Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: ipod and washing machine - help!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-05-2006, 03:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

ipod and washing machine - help!

So, my daughter sent her ipod nano through the washing machine and it now filled with water. Obviously this is something Apple won't deal with directly, so I appeal to cyberspace. Any ideas on what can be done? How do I open the ipod to dry it out? My 1 year warrantee being voided at this point is not much of a concern. Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:12 PM

Pro Lounger

Most immediate recommendation: Don't try to turn this on after pulling it out If it has survived the washer and you try to turn it on before letting this dry out you risk shorting out the electronics. There have actually been a number of these kinds of reports for the iPod shuffle (which has a more enclosed design), which survived provided it was not turned on before allowing the electronics to dry out (more than 24 hours -- possibly 2-3 days). Check the forum threads with the search facility and good luck. I've not seen this kind of post for the nano. (I posted the first line and am editing the additional information to get the key line out first).

Okay, there are some additional survivor stories of iPods that came through the search utility. Sit the iPod on a towel and put it somewhere warm to dry off. You want to try to remove as much of the moisture as possible without forcing things open. Water alone is not the problem; it's the electrical shorts when you try to use the iPod that do the damage. Similarly, don't plug this in to charge while it's drying out. Time estimates of how long to let this sit seem to vary from a few days to a week. For laptops, when there are spills on the keyboard, the advice (apart from turning off the laptop and immediately trying to invert the laptop to minimize the amount of moisture that can reach the boards, and putting the whole thing on a towel), is generally about 48 hours to let this dry out. The more enclosed nature of the nano may make the wait longer before you can safely do anything. Another issue may be whether the soap has penetrated and depositied on the interior.

Last edited by moriond; 02-05-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:48 PM

Behind You

Place a small desklamp over the Nano to give it some gentle heat. Keep it face up as there are the tiny gaps around the click-wheel. Keep it under the lamp for about 24 hours face up. Then tilt the iPod so the light is directed at the bottom ports for a while, 12 hours or so. Then revert back to the first way, face up and give it another, well id say 24 hours to be sure.

It may work after that, but again, it may not, because it is such a tightly sealed unit.

Resist all temptation to turn it on until its had 2-3 days drying time.

iPod Touch 16GB | iPod 5G 30GB White | iPod Nano 2G 8GB Black | iPod Shuffle 2G 1GB
Old 02-05-2006, 06:12 PM

Reclined Lounger

http://www.macmerc.com/news/macmerc/...thread&order=0
Old 02-06-2006, 12:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

I've started the drying process using a desklamp. Luckily we have not tried to turn it on. I plan to run it for quite awhile to be on the conservative side before testing it. I'll report back. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:43 AM

Junior Lounger

If it still doesn't work, open it up and use rubbing alcohol to clean the circuit board....this'll get rid of any sediments that may have dried onto it. You could even just run the board under distilled water....it's not the water that does the damage, it's what's in the water.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

How do you open it up? If I get to that point I'd like to do it with minimum (or no) damage.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:15 AM

Junior Lounger

I've found that the best tool (besides the ones specifically made for the task that come with replacement batteries) is a thin guitar pick. Just slide it along the edges, undoing the clips. There are tutorials, just google it to see pictures if you need to.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:51 AM

Senior Lounger

Just wanted to wish you luck with this.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:32 AM

Jackonicko
Retired

I'd certainly open it up to maximise the airflow into every nook and cranny, Otherwise there's just too much danger of moisture being trapped. Once open I'd blow into it with a hairdrier on the coolest setting, from a significant distance.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:13 AM

Behind You

You probably do want to open it. However steer clear of hairdryers on any setting or from any distance. You need gentle, constant heat, nothing powerfull like a hairdryer, thats why I recommended a desk lamp. And as someone already said, it would have been better to do this when it happened, but you should run it under some 'clean' water, no soapy or salty water, its the deposits in those two that do the damage.

iPod Touch 16GB | iPod 5G 30GB White | iPod Nano 2G 8GB Black | iPod Shuffle 2G 1GB
Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 AM

Pro Lounger

Same thing happened to my balckberry.....I'd recommend opening it up (like they mentioned, a guitar pick is perfect, starting near one of the openings and very gently work your way around the edges. Once it is apart, avoid using a hair dryer or anything else...leave it under a very gentle heat so the water can evaporate (as Dale and others mentioned, it's not really the water that does the damage, its the salts, sugars or other contaminants in the liquids that damage the device and the circuitry).
I'd give it a good 3-4 days to dry out and then test it again. best of luck.

Do you wanna touch me there (yeah)
Old 02-08-2006, 11:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Good news! After drying the ipod under a desklamp for about 3 days (rotating it serveral times) the window went from looking like a porthole of a submarine to perfectly normal. Our water is not very hard and so I chose not to open it up to get residue out.

It fired right up and seems to have not suffered any negative consequences at all. It works just like new. What a relief!

Thanks very much to all who took the time to offer their advice, research the situation and just wish me luck. It turned out to be a pretty positive experience because of that.

Best to You All.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:29 AM

Digital Hooligan

Glad to hear all went well

T.

How many iPods does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
[4GB Black iPod nano | 15GB 3G iPod | UE super.fi 5 Pro's | B&O A8's [SOLD] | AKG K66's]
Old 02-09-2006, 08:23 AM

Pro Lounger

WOW! That is fantastic.....very happy for you! Thanks for sharing the good news with us.

Do you wanna touch me there (yeah)

Topic: ipod and washing machine - help!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.