Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: help, my ipod got submerged in water and now it doesnt work

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-05-2005, 03:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

help, my ipod got submerged in water and now it doesnt work

Ok, heres the story. The other day i dropped my ipod into the toilet. Not my fault, it just jumped out of my pocket and found the most inconvenient place to land. after a second or two of hesitation the cost of the ipod came to mind so i reached in after it. i dried it off to the best of my ability, using q-tips to dry out all the ports. i let the ipod sit for about an hour to dry out any moisture on the inside. it was in the standby mode when i first dropped it and since i couldnt disconnect the battery i thought this would be best for letting it dry out. i came back to it about an hour or so later and found that is still didnt work, moisture was condensating on the inside of the screen and the ipod was warm to the touch. The fact that it was warm startled me so i frantically looked for info on how to take out the battery. I did so and took a hairdryer to the insides. I left the ipod apart to dry even more for a few hours. Finally i came back to it, reconnected everything, and played around with it a little more. i eventually got to a point where the screen is white and when you press menu or the center button the screen turns off until you let the button go.
the screen turns off after about 2-5 seconds if either of those two buttons aren't pressed. once you press either of those two buttons the screen turns on again. all the other buttons seem to do absolutly nothing as does the scroll wheel. ive diconnected the battery & hdd to see if somehow that would reset it and have, through trial and error, found that i get the same symptoms when the battery is connected but the hard drive isnt. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and if it helps, this is the ipod photo 60 gb model.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:02 PM

Junior Lounger

dang your screwed
Old 05-15-2005, 02:32 PM

Grade-A Beef

Have you ever seen water evaporate in as little as one hour, sitting inside an air conditioned house?

1 day wouldn't even be long enough to let it sit to dry out. The worst thing you can do to a wet electronic device is try and turn it on or use it. You fiddled with it way too much, probably causing even more damage to the unit.

Best thing to do when an electronic device gets submerged in water: turn it off (and if it is already off, do not, under any circumstances, try and turn it on -- even to check and see if it's "ok"), dry it off the best you can, and let it sit for at least two days, possibly more.

I second homie2's answer: yer screwed. Having the iPod around any kind of water is a risk, and not something that I would suggest doing. Take a crap in silence if you have to -- it's not worth breaking the iPod over.

Power Macintosh G4/500 PCI
OS X 10.4.1 1024MB RAM 40GB + 60GB + 120GB Pioneer DVR-107 Radeon 7000 PCI + Rage 128 PCI, dual 17" Apple Displays

iPod photo 60GB
Old 05-15-2005, 03:42 PM

Pro Lounger

Haha. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Judas. The best thing you could have done is to open it up, and just let it sit for a few days.

You may still get lucky, but I doubt it. But, leave it alone, make sure it's totally dry, and give it another shot in a couple days.

Old 05-15-2005, 04:08 PM

Inside wants out

Forgive me but how does an iPod "jump" out of someone's pocket ?

Music is like tipping, you only pay when it's deserved ...
Old 05-15-2005, 08:00 PM

Grade-A Beef

It doesn't -- when he said, "It's not my fault," he really meant, "It was an accident which by no means excuses me from the liability of my actions, meaning it is absolutely, positively, 100% my own fault."

People these days seem to have a tendency to place the blame elsewhere instead of standing up and being an upstanding human being and admitting to their screw ups.

I'm supposing he thinks it's the toilet's fault or something, unless he had someone else in the bathroom with him -- who else can he blame it on? He was the only one in the bathroom, so if course it's his fault, whether he put it in the toilet on purpose or by accident.

Power Macintosh G4/500 PCI
OS X 10.4.1 1024MB RAM 40GB + 60GB + 120GB Pioneer DVR-107 Radeon 7000 PCI + Rage 128 PCI, dual 17" Apple Displays

iPod photo 60GB
Old 05-17-2005, 07:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

Mate, you're screwed, simple. That'll teach you for listening to the iPod on the bog.

There was an incident in Melbourne Australia recently where some kid put his iPod through the washing machine, and went he went to open it it exploded on him, burning a hole in his bed and he had to go to hospital with noxious gas inhalation.

Better get yourself a new one. Get a waterproof case for it though.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well, i dropped my iPod mini down the toilet like 10 mins ago lol, no joke,i had it on my belt clip, and somehow as i was pullin my trousers up, BEFORE i flushed.... it flew into the loo, dunno how...yes i did wipe it with a towel, thank f**k i didnt have direa...

I just thought "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" cos its pretty new and no refund as its engraved.

It works now for some reason, i just walked back into the room shaking it about water going up the walls, huffed and puffed into the ports, tryed to switch on, and it was in the same state i dropped it thank god, was in the middle of a good MJ song

Anyway i dont have anything that could help you exept whats been said lol, jus let it dry and pray for your poor ipods life....

P.S anyone tryed that iSkin, looks good, want the point of someone whos used one...

Last edited by NixhiPod; 06-25-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

im afraid your ipod is dead...

Aol Instant Messenger-Lpskaterpunkdude
http://www.myspace.com/some######
Old 06-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

THERE'S HOPE! Btw, is there anyway to look underneath the clickwheel? Maybe for residue or somn...
Old 06-30-2005, 04:39 AM

insertioncom
Banned

I got mine in washing machine,

it does not work any more even i tried so many options, so just throw it away
Old 07-03-2005, 07:16 AM

Reclined Lounger

iPod in the toilet.
How sad!

Topic: help, my ipod got submerged in water and now it doesnt work

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.