Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Nano drag folder...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Nano drag folder...

There has to be a way of simply dragging music and pictures files into a nano window without using iphoto or itunes. Is it podcast? Why can't it be like windows where I just drag a file into a nano folder? What's the easiest way of getting stuff on the nano? Yeah, I'm new the the mac world. 3 days and loving it...just confused at times! Thanks!
-Erick

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 AM

Pro Lounger

Apple invented the drag and drop concept in the original Macintosh in 1984. That's a few years before Microsoft came out with Windows 95 their first graphical interface. Prior to 1995 all operating systems were a command line interface called DOS.

The reason that the iPod requires iTunes is because the music industry would not allow Apple to sell their music through the Apple Music Store allowing the purchaser to just drag and drop songs to and from the iPod to any other computers. Apple has to use DRM, Digital Rights Management, software for music that is purchased over the internet. Each song can only be on as many as eight computers at a time, and on as many iPods as the user wants. If you buy a song from the Apple music store, you can then export it to a CD for backup, and then you can rip the CD back into iTunes as an MP3 or AAC file without the DRM coding.

Also, iTunes is a great way to manage your digital music library. A four gig Nano will hold about 1,000 songs and iTunes is a great way to manage and find the songs you want to load on the iPod. Other data files can be stored on the iPod, like any other flash memory device, via drag and drop from the desktop.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you for that insight! That was interesting. I understand why they must use iTunes. Now that I know there is no other way, iTunes will be fine. I need it to manage my music on Serato as well. Thanks again!
-Erick
Old 08-15-2006, 01:04 AM

Veteran Lounger

You can install Rockbox on your Nano, this will allow you to drag and drop music, images and video onto your Nano and play them.

Yep, thats right, movies.

Rockbox is an alternate operating system for your Nano, it is free and opensource.

Links in my sig.

h

160Gb Classic, iPhone 4, Ultimate Ears TripeFi 10, 15,000+ songs
Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM

Pro Lounger

be aware...

Flyboy-
I heard lots of good stuff about Rockbox (as well as iPod Linux) but be aware that you will be installing a new operating system on your Nano. This will negate your Apple warranty. And if you check out some of the threads here, you will see that some people have had a little difficult uninstalling third party software and re-installing the Apple Nano operating system onto their Nano.

Do you wanna touch me there (yeah)
Old 08-16-2006, 12:23 AM

Pro Lounger

There are third party programs that will allow you to transfer music to and from your iPod via drag and drop. Some are for the Macintosh and others are for PC without having to change your iPod to a different operating system. Like OSX, Apple's operating system for the iPod is elegant, simple, easy to use, and works very well.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:30 AM

Veteran Lounger

Without modifying the iPod, the only drag and drop files you can add (with a standard amount of knowledge about iPods and computers) are calendar files, notes, and vCards.

HP USB Disk Format Tool || Transfer from iPod to HD ||Blog||
iPod 4G 20GB/iPod nano 1G 2GB/iPod touch 16GB/Lenovo F20 Cokebook/Shure SE110
Old 08-16-2006, 12:42 AM

Veteran Lounger

Those third party programs on a computer dont let you drag music off easily......

h

160Gb Classic, iPhone 4, Ultimate Ears TripeFi 10, 15,000+ songs

Topic: Nano drag folder...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.