Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 4G USB charging protocol

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-04-2005, 05:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

4G USB charging protocol

Hi,

I have tried searching the forums, because I thought this was probably discussed previously, but have not found an answer.

I want to know what is necessary for the Ipod to charge over a 5V usb connection. My 4G will charge when connected to my PC, even if it is ejected as a hard drive, and ready to disconnect. I also have an AC to USB adapter which I use to charge my phone and PDA. This concists of a 5V power supply with a usb socket in it, so that a USB charge cable can be plugged in. This charges the phone and PDA perfectly, but when connected to the Ipod, the charging indicator comes on, but the battery actually discharges! The Ipod also gets quite hot.

As I see it, the ipod needs something more than just a 5V supply to charge correctly, and I wonder if the other pins of the USB connector fulfil a role in telling the ipod to charge.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Does anyone know waht the reason for this problem?

Thanks,

Ro

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:08 PM

Follow your ^PatH!

i have never had this problem,

but it sounds like you should charge ur ipod from the wall and only plug it into the pc wen updating or trasfrering.

Just to be safe overheating it isnt doing any good
Old 05-04-2005, 06:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by IPatH

but it sounds like you should charge ur ipod from the wall and only plug it into the pc wen updating or trasfrering.
I think you misunderstood me. I do not have the problem when the Ipod is plugged into the PC, only when plugged into the AC to USB adapter.

It works fine when plugged into the PC.

Ro
Old 05-05-2005, 08:07 AM

Follow your ^PatH!

oh sorry.

does sound strange.

If u know someone who has an ipod try theirs. sounds like there is maybe too much power getting to it
Old 05-05-2005, 09:17 AM

Bob

It certainly sounds like using this AC-USB charger is causing the iPod to 'mount' into hard drive mode. This will make it heat up as the HD is spinning constantly and will of course discharge the battery if it is not getting power.
I take it the charger you are using is not an Apple one? Apple's FW charger is rated at DC output: 12V at 1 amp maximum so if your AC-USB charger is only giving 5v then I would say it is not suitable for your iPod.

Bob

Old 05-13-2005, 01:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ro,

I have the same problem using the ac-usb adapter for my pda. My 4G ipod says it is charging but when I unplug it, it has lost power. The hard drive does not sound like it is spinning so I'm not sure about MadPict's reply. There must be some signaling going on on pins 2 and 3, but what is it? Anyone know out there?

kem

Topic: 4G USB charging protocol

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.