Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Asked to turn off Ipod on airplane..?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-02-2003, 01:36 PM

Pleather BarcaLounger

The central problem with this topic is that there is far too much inconsistency on the part of the airlines. I would regrettably live with the decision if the airlines or FAA made a judgement and told passengers that personal electronic devices were no longer safe for operation during flights. However as long as this is not the case, airlines are sending a completely conflicting message by installing Ethernet ports on planes for passenger use, offering complimentary DVD players to first class passengers, etc? Furthermore it is even more confusing to passengers when the flight crew picks and chooses what can and can't be used on planes especially when often times it is clear that the flight attendants know far less about the devices and how they work than the passengers using them.

I believe the FAA must create some clear and concise ground rules that serve as a starting point for what is and what isn't allowed to be operated during flights, even if there is a specific product list which includes allowed/disallowed brands, models, and device types based on testing. Secondly, those rules must state a course of action in the event of a problem, such as "All personal electronic devices must be immediately turned off in the event of ANY interference with the plane's navigational systems or operation." It seems absurd to me that if there were any interference at all, that the flight crew would approach one passenger and ask him to turn off his device. I think all personal devices should be immediately shut off in that instance.

Bottom Line: The FAA and/or Airlines need to deliver a consistent message to passengers AND the flight crews detailing and outlining the use and operation of personal electronic devices during commercial flights.

I think this would result in a much more cooperative attitude from passengers. Agree?

: 80 gig Video iPod : Etymotic ER-6i buds : Sony MDR-V900 phones : Sonic Impact i-Fusion Speakers : Contour Design Showcase : 6500+ Songs : Win XP Pro :

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:54 PM

Long Time Podder

Hey Nitro, you made many good points and didn't feel the need to insult anyone in the process. If only everyone on these forums took that approach it would be a more enjoyable experience for all.

But I completely agree, interference by any electronic device that disrupts a pilots ability to fly or navigate the plane should result in the immediate discontinuation of their use. It will be a simple way to let the passengers know that what they are doing in their seats could possibly have serious consequences in the cabin. Much like current announcements by pilots to fasten seatbelts during particularly rough turbulence. a request to shut off electronic devices would go a long way to sending a clear message to passengers.

Sure such an announcement may illicit groans and some protests but I believe for the most part people will more than likely comply. And for those who do not a gentle reminder from the crew should remedy the situation.

As far as the way in which the FAA has managed the use of electronic devices to date I think it goes without saying that they have sent out a mixed message at best. By allowing for the use of amenities by first class passengers but at the same time asking those in coach to shut down their devices they detract from the credibility and seriousness of the use of these items in flight.

2nd Gen 20 Gig, 3rd Gen 15 Gig*
2005 Update - Sold the 2nd Gen 20, "TAP'D" the 3rd Gen 15 and now have a 4th Gen 60 gig iPod Photo, 1 Gig Shuffle, 2 Gig Black Nano, and 60 gig iPod Video.
Win XP/Win2K Combo Setup*
iMac 17" G5 (2nd Rev)
iBook 12" G4
Old 10-02-2003, 05:48 PM

Jackonicko
Retired

Oh do get over it Spidey! (Else I'll have to use the i-word again...., cos I am feeling the need....)

1) Clearly, in the long term, there will have to be an outright ban or a list of approved devices, which have been cleared for operation within an aircraft cabin. The latter would be expensive, however, since separate clearances would be required for individual aircraft types.

2) Inconsistency is to be condemned, except that what we may sometimes see as inconsistency may not be. The complimentary DVD player supplied by the airline has probably been checked and may even have been suppressed, while the DVD player carried on by someone in coach will not have been. The rules up front may not only reflect inequality of treatment, but might also reflect (say) the positioning of the aircraft's GPS antenna (often above the centre or rear fuselage) or the nature of any extra EM protection in the soundproofing or the cabin liners in the first class cabin. The airline may even have gone to the expense of conducting a full EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) survey in the forward cabin, but not in the rear. After all, if a Business Class passenger can't use his laptop he might move his custom (and the big profit on premium price tickets) to a rival airline, whereas the impact of little Johnny not being able to use his gameboy back in coach may have less of an impact on the bottom line.

Maybe their market surveys have even suggested to them that other passengers don't like the 'Tsss Tsss Tsss' emanating from the headphones of MP3 player users, and maybe they think they have a commercial reason for discouraging the use of such devices? I'm in this industry, and I don't pretend to know all the answers, but I do know that it's even less likely that the ordinary passenger even knows the questions.

3) A "turn off all devices" warning may have its uses, but if an airline knows from experience that the use of laptops in the rearmost seven rows (say) causes a particular problem then going directly to a pax in one of those rows may be a more appropriate course of action.

4) The airlines don't care what you think. They just want you to sit down, sit still, shut up, and not move about. If it were safe they'd probably want you quietly listening to your iPod (cos it will keep you quiet), so the fact that they're worried about it ought to give you some pause for thought. They certainly don't want to waste time and money arguing their case and engaging in dialogue with the passengers. If it makes life easier for them, they'll just ban electronic devices.

That's why it's a better idea to do what they tell you without argument and without question.

"If only everyone on airplanes took that approach it would be a more enjoyable experience for all."......

Last edited by Jackonicko; 10-02-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:57 PM

Bob

Everyone, please keep to the topic and no further comments which are veiled flame-bait, otherwise the cabin crew will have no option but to remove your keyboards.
Drinks will be served shortly and the film on todays flight is "Ice Age"...............

