Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do I roll back Ipod software update?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-05-2006, 02:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

How do I roll back Ipod software update?

I used the ipod updater to install a new version of the ipod software on my nano...I HATE the new version. I used to be able to see the volume, time progression and artist and song title with the old version. Now I can only see the album cover, and only that if I purchased the song from iTunes.

It seems to me that this new version of the software is geared more to the video versions of the ipod, and not toward nano users.

If I reset to factory settings and re-synch the ipod, will this resolve the issues and give me the older version of the software?

Anybody else have a fix? I can find no way to change the preferences on what shows on the nano screen to reolve the issue.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:48 PM

Power Lounger

Your best bet is to get the CD that came with your iPod, re-install that updater, and restore your iPod. Just make sure you have all of your files backed up first, because restoring it will erase everything.

Hope that works well for you.

13" MacBook 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 320GB HDD - OS X 10.6.1
80GB iPod Classic - "fredPod II"
8GB iPhone 3GS - "fredPhone"
Old 02-05-2006, 04:17 PM

VR4
Senior Lounger

I was just in the apple store yesterday and they told me that the firmware updates are permanent and there is no way to go back to 1.0. This is especially crappy because the 1.1 firmware doesn't work with Toshiba laptops
Old 02-05-2006, 11:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hmmm...does Apple appear to believe that this is a flaw? Do you think they will fix it in an upcoming release? I guess I don't mind getting the CD and fixing it that way...but I guess I bet uninstall the Ipod Updater before I go through that hassle...right?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:04 AM

Power Lounger

The firmware updates aren't permanent, but you have to use iPod Wizard to downgrade and reinstall the software.

13" MacBook 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 320GB HDD - OS X 10.6.1
80GB iPod Classic - "fredPod II"
8GB iPhone 3GS - "fredPhone"
Old 02-06-2006, 01:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

In the end...I just ended up restoring the ipod.

1st: I uninstalled the offending update.
2nd: I used the original updater to restore the ipod to v.1.0
3rd: I had to unplug/replug the ipod in the serial cable to get itunes to realize a new ipod was incoming.
4th: started re-copying my library

important: answer *no* and check *do not ask me again* about updating ipod to 1.1

Shame on Apple for releasing 1.1 without a way to choose your preferences on what exaclty get's displayed on your screen.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:05 PM

VR4
Senior Lounger

I'm a little slow here but can anyone help me out? The 1.1 firmware does not work with my Toshiba laptop. I took it to the Apple store and the tech support guy claimed that there's a problem with the USB drivers so that's why it won't work... if I try to plug my nano into my laptop again, it'll just die again

Anyway, can I go back to the 1.0 firmware by installing the software that came with the nano onto my roommates computer and then restore it? Or do I need to use that iPod Wizard software? Thanks in advance for any help.. I'm really regretting updating to 1.1
Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 PM

VR4
Senior Lounger

bump...
Old 02-08-2006, 03:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

I couldn't stand losing the backlight shortcut by holding down Play so I downgraded to 1.0
This is how I did it on my PC, no idea how to do it on a Mac.
I do not have my ipod set to syncronize my music to my PC, I just drag / drop / delete songs as I see fit. I don't know if the backup part I did will work if you auto-sync. If you do, just skip the backup steps (1 & 7), I only did it to keep the same songs on the Nano
Here are the steps:
1. Copy all of the files / folders from the Nano to my PC. Tips: turn on hidden files / folders first, make sure you have enough free HD space, you can hold crtl while dragging the iPod drive in My Computer to a folder or desktop to make it copy everything.
2. Uninstall the latest iPod updater that upgraded you to 1.1
3. (Machine wants to reboot so I think I did)
4. Install an iPod Updater version that has the 1.0 Nano firmware on it. I never used the CD that came with my Nano, so hopefully the updater is available on it, it should be. (I used a downloaded 2005-09-23 Updater)
5. (machine may want to reboot, I forget)
6. Run iPod Updater and hit Restore. It won't let you update, but a restore of this version will downgrade it to 1.0
7. Copy all of the files / folders from your backup back to the iPod
8. I think that is it. It worked for me.

Note: When I run the iPod Updater 2005-09-23 that I used to downgrade to 1.0, it tells me that my current firmware is still 1.1 I just noticed that as I write this. If I want to upgrade to 1.1 again, I'll probably have to do a restore since the newer Updater won't detect that my Nano has 1.0 on it (I think)

Hopefully Apple will bring back a backlight shortuct. I have my light set to be On Always in the car but when I take it out portable I want a quick way to shut it off, now I have no way of doing so. A shortcut to the main menu is nice, but it was only 3 clicks of the same button away before. There is no easy way to get the backlight on / off if you are set to always on.

Topic: How do I roll back Ipod software update?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.