20 gig ipod sold for psp - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 20 gig ipod sold for psp

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-02-2005, 09:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

20 gig ipod sold for psp

yes you heard it, i sold my ipod for a psp, and i dont regret it one bit, not that the ipod is not cool, but common, music, videos, games, internet....yea yea yea i doesnt have a hd but who cares when the ipod tops the psp il think abuot buying a new one....
Old 05-02-2005, 09:16 PM

Loungiest of Loungers

If you don't care then why are you telling us if you feel you regret it?

My 3rd G. iPod is lost forever
Now 5th G. Video iPod
Old 05-02-2005, 09:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

hey, if you can't read straight then let me know, i'll send you some audio, i said nothing about regreting it...the psp is so much better than the ipod, and i dont think apple will consider making an ipod like the psp b/c of copyright issues and such, i was just letting people know that it is definately worth your money to buy one, and as i said "i dont REGRET it one bit..."
Old 05-02-2005, 09:53 PM

Junior Lounger

I don't know why everyone is trading in there ipod for a psp. Thinking it will take it's place. I have a psp also, but you can only have a few songs on there.Besides if you want to make it like an ipod, you would have to stock up on memory. example: 512 shuffle, you would have to buy the 512 memory, and could not use it for anything but for music. Now if you are a gamer great, but psp=ipod. Sony was smart in their Ads,saying that it would go up against the ipod....it has not come close, unless someone wants to spend $80 on 512 cards.

Hey my opinion

3G
iSkin
Shure E3c
Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

heres the way to do it....or what i did...ok so you got a ipod 20 gig and a shuffle, i never used my 20 gig b/c the shuffle is so versitle, so i sold my 20 gig for 200 bucks, not to shabby for a 8 month old ipod, then i kept my shuffle and bought my psp, so i got music on my shuffle and on my games and movies on my psp, there is no better combo for the price.

no, im not trying to diss ipod, because i love it, but all i gotta say is apple better step it up because in todays electronic world name isn't everything. there are begining to be way to many good electronics for apple just to keep producing an ipod with only music....

i would like to start a psp website sorta like this one if anyone else would like to help out please email me or pm, me thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 10:43 PM

Power Lounger

What's your point? You sold your iPod for another product, who cares?

Just to clarify, the iPod is not trying to compete with the PSP. They are both completely different devices.

Click the image to open in full size.

160GB iPod classic + Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pros
Old 05-02-2005, 10:46 PM

Loungiest of Loungers

Quote:
Originally posted by Blankwire
What's your point? You sold your iPod for another product, who cares?

Just to clarify, the iPod is not trying to compete with the PSP. They are both completely different devices.

My 3rd G. iPod is lost forever
Now 5th G. Video iPod
Old 05-02-2005, 11:02 PM

Senior Lounger

Remind me why we care or Apple cares that you chose the PSP over your iPod? The PSP is a great gaming device, but to get it for anything else is pretty silly unless you want to spend a lot more money than you need to.

check out my band at: http://www.rc86.com
IM me at: EpiPunk86
Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 AM

Senior Lounger

When I initially told my step-brother that I was thinking about getting an iPod, his first comment was "Why don't you buy a PSP instead?" Considering the #1 reason I was getting an iPod was to have my entire collection with me, a HDD Player was the way to go.

Like I always say, all-in-one is nice but a device is always better at what it's made for.

So if we take the 5 leading modern gadgets which are:

-Cell Phone
-Digital Camera
-MP3 Player
-PDA
-Portable Gaming Console.

Cell Phone:

-Make Phone Calls: Excellent - That's what it's made for.
-Take/view Pictures: Average - Some newer cell phones have cameras in them, while not as good as a proper camera, can be useful for quick everyday shots when you don't always carry your digital camera.
-Play Music: Poor to Average - Cellphones usually have very limited memory, so except for a short Work-out mix which could potentially replace an iPod Shuffle, it's not really much of an MP3 Player.
-Organizer: Poor to Good - Most cell phones have limited calendar/agenda functionality, being a telephone makes it a somewhat useful contact management. Except for Palm Treos or Blackberry those can't really replace a PDA.
-Play Games: Average - Most cellphones come with games, but usually they are simple card games. Which can be fun when waiting for a movie to start. N-Gage phones are rather good in this department since they are mostly designed as a gaming device.

Digital Camera

-Make Phone Calls: None - As far as I know, there are no digital cameras that can be used as phones.
-Take/View Pictures: Excellent - That is what they are made for.
-Play Music: None to Poor - Most cameras cannot play music, there are a few models that have that capability but it's very limited.
-Organizer: None - As far as I know, there are no digital cameras with PDA functions in them.
-Play Games - None - As far as I know, there are no digital cameras with games in them.

