Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Playlists & new songs will not update on iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-02-2005, 10:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

Playlists & new songs will not update on iPod

Hello,

I need some help please. My iPod will not update my songs or my playlist changes. The only way I know how to do it is to uninstall iTunes, reinstall, and then download all 2000 songs back on to the iPod. Of course, this is a major pain, but for some reason, this gets everything on the iPod.

I cannot understand why the iPod will not automatically update the songs and playlist changes while in the cradle. The computer sees the iPod just fine. I have tried everything - manual mode, automatic mode, selected playlist mode..... NOTHING seems to work.

Do you think it may have something to do with the fact that my work computer has some firewall or something? I just don't know what else I can try.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:50 AM

Welcome to the lounge,

First, are you sure you are on automatic update? What kind of changes are you making?

Next. If you connect your iPod and need to make new changes, you have to either go to "File-->update iPod" to tell it to update, or disconnect it and reconnect it to get an update. The iPod only updates on a single connect. After it's connected and does it's update you have to tell it to update or reconnect it to get an update.

If you are on manual update, you have to make all changes directly to the iPod in the source menu of iTunes.

Stuart

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

I tried "Update iPod" as well. It still only tries to update anything that I had previous to adding new music or editing playlists.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:22 PM

Could you give a little more information on what you are doing. What do you mean "It still only tries to update anything that I had previous to adding new music or editing playlists."

Read iPod 101/article on iPod synchronization here and see if that helps you understand the process: http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php/...-a-hard-drive/

I can't know for sure if the issue is you, the computer, iTunes, or the iPod, without a few more details on exactly what you are doing.

Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yeah, unfortunately, I have read all of that before. I guess we'll take it from the beginning. I had a computer previously, and I moved to another country. I used the iPod in disk mode to bring down the songs as data files, and then placed them on the new computer. I then deleted everything from the iPod and took it off of disk mode. I installed iTunes from the website, as if I had bought a new iPod. I added all of my songs that I had brought down. Everything was fine.

Now, everytime I would buy songs, or create a playlist, etc. I would expect that the iPod would update its "library" with the library on my computer. However, this is not the case. It doesn't recognize anything that I have done since it was last docked. It doesn't matter if I restart the computer, manually hit "Update iPod", or even drag the items over in manual mode. Essentially, the computer recognizes the iPod connection, but I can't get the iPod to update with each new song that I put on the computer's library. The only way that I have been able to do it is to erase iTunes from my computer and start the entire process all over again.

In addition, resetting the iPod has not worked when I have tried.

Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:15 PM

Have you tried a restore of the iPod through the iPod software? (this will erase the iPod completely, but leave iTunes intact), perhaps there is something on the iPod side and it just needs a clean slate?

What versions of iPod software/iTunes are you using at present?

I'd download the latest iPod software from apple and restore the iPod, and then make sure you have the latest iTunes as well. If it's purchased music that is not transfering to the iPod is probably a software issue between iTunes and the iPod, you need the most recent software on both the iPod and iTunes for purchased music to be transferred to the iPod reliably. Also make sure that these purchased songs are authorized on your computer. Double click them and make sure they play in iTunes. This could be another reason why purchased music isn't transfered.

Good luck,
Stuart

Links to common ?'s

Topic: Playlists & new songs will not update on iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.