WARNING: New Nano 1GB(others) Possible mass defect- Face not flat

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

flashbackz

WARNING: New Nano 1GB(others) Face not flat NOT DEFECT-New Design heads up!!! :(

Hey well when the 1gb Nanos hit our apple store yesterday I deciced to take the plunge, picked up a Black Nano, Xtrememac sportwrap and a set of Power support crystal film(Just like I have on my 60gb black ipod video.

Anyway, once I got everything out the first thing I did was put my crytal skin on. It DID NOT work. There is a slight indentation that run all arround the ipod on the edge. So ~1mm from the edge the face for some reason slightly dips down and it causes a long thing air bubble down all of the edges of the ipod when you apply the crytal film(it goes down too low for the film to cling to).

So I took it back to the apple store and I had ot argue with some guy for about 10 minutes and he finally agreed to give me a new nano and a new set of crytal film.

Went home, whipped out everthing and AGAIN I could see that same slight indentation arroudn the entire nano, and again the crytal film could not cling to these areas!

Seeing as this has been two ipod for me, this may be a small problem or a mass one.... If your looking into getting a shield type protector your might want to hold off and see if other people are having this problem..

UPDATE: As guessed bellow, this is NOT a defect, this is how ALL new ipod nano(atleast the 1gb... for now are) The Crystal Film is now useless for the front so don't bother!

What are everyone's thoughs on how the something like the invisible sheild working on this design change? I've never used one so i'm not familiar with how they respond to curves

Update: here are some more pictures of hte ipod without hte cyrstal film... really hard to get a picture of and i don't feel like resizing them so here are the links

https://home.comcast.net/~flashback87/nano1.jpg
https://home.comcast.net/~flashback87/nano2.jpg
https://home.comcast.net/~flashback87/nano3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

TheLastSession

Website
www.myspace.com
That sucks man, the only thing I could think of as to it NOT being a defect would be that they raised the edges so that the iPod's entire face doesn't scratch as much?

flashbackz

UPDATE:
Worse news everyone... got to talk to a guy at the genius bar... it is NOT a defect... as someone above said, its a design change so that the nano's face doesn't all touch the surface when its laid on its face.. the Crylstal Film is now USELESS for the front so don't bother...

anyone think there will be any problems with the invisible shield?

newmie66

that's quite strange...i just got my nano today and applied an invisble shield...it worked fine!

flashbackz

cool, good to know the IS still works.... you see the Crystal Film works on the principle of "static cling" and when there is even a slight surface gap is doesn't stay stuck b/c there is no adhesive of any type....

i'm ordering my IS now :)

cody666

Quit your #####in

flashbackz said:
UPDATE:
Worse news everyone... got to talk to a guy at the genius bar... it is NOT a defect... as someone above said, its a design change so that the nano's face doesn't all touch the surface when its laid on its face.. the Crylstal Film is now USELESS for the front so don't bother...

anyone think there will be any problems with the invisible shield?
Or, you could quit your #####in, take matters into your own hands and cut 1mm from around the edge of your Crystal Film. You could use sissors or an exacto knife and straight edge. Wouldn't even be that hard.

felsi

Hello, my english is very bad, so i don't really understand, what's wrong with the new 1GB Ipod. Can anyone explain it in easy words, please?

Thx a lot. I'd like to buy the new Ipod, but i don't want a surprise. :)

tidytrev

anyone know if the battery life is affected due to the dip in screen power? if it adds a bit off battery life il go for the 1gb over the 2gb as im just about to buy one

jonnyk429

Website
www.thegizmoshack.com
felsi said:
Hello, my english is very bad, so i don't really understand, what's wrong with the new 1GB iPod. Can anyone explain it in easy words, please?

Thx a lot. I'd like to buy the new iPod, but i don't want a surprise. :)
We'll first of all it's only the 1 gig nano, the 2 gig and 4 gig are all fine and haven't been changed so far.
What the problem is with the 1 gig is that the screen it sunk into the ipod compared to the rest of the ipod's face.

dinostars

tidytrev said:
anyone know if the battery life is affected due to the dip in screen power? if it adds a bit off battery life il go for the 1gb over the 2gb as im just about to buy one
How does that make sense? Just wondering.

mightymouse

dinostars said:
How does that make sense? Just wondering.
Of course it makes sense- there was some talk about how the screen was less bright and all that- so if apple were to use hte same battery, but use less power to power the screen, then the battery life would increase. logic right?

felsi

Thx for the answer. Can anyone please make some pics from the new design. Thx

Last edited:

jbstingray

I got the same problem too, with the powersupport crytal film as well, but it doesn't look that bad without the film, you really don;t even tell.