MP3 Player

-Make Phone Calls: None - As far as I know, there are no MP3 Platers that can be used as phones.
-Take/View Pictures: None/Average - As far as I know, there are no MP3 Platers that can take pictures. Some MP3 Players such as the iPod Photo can view pictures but that feature is rather basic (Small screen, unsable to zoom and scroll on a scaled photo)
-Play Music: Excellent - That is what MP3 Players are made for.
-Organizer: Up to Average - iPods can view Calendar, Contacts, Notes in a read only fashion which according to the owner of the store I bought my iPod from, came in handy when his PDA's battery was dead to look up someone's number. Otherwise, iPods do not replace PDAs.
-Play Games: None to Poor - The games on the iPod while handy are no match for even what's available on most modern phones. Except for Music Quiz which is related to the iPod's main function.

PDA

-Make Phone Calls: None to average - Except for Blackberry, Palm Treo, PDAs normally can't be used as phones.
-Take/View Pictures: Average/Good - Some PDAs have a built-in camera which is comparable to that of a camera phone's. Since most PDAs have rather large screen for a portable device and with the right software, allow to zoom and scroll, can be nice portable picture viewing tools.
-Play Music: Average to Good - There are music programs available for PDAs which can be rather decent, some have features that most dedicated MP3 Players don't have (Ex: Crossfading, OGG Playback), probably the next best thing to a dedicated MP3 Player.
-Organizer: Excellent - That is what PDAs are meant for.
-Play Games: Good - There are quite a lot of pretty decent games for PDAs. While not as good as that of a portable game console, beats most phone games.

Portable Game Consoles

-Make Phone Calls: None to Average - Nokia's N-Gage can be used as a phone, while a little big for a phone.
-Take/View Pictures: None/Average - GBA, NDS nor PSP don't have cameras in them. They can view pictures. Probably not as practival as a PDA, can do the job...
-Play Music: Average - Since games have music to begin with, it can be useful for that too but usually the interface is not as convenient as that of a dedicated MP3 Player.
-Organizer: Poor to Average - The Nintendo DS's touch screen could make for a rather useful PDA while not as good as a Palm or Pocket PC.
-Play Games: Excelent - That is what they are meant for.

So I'd rather carry a Cell Phone to make phone calls, a digital camera when I want to go take pictures or use the one in a phone for when I am not specifically on a photo trip (Take a pic of a girl's long hair on the street) but wouldn't pay extra to have that on a phone, my iPod to listen to music, my Palm to keep track of my schedule, and since I'm not that much of a gamer on the go, Bejeweled and Solitare on my Palm are good enough for me while waiting for movies to begin at the theater.

Portable Music History:
Mar'98 - Oct'03: Panasonic Shockwave CD Player
Oct'03 - Apr'05: Frontier Labs NexIA
Apr'05 - Feb'07: iPod Photo 30GB.
Feb'07 - Present: iPod 5.5G 80GB.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:19 AM

.500 Rap Batting Average

I agree.

PSP > iPod
Old 05-03-2005, 05:32 AM

Wicked Awesome

The PSP is a great little device, I require a Lumines fix every day. However...

Congratulations, you've just been taken to the cleaners. Unless you're the most casual music listener of all time, the PSP absolutely stinks as an mp3 player until someone updates the firmware to be USEFUL with playlists etc... and that's IF you actually get a memory card of decent size. As a dedicated mp3 player, the PSP falls way short in terms of audio quality, and its limitation of file types quite frankly blows.

I'll take my iPod and Apple lossless quality when I need music. I'll play PSP when I need a quick game fix.

Current iPod: Black 30 gig iPod Video

Headphone Rig: Headsave PPA amp, EMU 0404 soundcard, Beyerdynamic DT770-80, Grado GS1000, Grado SR60
Old 05-03-2005, 05:56 PM

Junior Lounger

This all depends on the person. I am both a gamer and a music over and I could never sell my ipod for a psp...and that's why I got both.

To me, moving from 20gigs to 1gig max of storage (after mem stick purchase) is a poor choice, for me anyway. Others will definately feel differently. Futher down the road we'll be able to have a portable system with 20gigs of storage and gaming ability, plus movies. Right now however, I'll keep my media seperate.

QOTD:[Can I cut the hair off your donkey?]
Old 05-03-2005, 06:28 PM

Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by WakePoder
i would like to start a psp website sorta like this one if anyone else would like to help out please email me or pm, me thanks
Too late.....

PSPLounge....

Bob
Old 05-03-2005, 07:19 PM

Almost Jesus

I'd take my ipod over a psp for music, Im not saying that I wouldn't like one but, It would be nice to have a portable console, but not for music

And one thing, you are saying apple needs to step up? How, they aren't and probably never will have a portable gaming console, and the ipod is intended for MUSIC not games, it is perfectly fine in its place.

I guess you could kind of say apple does have a portable gaming console, a 12" iBook or Powerbook has a little bit of graphics capability, they can play games and go on the internet and have a HARD DRIVE! Not much of a comparison, but ipod vs psp isn't either
Old 05-03-2005, 07:49 PM

Senior Lounger

Another thing to note, psp games costs lots of $$$. If you guys are thinking of getting a psp, wait until the price drops to around 200, because i would not think that the average consumer could afford 3-4 games+psp at the inflated 250 price it is at now.

Topic: 20 gig ipod sold for psp

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.