Cracked lcd

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

HawkiPod

So it looks like my wife cracked her screen today. It was in her front pocket all day and she took it out and noticed the crack. We tried calling apple to see if they could do anything but they said they couldn't. What do you recommend we do? Are there any good places to get it repaired? Thanks.

Attachments

kloan

SSMoy
god, not another one... looks like someone was right afterall eh guys??

matty1979

Website
www.matthewdotcom.com
kloan said:
god, not another one... looks like someone was right afterall eh guys??
I'll wait for a few more before I give the big I told you so. I actually posted a site to ipodnanoflaw.com. It's calm cool and collected. Give it a read and a thought. Bull whatever, do you work for apple or are you just here to mock anyone with a post. And this is an Apple design flaw. You don't have to do anything crazy. It will just break.

t3homni

Damn, that must've sucked... o_0

Did she do anything crazy to it, because if it's just plain weak then you should complain to Apple.

HawkiPod

She says that she wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, it was just in her pocket all day. She talked to the people at apple but they wouldn't help her. I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow to see if I can get any answers.

kloan

SSMoy
I'm looking at some posts on apples discussion forums, and there are others with the same problem.

One guy spent a long time on the phone with Apple, and they finally conceeded that if the crack occured on the lcd itself, and there is no damage or crack to the outer housing, then they would have their technicians look at it and most likely replace it.

There are a few people reporting dead lcds, or with bars running across their screens...

I think once again they used some s**t manufacturer that doesn't know what quality control means.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.68b95456
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.68b97a91

Last edited:

gouged

kloan, do you happen to know what color the 3 other users own? just curious

HawkiPod

I just got done reading the posts on the apple discussion board. I guess my wife isn't the only one with this problem.

matty1979

Website
www.matthewdotcom.com
well I just looked at the Apple forums and it is nice to see they are letting other people talk about their cracked LCD's, even after they deleted my initial post which was exactly like the posts they have left of other people, but that's another day in court. Pretty soon it might be right next to the ipod battery replacement link, or important safety recall for batteries. I think this is going to come out as a design flaw. If anyone needs help putting their foot in their mouth for mocking me I am avaliable most weekends.

Last edited:

shixun

Überlounger
Website
forums.ilounge.com
There have been similar problems reported with the screens on the SD series of Canon Digital Elph cameras. There are over a dozen reviews of the SD200 on Amazon, mostly between January and May, 2005, indicating that the LCD cracked without obvious trauma to the camera. Canon, like Apple, will not repair the screens under warranty.

matty1979

Website
www.matthewdotcom.com
shixun said:
There have been similar problems reported with the screens on the SD series of Canon Digital Elph cameras. There are over a dozen reviews of the SD200 on Amazon, mostly between January and May, 2005, indicating that the LCD cracked without obvious trauma to the camera. Canon, like Apple, will not repair the screens under warranty.

Which is BS. The Nano includes the screen. Thats like saying here buy this car, but the steering wheel isn't under warranty and if it comes off, have fun driving it.

kloan

SSMoy
Re: Picture is F A K E people

MuzikKlepto said:
LOL. Good Call! When you zoom in on the top left corner of the screen, the blue lines go up past the LCD. hmm?:confused:
The LCD doesn't completely illuminate. As you can see it has a thin border.. the LCD cracked and has extended past the part of the screen that lights up, but it's still part of the LCD.

I just don't see the logic in accusing people of lying, when this is starting to look like a serious problem.. it's making me think twice about buying, that's for sure.

I don't think it's necessarily a design flaw, if there is no pressure being exerted to the LCD, since the nano is just sitting innocently in a pocket, then there has to be another cause. Faulty LCDs. Maybe the inverter is malfunctioning and causing the LCD to overload, overheat, or some other reason that would cause it to crack under some sort of stress.

It seems pretty darn clear to me this is a real problem, and needs to be adressed by Apple. I'm sure it will be too soon enough...

When someone's LCD cracks through no fault of their own, it's not right to accuse them of mistreating their nano, and refusing to replace it.

Last edited:

teh-cut

Well, thats what i get for finally jumping on the apple bandwagon :)

This definetly reminds me of the canon sd camera lcd issues. I'm hoping with so many sold if this is a real issue it will be addressed either voluntary or eventually by force aka class action.

Warnie

I do belive that this issue with the LCD cracking is just unfortunate incidences. There must be a bad batch of nanos out there. I purchased four of them and gave them to friends and relatives, and none of them have any problems. And since it doesn't crack when you drive a car over it, I'm pretty sure it's sturdy enough.

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
I don't think it's quality control, if the front plastic is simply too thin.

I read the site, and I tried minimally pressing my nano screen (didn't want to break it by testing it strength!)

It does seem to flex. Actually, I don't think it's the thickness but maybe the material they use. I'm imagining that Apple would choose based on cosmetic reasons, rather than durability.

I'll have to make sure I look for a case with screen protection I guess (just to be on the safe side.)

shixun

Überlounger
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Warnie said:
I do belive that this issue with the LCD cracking is just unfortunate incidences. There must be a bad batch of nanos out there. I purchased four of them and gave them to friends and relatives, and none of them have any problems. And since it doesn't crack when you drive a car over it, I'm pretty sure it's sturdy enough.
As has been emphasized previously, the display broke BEFORE they drove the car over it. Their endpoint was when the nano stopped playing music entirely. Unless you'd be happy with a nano with a broken display that was still able to play music, that Ars Technica stress test just doesn't mean that much.

Last edited:

Pekkle

Well, I wish you the best luck.. I have always heard good stories about filing complain with CC company, however my story are totoally different.. so wish you luck on that.. and hope you get a new something else besides a nano from that $250. :D and wish me luck that my screen don't break.. aww.. I can feel your guys's pain.. $250 isn't the end of the world, but certainly is when it's on days old.. not to mention a lot of people have to save up that $250 just to buy it..

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Matty,
Please cease with the constant references to members IQ levels - its rude, and ultimately will just get their backs up. And when the insults start to fly we have to either remove posts or close threads down to diffuse the situation.

Also, unless we are going to have multiple threads on this try and stay on topic so others wishing to read about this subject don't have to wade through pages of pointless conversation.