C6 MFG Carbon Fibre Case Review

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Piarco75

scousePod
I'm a bit of an iPod accessory junkie. I've been through several cases and headphones and kept only those which impress me. My main nano case and still the best is my black Core case, of which I have already written a thread review but I often also get cases that look different for the hell of it (like the Macally Icesuit in black and orange), and most recently the C6 MFG Carbon Fibre Case.
I like the industrial styling of the case despite its obvious shortcomings, and the carbon fibre had me interested so I took the plunge. This is my take on the case.

The case comes in a basic plastic pocket held in a generic cardboard box, with a C6 black card, a clear protective sheet for the back of the nano, and the tool required to take the case apart.
After removing the top of the case I inserted the nano. The four corners of the nano slide into matching cut-outs in the four posts of the case keeping it in place - this is metal on metal however. The nano should be placed firmly against the back plate. The top plate it then screwed on, and thanks to the posts and the fact the bottom plate is slightly concave (at least on initial installation) the nano is firmly kept in place.
I've kept the belt clip on and it doesn't actually touch the back of the nano through the cut-out for the Apple symbol, which is a good thing, but at the same time its not the most secure of belt clips - the nano feels quite loose, and I for one wouldn't entirely trust it.
I wasn't impressed with the build quality. There is obvious tool marks and even chipping on the top plate around both of the screen and click wheel cut-outs. The Click wheel hole feels very rough to the touch and doesn't exactly make it a joy to use.
The top plate itself sits with a slight gap above the top of the nano, which as they don't supply a film for the face of the nano, is a welcome thing - in theory. After a days normal use, I removed the top plate to see dust everywhere. As it does allow dust in, and the top plate can be pushed into contact with the face of the nano, there is the possibility of the case causing some serious scratching to the nano. Glad I only got the case as I've had my Power Support crystal Films set installed for quite a while!
Customer service is also lacking. The case took 3 weeks to arrive from the States, and in my experience most take only 5 working days, tops. After two weeks I chased up the company and didn't receive a reply for days, and when it did come in I was told that my order was delayed by a shortage in materials. Why not tell your customers before they have to chase you up? Not impressed after the high standard of Core Cases customer services.

So all in all... a case that is only about the look. And even then due to the tool marks and chipping it fails a little. A stylish but fairly hopeless belt clip, obvious little protection (but then you aren't getting the case for that are you?) and a real chance of inflicting some damage on your nano.

I'd give it 4/10, only down to the fact its carbon fibre and the looks of the case. Should only be purchased for those reasons...... and if you have a protective film already installed!

I'll take some detailed pics if requested.

Last edited: