NANO Sound Quality: A review - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: NANO Sound Quality: A review

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-10-2005, 01:10 AM

Reclined Lounger

NANO Sound Quality: A review

I picked upa 4 gig Nano at 8:00pm at Best Buy. Believe it or not they got a drop shipment in at 7:30pm after selling out of the morning shipment.

I own a 3rd gen, a 4th gen (black and white) and a Mini. I have been doing intensive side by side comparisons of the sound quality using a variety of headphones including my trusty Grado 60's.

I have been very happy with the sound quality of the 4th gen (B&W). It is superior to the 3rd gen and mini in a variety of ways.

I was skeptical of the Nano...so small and so very cool looking...but how would it sound.

I am STUNNED. The Nano, from first listen, is noticably different from the 4th gen. The top end is completely open on the Nano...every song sounds like a veil has been lifted. Detail is significantly better on the Nano..accross the audio spectrum. I am hearing subtle detail on the Nano that is hidden on the 4th gen. The bass is tighter than the 4th with full extension. There is plenty of bass on this baby.

Wow...perhaps this is how good the shuffle sounds (never listen to one) but the NANO wins hands down in my comparison. Simply fantastic.

I do not hear any of the wierd, piano shimmering artifact that some experienced on the color 4th gen. But then again...I don't have a 'color 4th gen so I'm not sure exactly what folks are hearing.

Sigh...I may have to pick up another Nano I like the sound of this one so much!

The Best Buy sales drones were getting pounded with people calling for the NANO. I just happened to walk in just as the second shipment arrived! I got the last 4gig Nano in the box.

Tom

Last edited by Freud; 09-11-2005 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:20 AM

Junior Lounger

i have to agree w/ you
i owned a 3G, 1G Mini, and a shuffle before

this nano that i got today is really impressive in the bass response area
i was worried that the bass wouldn't be as strong as the shuffle, but after 2 hrs testing w/ a truckload of techo songs i officialy declare that the nano is as good as the shuffle

Last edited by C-Dub; 09-10-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:02 AM

Freshman Lounger

I also agree that this thing rocks in the sound deparment. I also had a 3g and 4g and did side by side listening tests and the nano won hands down. The instruments and bass come out a lot clearer and without any distortion.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:19 AM

Senior Lounger

So its far better than the mini? The main problem with the mini was its rather crappy sound quality. Also, whats the amplification like? I found that the mini's struggled on high powered headphones.. It was never capable of clear full volume sound, so the nano is a step forwared is it? The 4th gen ipod's have clear sound, but i was a tad disapointed with the mini.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:38 AM

Reclined Lounger

Hi Freud,

Yes, I think you would find that the Shuffle sounds similar to the nano. I haven't listened to the nano, but from your description I found a similar comparison with the Shuffle and the Mini.

The current other iPods sound fine in that you don't notice any particular deficiencies or flaws (except maybe the color iPod, haven't tried either). But then you listen to the Shuffle, and you notice how great it sounds! I'm sure different headphones can compensate to some extent, but it's nice to have something that sounds great with almost anything.

Enjoy!
Old 09-10-2005, 11:59 AM

bav
Reclined Lounger

Re: NANO Sound Quality: A review

Quote:
Originally posted by Freud
I picked upa 5gig Nano at 8:00pm at Best Buy. Believe it or not they got a drop shipment in at 7:30pm after selling out of the morning shipment.

Where in the hell did you get a 5gig nano from??
Old 09-10-2005, 12:06 PM

Senior Lounger

Re: Re: NANO Sound Quality: A review

if you look to the end of his post it shows itsa 4Gb :P guess its a typo, or to make ppl jelious

Quote:
Originally posted by bav

~~~~~~~~~~
Owner of:
orginal 3rd Gen iPod
Waiting for:
iPod nano
Old 09-10-2005, 12:46 PM

Power Lounger

might be helpful if you state which headphones you were using. i find the stock ear buds to be more raspy than my Grados. then again, 2 rather different types of headphones.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:31 PM

Junior Lounger

I'm enjoying it immensely with Apple in-ear headphones. The only artifact I've heard is a tiny bit of bass distortion on real bass guitar tracks. Hip hop type bass sounds fine, but real bass guitar distorts a little when it's really strong (The Lemon Song, for example).
Old 09-10-2005, 04:40 PM

Veteran Lounger

The shuffle sounds noticeably better than my 3G, and i'm certainly no audiophile. So yer, from your description i'm guessing the nano sounds just as good.

20 GB 3G | 4 GB nano | 512 MB shuffle | 2826 songs, 8.5 days, 15.45 GB
2.16 GHz MacBook Pro | 1 GB RAM | 100 GB HDD

iTunesRegistry.com: 2,069 tracks, 3.076 diversity
My Audioscrobbler
Old 09-10-2005, 07:02 PM

bdb
On the B side of life

Re: Re: NANO Sound Quality: A review

Quote:
Originally posted by bav
Maybe it was a Zen Nano.

But yeah, I agree with the earlier poster - if you don't state what headphones you used, a review doesn't mean a lot. Many devices will sound equally bad with the stock Apple buds.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:23 AM

Senior Lounger

Bump for more discussion.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:07 AM

Reclined Lounger

The primary headphones I used for comparison purposes were the Grado 60's/Sony V6/Shure E4C's.

More listening today and I continue to be very impressed by the Nano. I keep looking at the thing as I'm listening thinking "yikes how technology has advanced".

Until 1999 I used an old metal Sony D6 diskman (1988 build) to listen to my music (when portability was needed.) I hated the 90's vintage portable CD players. No amplification, bizzare bass boost mechanisms, just awful sound.

I was "okay" with the sound of the 3rd gen Ipod. The 4th Gen sounded quite different than the 3rd...and I prefered the 4th.

The Nano has taken me back to the sound of my old metal box/Sony. Deep but tight bass with a wide soundstage. No excess sibblance on high notes, smooth through the mid-range. Plenty of volume for my old ears.

Very nice indeed.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:18 PM

Power Lounger

well that's good, you actually used quality headphones. not that the Apples are bad, but they aren't on the same level as the ones you used.

how did the E4Cs sound compared to the Grados, when listening to the Nano? i love my SR-60s, but the open design doesn't make them too practical as an out-and-about headphone, in my opinion. i hate when i hear people playing their music loud enough for me to hear it, so i don't want to burden people with that. i'd like to get a nice set of ear buds, but i question their sound compared to my SR-60s. is it comparable? is there any magnification of outside noise?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:31 AM

Senior Lounger

Freud, appart from a Series 2 Mini/4th Gen 20gb iv never used a ipod, and these two i have both taken back due to inadequicy's with something or other, the 4th gen was defected, and the mini just wasnt up to the sound quality i want. So you feel that the Nano actually represents diskman quality amplification and sound quality?

Topic: NANO Sound Quality: A review

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.