Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What case I decided on and why

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-09-2006, 03:46 PM

Veteran Lounger

What case I decided on and why

I got my nano back in October of 2005 and I have been on the hunt for a case since I got it. If you don't care about which cases I have tried and what case I ended up with just go to the bottom of this post.

I don't remember when I saw the first nano case in stock but I know it was about a month after I had my nano. I bought the DLO Jam Jacket silicone case in black but there were two things that I had a problem with. It collected dust like nothing else and I was always trying to clean it off, and the screen protector part of it is a really soft, pliable plastic that I really didn't care for. The dust is the main reason I took it back. When I bought it they didn't have white available but when I returned the black one I ended up getting the white one thinking that the dust might not show up as easily. Well the white one had a major problem with the screen - it showed a lot of "wet spots". The black case didn't have that problem or maybe I was just lucky. The wet spots made the screen too difficult to see so I took it back as well.

At this point I purchased an Invisible Shield and have had it on ever since and have been happy with it. However, I don't consider this a case and I was still searching for a case to use at the gym or while working around the house. The main thing I needed now was a case that fit with the IS on. The main thing I wanted was a removable belt clip and possibly a lanyard. Didn't really care about an arm band.

So the next one I purchased was the DLO Action Jacket. There were three problems with this one. First was the "wet spots" effect which made the screen hard to read. Second problem was that the plastic on the case and the IS would kind of stick together so I had to stick a piece of thin cardboard up inside to separate it before I could pull it out. The third thing I didn't like was that it just didn't have a really good fit. I really had to stretch the neoprene over the bottom just so I could press the play button.

Next I found the Smoke belt clip which was okay but two problems with this one. The belt clip portion was practically flush with the back and was extremely hard to clip to my belt. The second problem was that the clips that hold the iPod in place were digging a lot into the IS. I know IS has lifetime replacements but I didn't want to be getting new replacements every few weeks.

Next I purchased the Rhinoskin Aluminum hard case. I really liked the design of it but the only problem was that I couldn't get the iPod in it with the IS on. I could get about 15% of it in and I knew if I pushed it any further I was either going to break the case or the iPod would never come out.

Early this week I purchased a DLO nanoshell. I thought that maybe since it had a removable back that it would fit better than in the Rhinoskin. Nope, still wouldn't fit. I could get one end in but not the other.

Yesterday I purchased the ezSkin nano which I liked but two problems with this one. First was that the silicone is very thin and since I only wanted it in the case for the gym and stuff I was worried that after pulling it out and putting it back in over and over again it may eventually rip. The second thing I didn't like was that the belt clip about tripled the size of the iPod.

Today I ended up going to a local place that I found on the web with intentions of getting the with the Contour Case iSee nano. They were really nice and let me try the case out and the fit was so tight with the IS and was hard to get out. As a sidenote I received an email today from Contourcase saying that the iPod with a skin will not fit in the iSee case. There were a few "wet spots" but nothing that I wouldn't be able to live with at the gym. I also looked at the ezGear clear case and clear case sport but didn't go for either since they didn't have belt clips.

So today I finally ended up with the ezArmor for nano. The iPod fits well even with the IS, it is made of anodized aluminum and it has a removable belt clip and removable lanyard. I am very happy with it and hope that my case hunt is finally over.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Topic: What case I decided on and why

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.