Bob

Old 10-02-2003, 06:38 PM

Pleather BarcaLounger

Good points Jacko! And you are correct, the airlines don't care what we think. However, while there may be some very valid explanations and they may be providing better shielded DVD players to their first class passengers, it is the lack of knowledge and/or explanation from the flight crew that ultimately causes the guy in seat 15B to argue when he is asked to turn off his iPod when he can look over his shoulder and see the chick in 17E listening to her Cd player and at the same time look forward to see the guy in 12A playing Solitaire on his laptop with no hassles. (Sorry about the run-on sentence) I agree, ideally, there should be no argument and passengers should trust that there is a real reason why they are being asked to comply with the flight crew's request. However, as long as passengers perceive inconsistencies or preferential treatment, they will continue to complain and put up a struggle. That's just the way folks are these days. They want to know why. If there is a problem, as much as I hate to say it because I've logged a ton of hours on planes listening to various music devices, there should just be a general ban on personal electronic devices. Case closed. Done.

: 80 gig Video iPod : Etymotic ER-6i buds : Sony MDR-V900 phones : Sonic Impact i-Fusion Speakers : Contour Design Showcase : 6500+ Songs : Win XP Pro :
Old 10-02-2003, 06:40 PM

Long Time Podder

Your right MadPict if I've contributed at all to even a "veiled" flame-bait I apologize. Some things just don't have any place in these forums and that is one of them.

Now back on topic...

Ice Age?! Why can't I ever get a decent movie on any flight I am on. Oh well might as well listen to my 'Pod.

2005 Update - Sold the 2nd Gen 20, "TAP'D" the 3rd Gen 15 and now have a 4th Gen 60 gig iPod Photo, 1 Gig Shuffle, 2 Gig Black Nano, and 60 gig iPod Video.
iMac 17" G5 (2nd Rev)
iBook 12" G4
Old 10-02-2003, 06:52 PM

Bob

I watched Ice Age, on one of those tiny LCD seatback screens which you can hardly see, and thought it was great. Very clever CGI and far better than some of the dross that passes as entertainment these days. Maybe it is because I appreciate the time and effort employed in these films that makes it a worthwhile way to spend a couple of hours. Went and got it on DVD!
Biggest mistake I made recently was going to see The Matrix Reloaded instead of Finding Nemo - now I'll have to suffer the twitching, popcorn scrunching, seatback kicking, endless chatter of the kids when it comes out next week.................
Bah humbug..........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been busy - I have scraped the innards out of my old Walkman and the iPod fits in there nicely. Now will the airlines ban cassette tape players??

Bob

Old 10-02-2003, 07:23 PM

Jackonicko
Retired

But now you've admitted it Bob, we'll have to circulate your picture and a picture of your iPod to all airlines, saying "Please smash one of these to bits with a hammer, and apply 240 V to the gonads of the other."

Because we do need to take this issue seriously.......

And because you've been bad, I'm not telling you what kind of airplane I just listened to my Pod in, nor how difficult it was because of the flying helmet......

But it seemed to suffer no ill effects from pulling about 7 g, and though it's several years since I did that, nor did I, to my surprise!

Old 10-02-2003, 07:39 PM

Bob

Oh go on tell me.....................

Bob

Old 10-02-2003, 07:54 PM

Long Time Podder

Have to agree with you there MadPict. Ice Age is definitely a better quality film than you usually get for your 9 bucks nowadays.

I thought Monsters Inc. was hilarious and loved both Toy Story films. Actually the one CGI film I didn?t think lived up to the hype was one of the most popular - Shrek.
I know in that instance it is probably just me but I expected quite a bit when I sat down to watch that one based on the hype and was a bit disappointed when it was over.

Take a peek at Pixar's next offering....

http://www.pixar.com/theater/trailer...les/index.html

iMac 17" G5 (2nd Rev)
iBook 12" G4
Old 10-02-2003, 09:02 PM

Dismember

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackonicko

But it seemed to suffer no ill effects from pulling about 7 g, nor did I, to my surprise!
Let us be the judge of that my friend....

So, which earphone sounds best at 7 g, the Senn's, or the E888's? Either one would have to be pretty uncomfortable though at those types of pressures--maybe the Shure's, with their foamies would be better? On the other hand, if you black out, I suppose it probably doesn't matter much...

Chris and his infamous clipped Calvinpod

Last edited by dmt1; 10-02-2003 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:26 AM

Pleather BarcaLounger

Can't wait for Finding Nemo's DVD release in November!

Old 10-03-2003, 10:30 AM

Dismember

Saw that one with my kids--awesome kids flick (actually not to bad for adults either, although my all time favorite kids movie for adults is "Shrek" --obviously differing tastes from Spidey, but I though the way all the different fairy tales wove in and out, and some of the veiled humor was funny), followed closely by "Time Bandits"...

By the way any of these films are much better than "Matrix Reloaded," don't know why ANYONE would pick that over "Finding Nemo"; must have been the altitude combined with an unpressurized cabin...And Bob, I caught the thing about veiled flame bait, but you never said anything about unveiled flame bait...

Old 10-03-2003, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dmt1
...followed closely by "Time Bandits"...
Don't touch that. It's eeeevvviiiiillllllllll.

Adam

Old 10-03-2003, 11:12 AM

Dismember

"Do you steal candy from small children?"

"Whenever we can!!"

Topic: Asked to turn off Ipod on airplane..?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.