Problems with Nano and iHome iH5? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Problems with Nano and iHome iH5?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-28-2005, 01:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

Problems with Nano and iHome iH5?

My experience has been that the Nano does NOT work reliably with my iH5. When I insert the Nano in the dock, it is loose, but the connector seems to fit quite snugly and holds the Nano upright. The Nano also shows it is charging when docked, however I can't get it to play through the speakers.

I also have a 3g 20gb IPOD, and when I dock it on the iH5, it plays flawlessly every time, so the problem appears to be a compatability issue with the Nano and the iH5.

I also noted that on theihomeaudio site, they have announced a Nano connector for the iH5 will soon be available, and this should help it fit snugly, but I can't see that it will impact the ability to get it play.

Just to make this even more annoying, I did get it to work once with the Nano on the iH5, however I have not been able to get it work since, no matter what little square dance I do, turning off the Nano, then docking it, then turning the iH5 to ipod setting, etc. and so on.

Grrr. GRRRR I say!

Anyone else have any problems getting the Nano to play with the iH5 or any other speaker system where it will play through the connector?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:10 PM

No cross or double posting here. [url=http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7588]Forum Policy[/ur]
Old 10-01-2005, 10:14 AM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb

Well I did a little more testing with my Nano, and it also fails to play music through a Bose Sounddock or the Alt Lansing.
At the store (Fry's) they had a demo of the Nano and it also failed to play. The speakers worked fin with an IPOD Mini they had. Not sure what the deal is here - were both of these Nanos deffective, or is the Nano just not compatible with Pre-Nano speaker systems with dock connectors?

Back to the shop.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:55 PM

Junior Lounger

i love my ih5!

first, my gf gave me one of these for my bday and i love it. i have a 4g 40gb and it works fine.

another poster said their ih5 worked fine with the nano. the new insert should help - i cannot see why it would not work properly since the connector should be the same as previous ipods. listening to podcasts before i go to bed is the bomb.

my fav ipod accessory to date.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:18 PM

Pod obsessed

Our Nano works fine with my daughter's iHome and Logic3 portable speakers. Sorry I don't have any suggestions but I hope you get it worked out!

Pam

Pam
Old 10-09-2005, 06:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up

UPDATE: It's working and I am a monkey for not figuring this out sooner.

A simple reboot of the Nano was all it took. As long as I've been working with computers, I don't know why it took me so long to figure this out - had this been a computer problem, it would be the first thing I would have tried.

So now the Nano works perfectly fine with the iHome. The adapter included with the Nano does not fit it, but I'm real OK with that.

The Ihome has remarkably good sound quality, bass and volume for speakers of this size, particularly for the sub $100 price.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:50 PM

Senior Lounger

I'm glad you posted about this b/c I was wondering about compatibility.

Okay, a simple "reboot". did you mean while the nano was connected to the ihome? Or not, Mitch.

I love my iHome with my 20g 4G photo iPod. Bought the daughter the nano and would like to eventually get her an iHome as well (mainly b/c I LOVE mine!!)
Old 10-10-2005, 10:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

Cool

Just rebooted it while it was not connected. After it came back up, I was able to dock it without any problems. It't now been docked and undocked from the iHome a dozen or more times, and it continues to work just fine without needing another reboot. Go figure.

As for the iHome, I'm quite impressed with the sound quality for a sub $100 speaker dock.

Topic: Problems with Nano and iHome iH5?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.