and came across a cheap wall charger ($6.00) that I had bought from Rite-Aid a couple of years ago for my 5th Generation Ipod. I though I would give it a try since that Nano had no signs of life.

It's Alive!

(and back to normal)

I guess the battery had somehow drained way past the point of no return. If you are near a Rite-Aid store see if they have any cheap wall chargers for the Ipod. The one I got was/is universal and all white and cost about $6.00. I say give that a try.

(BTW The Sony and My cellphone both sound way better that both my Ipods, but I use the Nano for running and working out and had never had a problem before this)

Hope this helps

refman900

Immortal Lounger
Website
ok... i see one fatal flaw in buying the charger. a few days ago i was gonna buy a replacement battery, so i was trying to prep my ipod by opening it. i thought i got it going with my guitar picks at the bottom of the ipod, and then the place where you plug the charger in, snapped. so, i really think its gone beyond the point of no repair, so im just gonna get an upgrade. (i just dont want to spend money on parts that are worth more then the ipod itself)

Proxy One

Ive actually had some Nano's not power up at all with USB wall charger or Computer connection and then power up with a Firewire wall charger so I guess sometimes its just gotta be something different. But refman if yours is snapped somewhere then yeah you might just wanna sell it for parts if any are good.