Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: how do i download songs FROM my ipod TO my computer?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

how do i download songs FROM my ipod TO my computer?

i had my one computer crash on me and now my ipod software isnt working, so i downloaded itunes onto another computer and ripped a few more cds onto the NEW computer.

now itunes is just prompting me to delete all of my old songs on my nano and wanting to install only the new ones... saying it can only be "synched" to one computer. which is fine,

but i dont want to lose all of my other songs.

so how can i successfully download my songs currently ON my nano TO my computer so that i dont lose them?

thanks a bunch!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 PM

A Bit Outdated

If you bought the songs from iTunes, you can transfer them back to the computer by authorizing it with your account.

Otherwise, you'll need a separate program to do that.

iLounge has a list of software for Windows here:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod-software-windows/

I recommend a free one.

iPod 4G 20GB | iPod 5G 30GB | iPod nano 1G 1GB | iPod touch 16GB
"You roll on the floor drenched in smiles and smoke and you're laughing your head off at something misspoken."
Old 02-04-2007, 12:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

no i didnt buy them with itunes, i ripped them from my cds, which is why i would just like to transfer them... its takes so long to rip cds.

what software am i looking for exactly?

thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:18 PM

iPod FrEaK

BUt is it safe to use third party apps for doing such operations? I mean, is it totally safe? It doesn't void the warranty, does it?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:28 PM

Chilled Lounger

its safe, i have used third party apps on my ipods and there all just fine
some programs such as lunix and ipod wizard will void the warranty bc you are changing the firmware
Old 02-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quick Simple way if you use windows, No Prgrams needed.

Go to:
My Computer > iPod

On the Tool Bar, go to:

Tools > Folder Options > View [Tab] > [Check] Show Hidden Files and Folders > Click Apply and OK

Then open the hidden file in your iPod:

iPod_Control > Music > Fxx

All your music are stored in the Fxx (xx Being a Number)

Simply just Rightclick on the Music Folder, Copy and paste to your Hard Drive.

Although the filenames have been renamed by iTunes, if you import them back into iTunes, the track names, album info etc are still there.

Last edited by LaaG; 02-06-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:30 PM

Power Lounger

Detailed instructions below, but what you need to do is this:
Enable disk use on the iPod
show hidden files and folders on the computer
enable "copy files to iTunes music folder" and "keep iTunes music folder organized" from within iTunes
Import your iPod's \iPod_Control\Music folder with the "Add folder to library" function

The first thing to do is to set your iPod on Manual mode so it will stop prompting you to erase and sync. Manual mode enables the "disk use" function, which we'll also need.

To enable manual mode and/or disk use, you'll need the iPod to be connected to the computer. Either click "Cancel" when prompted to erase and sync, or else press and hold [CTRL]+[SHIFT] as you connect the iPod to mount it without updating. Once the iPod appears in the source column, you can release the keys. Select the iPod in the source column, and click the "Summary" tab in the main window if it isn't already selected. In the lower portion of the "Summary" tab is a section labeled "Options". Check "Manually manage music" and click "Apply". "Enable disk use" will also be enabled at this time. This happens automatically when you select manual mode.

Now that the iPod can be accessed as a disk drive, open "My Computer" and look where it says "Devices with removable storage". Find the drive that represents your iPod and make a note of the drive letter, as you'll need this later. For this example we'll pretend that it's H: drive, but your mileage may vary

Next, you'll want to enable viewing of hidden files and folders. Open any folder and select Tools->Folder Options->View->Show hidden files and folders, then click "Apply".

Once you are able to view hidden files and folders, you'll need to go back into iTunes. Click Edit->Preferences->Advanced->General and make sure there is a checkmark next to both "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library". Click "OK" to save any changes and close the window. Then click File->Add folder to library and direct it to H:\iPod_Control\Music. Remember that H: is just an example, you'll need to enter whatever drive letter represents the iPod on your own personal machine.

Click "OK" and you should be done. iTunes will read the files off the iPod, copy them onto your hard drive, import them into the library, and move/rename them to something you can identify. You won't get any of your playlists back this way, and you will lose all your ratings and playcount information, but the files are intact. If you want playlists and/or ratings/playcount information, you'll need to use a third party tool. Read How to copy files from your iPod to your hard drive for more information.

Manual mode prevents the iPod from attempting to autosync an empty library or erase and sync with a new library, as well as forces disk mode. Disk mode allows you to access the iPod's folder structure. "Hidden files and folders" allows you to find the path to the music folder, since it and its parent folder are both hidden. "Copy files to iTunes Music folder" makes a new copy of the file on the hard drive when it imports (otherwise it would just attempt to play the file directly from the iPod, which is fine...until you want to unplug the iPod, at which point you can't play the song from the computer any more) and "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" will rename the files and place them in the proper folder (on the iPod, the files get renamed with random letters such as "CKBA.mp3", but the tag information is still intact. iTunes can use this tag information to move the files into Artist/Album subfolders, and rename the file to "01 Song Name.mp3" where "01" is the track number and "Song Name" is, of course, the name of the song.)

iPod Touch 32GB (4th gen., Black) | iTunes 11.0.1.12 (8942 songs, 27.5 days, 37.13 GB)
SmartLists by Code Monkey

Last edited by bwh79; 02-06-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

a program called "copypod" is the easiest.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoutihead View Post
i had my one computer crash on me and now my ipod software isnt working, so i downloaded itunes onto another computer and ripped a few more cds onto the NEW computer.

now itunes is just prompting me to delete all of my old songs on my nano and wanting to install only the new ones... saying it can only be "synched" to one computer. which is fine,

but i dont want to lose all of my other songs.

so how can i successfully download my songs currently ON my nano TO my computer so that i dont lose them?

thanks a bunch!
It is certained that using an iPod transfer tool is the easiest way to transfer music. But there is also a manual way you can try first.
1. Connect the iPod to your PC. If iTunes starts syncing (ie erasing) your music automatically, hit the X in the upper right hand corner of iTunes display, to the left of the search box, to stop it.
2. In Control Panel, Portable Media Devices, double-click your iPod.
3. In the Tools menu -> Options, in the View Tab, check "Show hidden files and folders."
4. Navigate to the Music folder. On my 2nd gen 'pod, the full path is
5. Portable Media Devices\GINA'S IPOD (F\iPod_Control\Music
6. Select all the music folders, and drag and drop them into a folder on your hard drive, or directly into iTunes.

Topic: how do i download songs FROM my ipod TO my computer?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.