Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Swimming in the Toilet

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-09-2005, 09:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

Swimming in the Toilet

So I was getting ready to go out on Friday and I was in the bathroom, in front of the mirror, about to brush my teeth. I was listening to my Nano (White 4GB) when it somehow slipped out of my hands, swung on the headphones, and dropped into the (clean) toilet, sort of like Tarzan swinging on a vine. I froze, staring at the glowing screen under the water. When I snapped to, my hand was in there pulling it out.

The screen was still on, although there was now a warning that said "This iPod does not support firewire" or some mumbo jumbo like that. I clicked the center button and everything was still working. In fact, I plugged my headphones and music was playing too. I even hooked it up to my computer and it was recognized in iTunes without a problem. Satisfied that it worked I shooked out the excess water, and tried to switch it off so it could dry. But it wouldn't!

Eventually I just left it under a warm light and I guess it shut off by itself. I left it like that over night.

The next day I switched it on and everything still seemed to be okay. But that firewire error kept appearing every ten seconds or so. I plugged it into my computer and figured I'd do a restore. Half-way through the restore, the ipod crapped out (or the computer hiccuped), and now it's giving me that exclamation-folder error.

This is my first ipod. I'm not familiar with how to deal with these things. Eventually, I formatted it like a regular hard drive through windows Explorer, then ran the restore. And I synced everything up.

It's been two days now, and no problems whatsoever.

I'd dropped this thing so many times, and now it's gone for a swim and it's still ticking! There have only been a few minor cratches on the back, but otherwise it's perfect. I've been listening to it for ages today.

So that's my little story. I've been a long-time lurker, but never really had anything of substance to post. Now I have.

The moral is: Don't freak out if your ipod goes for an accidentaly soak. Just a little patience and some resetting and you'll be a-ok. These things are built tough!

Last edited by Sevaan; 10-09-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 PM

Senior Lounger

You use your nano in the bathroom? o.O Glad to know it's okay though, these things can take some beatings.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 PM

Veteran Lounger

this is great for you, when i read the part where it fell in the toilet i was disguisted and was shocked. i thought you would be a goner. luckily things work out for you

welcome to the lounge.

30gb iPod photo- has been sent to my aunt. She loves it, and is very careful with it, as I've heard. Hopefully I can get it back when the battery dies or the hard drive fails.

30gb iPod video- just got it as of 12/13/05 YAY!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:25 PM

Reclined Lounger

Wow, nice story. I spilled water on my mini one time and totally freaked out. Just dried it up, knew itd be okay.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

When I lifted it out, water just streamed out through the docking and headphone connectors on the bottom, so the ipod was full

Gurpy: I use it everywhere. I was in and out whilst getting changed.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:21 PM

come fly with me...

wow, that's amazing.

wow.

I use my nano every where too, but in the bathroom I try to keep it attached to myself as much as possible.

4gb iPod nano
Old 10-09-2005, 11:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm suprized it didn't go all the way down the toilet due to it's smallness!

Black 2GB iPod Nano
Old 10-09-2005, 11:13 PM

Senior Lounger

Ohh cool, I usually just have my computer speakers blaring so I can hear it around the house if I want to (but my neighbours are far enough away that they cant hear a peep so its pretty cool that way) so I rarely use my nano inside the house, I guess thats why I thought it was a little weird. And lmao @ the smallness thing, that'd suck eh? *flush* WHAT THE HELL, WHERED MY NANO GO?!?!?!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:16 AM

Senior Lounger

wwow.... haha... i'll kill myself if my nano spoils..
Old 10-10-2005, 01:39 AM

Junior Lounger

Hi
I guess, this is another thread that proves these "iPod nano is less durable" gripers are full of hot air.

MacCheetah3
Apple Mac mini 1.5GHz G4, 1GB, 80GB, Combo, BT, APX, 19" LCD HDTV, 60GB iPod (5G)
Debug Computer Services http://www.click2debug.com
Old 10-10-2005, 04:02 AM

Senior Lounger

I have actually had one or two thoughts about dropping my Nano into the toilet by accident (just for the record, I don't use it when I'm in the restroom). "Don't freak out if your ipod goes for an accidentaly soak" may be reassuring words for some, but I still hope that my Nano never has to go for a swim, or even a splash.

Glad to hear your Nano's fine =) Thanks for the story.
-=MaStA ViC
Old 10-10-2005, 01:52 PM

Senior Lounger

^^ Yeah, I wouldn't mind if mine goes for a splash (I will be taking it skiing so some waters bound to hit it, but not a big deal) but if it went for a swim that'd really suck, because it might work fine for like a year..but it'll eventually rust up :/

Meh, in less than a year i'll probably get a new ipod anyways, so if it did go for a swim its still amazing itd work until then
Old 10-11-2005, 12:10 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Eventually, I formatted it like a regular hard drive through windows Explorer, then ran the restore
Sevaan, can you explain that a bit more. I understand the restore command through the iPod updater, right? But what do you mean you formatted it through Windows Explorer? Did you mount it like a hard drive? Then what?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:51 AM

Declined Lounger

After the cowpod, I'm waiting for a story on a smaller animal ingesting the Nano.

16Gb iPhone...
...but N95 paired with Gear4 BluEye + 32Gb Touch actually FTW.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekemom
Sevaan, can you explain that a bit more. I understand the restore command through the iPod updater, right? But what do you mean you formatted it through Windows Explorer? Did you mount it like a hard drive? Then what?
Well when I plugged in my ipod, it was recognized in My Computer as being an external harddrive, although it would give me an error when I tried to click on it. So I right-clicked on it and went to Format, and just went through that process. It was all of 3 seconds to do.

Topic: Swimming in the Toilet

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.