ipod device cannot start (code 10)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

simonhope

ipod nano 8gb not recognised in xp or itunes,posted on a v similar thread,but trhe problems there were solved by uninstalling drivers,its not worked for me!
in device manager/ universal serial bus control the ipod is there,but with a yellow exclamation mark?right click properties and its saying"device cannot start(code 10)?
been thru windows support,tried all instructions,but still gett the"3bings"when plugged in
box sometimes comes up to show ipod connected,but immediatly says could not install...6hrs later,gettin really pi##ed with it,any help appreaiated:mad:

electrozoid

Apple Pie Eater
This is Microsoft's explanation to code 10 => kb943104

In summary it's a generic error code message because Windows doesn't know what it is. The solution is to uninstall and reinstall your USB drivers. You must get rid of the yellow exclamation mark, it is an unmistakable sign your drivers are not properly installed, are corrupt, or are out-of-date. Either way you must uninstall them and reinstall functioning drivers.

Courtesy of PC Hell => How to fix the error "This Device Cannot Start. (Code 10)"
PC Hell said:
The easiest way to solve a USB error code 10 in Windows XP is to follow the steps below to remove and reinstall all USB controllers.

A. Click on Start
B. Right Click on My Computer, click on Properties
C.Click on the Hardware tab
D. Click the Device Manager button.
E. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
F. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
G. Restart the computer, and allow the computer to reinstall the USB controllers.
H. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.
And if that still doesn't work you can try Microsoft's Advanced troubleshooting tips for general USB problems in Windows XP.

simonhope

:D :D electrozoid,i send u a virtual keg of beer!spot on,worked a treat!spent 6hrs up to now filling ipod up:eek: many thanks,not only 4 gettin it workin,but savin me £££££££££££££ at poxy pc shop!:D

JSK123

A HUGE thank you

Your post regarding the CODE 10 when trying to hook up a 4th Gen ipod Nano was PERFECT. It not only solved our problem, but saved a 12 year old from getting very upset about his xmas gift and a Dad from losing another 2 hours of insanity!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!

dreadey

electrozoid could u help me

ok my story is the same but i did everything you said several times exept when it reinstalls it sais f***en stpid crap hardwere couldnt re-fu**en-install so your hardwere made not work properly so can you plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me i will give you oneflippedyzillion virtual virtual dolars im thet sereous its my new ipod aswell plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me i would apreceate it

ipoddavid

Thanks electrozoid

Thanks for advice electrozoid,
Could not get ipod Touch 3G 8GB to recognise Windows XP. Just spent 2 hours on phone to Apple support without any progress then ~ 5 hours reloading itunes etc. Not the best way to spend Christmas day with a 14 year old wondering why his present did not work!

Followed your instructions and removed devices under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node (I actually had 2 Universal Serial Bus controller nodes??) restarted with ipod connected and it was fixed within 30 mins :)

Thanks again

Reclaimer

Hello, i'm having a similar problem as all above....but here's some background on it.... I'm on windows 7, on an administrative account....the only user of the computer and itunes will throw me error messages daily whilst listening to music and syncing my ipod touch.... the error messages consist of "you do not have the administrative privileges .... bleh" or.... the one i got last night that brought me to this site "the device could not be synced because you do not have administrative privileges" ...... generally these messages do not bring forth a problem but last night it did, i was upgrading my firmware to the 4.0 firmware and right after the LONG backing up process, the next bar or so... RIGHT AT THE END OF THE BAR, brought up the message that the ipod could not be synced.....then it made the disconnect and reconnect noises and it told me on the bottom of my screen, usb device not recognized..... i have done everything sugested on this page as well as EVERYTHING in apple's support related to ipod touches..... before anyone says something about me not being administrator... I am running "explorer.exe" as administrator, therefore anything and everything i do on my computer is done as administrator..... i hope someone can help me... someone patient enough to read all this :p

oh... just to be clear iTunes BRICKED my ipod touch

Celestatiune

I just tried the mass uninstalling of drivers method, and it did work. I'd caution anyone who uses a USB mouse, however - most of the drivers on my computer weren't named so I had no way of telling what I was doing until suddenly the mouse stopped working. Either see if you can figure out which driver is the mouse or get a legacy PS/2 mouse from somewhere before attempting this. I ended up having to hard reset because windows wouldn't force shutdown a dialog box, and this ended up causing my first ever Windows 7 bluescreen.

Rebooted it after that though and everything works fine, and to boot I can actually use my Ipod now.