Student Discount in John Lewis - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Student Discount in John Lewis

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-20-2003, 06:18 AM

Junior Lounger

Student Discount in John Lewis

Does anyone know if John Lewis (UK) offer a student discount? and/or an extended warrenty?
Old 05-20-2003, 07:04 AM

Junior Lounger

no they don't offer a student discount, nor are they willing to pricematch a store offering a student discount. If you have a barclaycard though you can pricematch.

They don't seem to give an extended warranty - I was given one year on my receipt
Old 05-20-2003, 08:45 AM

Junior Lounger

whats barclaycard pricematch??
Old 05-20-2003, 08:50 AM

Junior Lounger

Its one of the benefits of having a barclaycard - buy any item over ?50 on the card and if you see it cheaper within 28 days (I think) then they'll refund the difference up to a limit of ?500 per transaction and ?1000 per year.

see the member benefits section on the b arclaycard website for details
Old 05-20-2003, 12:27 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by casdavies
Its one of the benefits of having a barclaycard - buy any item over ?50 on the card and if you see it cheaper within 28 days (I think) then they'll refund the difference up to a limit of ?500 per transaction and ?1000 per year.

see the member benefits section on the b arclaycard website for details
Thanks for posting this. I bought a digital camera from Jessops for ?299 on an impulse then found it online for ?259. I didn't know Barclaycard offered this price match service. Fortunately they do and thanks to you for posting about it I'm going to get the ?40 back. It also reminded me to register the camera for an extra 1 year on the warranty as well.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:47 PM

Junior Lounger

no worries
Old 05-20-2003, 03:44 PM

Junior Lounger

does this apply to comparing prices in shops with prices online?
Old 05-20-2003, 04:17 PM

Senior Lounger

Yes it does, I compared the price in Jessops with the price from Dabs.com. I have to provide hard copy proof of the Dabs price and post it off but it is worth it for ?40.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:17 PM

Power Lounger

Interesting how things work over there. Here in the US at most reputable electronic stores, they will automatically give you 110% of the price difference if there is a lower price within 30 days. All you need is the recipt, you don't need a card or anything like that.

~Nick - 24" C2D iMac
Old 05-21-2003, 09:24 AM

Senior Lounger

yeah - we dont do so well on price matching or warrenties over here.

I'm jealous of your warrenties for $40 which cover the ipods for 4 years. We've got an option for something called mastercare in some of our shops which usually costs over ?150 and its widely known that they NEVER pay up!

I got my pod from John Lewis - no mention of extended warrenties there either unfortunately. Thinking of taking it back as the hold button requires a bit of force to get it to reigister that ive unlocked it (moves fine, but doesnt pick up on it until you have another go!)
Old 05-21-2003, 10:24 AM

Power Lounger

Wow, thats crazy. If they all implemented a price match system (and warranty system) like over here I'm sure you guys would be a lot happier!

~Nick - 24" C2D iMac
Old 05-21-2003, 10:28 AM

Junior Lounger

Yeah, it sucks.

"Ooh, let's all be tight-fisted and find loopholes to get us out off paying money for something that was insured"

What a great country we live in, eh?

Pentium 4 2.8GHz W/HT | 768Mb DDR RAM 400MHz | 120Gb SATA HD | CD-RW | DVD-R/+RW | 128Mb ATi Radeon 9800 Pro | Creative Audigy 2 | 15Gb iPod | iBook 1GHz G4 |
Old 05-21-2003, 10:34 AM

Bob

Go to John Lewis.com then click on Extended Warranty available - they do one for the ipod!

Our Service Plan can be used to extend your warranty on the following products: computers (desktops, laptops and handhelds), colour monitors, printers (inkjet and laser), scanners, fax machines, fax/printer/scanner combinations, audio CD or mini-disc players, MP3 players, colour televisions, digital video players, video camcorders, LCD digital still cameras, games consoles and telephones.

Bob

Last edited by Bob; 05-21-2003 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:17 AM

Junior Lounger

i spotted that but it doesnt say anything about how much and for how long
Old 05-21-2003, 06:32 PM

Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke284
i spotted that but it doesnt say anything about how much and for how long
Fourth bullet point down -
You can take out extended cover for one or two years after the expiry of the original product guarantee

Cost is something you'll have to ask at a JL about.

Bob

Topic: Student Discount in John Lewis

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.