Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do I make importing CD's to iTunes faster?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-13-2005, 05:38 PM

iPod Video Owner

How do I make importing CD's to iTunes faster?

Ok, so I got a whole bunch of Cd's that I want to import to my iTunes library. Why does it take 2hrs+ to transfer 14 songs? I just dont understand why it takes so long. Does it take long for you? How do I make it faster at importing?!?!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:44 PM

Punk's Not Dead...

2+ hours?!?

I'm not sure what your system specs are, but that seems insanely slow! (I don't mean that as a putdown or whatever, I just mean it sounds like something is wrong here.) Granted, I have found iTunes to be slower than other ripping software, but nowhere near that bad! I have found that on occasion I have to click the "Get CD Track Names" option under the advanced menu to give iTunes a swift kick in the shorts, but other than that it's not too bad.

4th gen 60gig photo | PodPaq denim | 512 shuffle | Win XP
"Homage? You're drunk. It's disgusting. Out. The lot, out. Bursting in here with tales about oriental fortune tellers. Come on, out."
Old 04-13-2005, 05:53 PM

iPod Video Owner

Hmm, cause yeah it takes forever. I am using it on a USB 2.0 HUB by cicero which is connected to the computer by a USB cord, but yes as I said it is extremely slow and Im not sure what to do. Can anyone else try and give me assistance? Thanks again!

iPod Video 60GB WHITE
iPod Camera Connector

3698 Songs / 10 Days / 19.39 GB
Old 04-13-2005, 06:03 PM

What are the specs on your computer? What OS? What processor speed? What are the specs on your CD drive?

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to import a CD.

Something is going seriously wrong for you. Even if the songs weren't digitally extracted, a 1-1 ratio should be the slowest import speed because it would just record in real time. So, the longest amount of time any CD would take in real time would be 70 minutes. Two+ hours is slower than real time.

Post all your specs and maybe we can help you figure it out.

Also, how many CDs have you tried? If you've only tried 1 so far, perhaps there is something wrong with that CD. Is it terribly scratched or anything. If so, maybe it's having trouble reading the CD.

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 04-13-2005, 06:58 PM

iPod Video Owner

I am currently running on Windows XP Home Edition. It is a custom computer (no name). I have the following specs:

-1.99GHz
-480MB of RAM (it says this)
-Intel Celeron
-CPU 2.00GHz

Im not sure this is all what it says. It's not a MAC OS X as you can see.

I have tried many CD's. This must have been my 5th or 6th CD so far.

iPod Video 60GB WHITE
iPod Camera Connector

Old 04-13-2005, 07:01 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm kind of at a loss here. Those specs should be more than sufficient. What type of CD drive are you using. You said USB, so it's clearly an external drive, but what is the read speed?

I can't imagine why it would be taking 2+ hours per CD.

I hope someone else can help you out, because this makes no sense to me.

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 04-13-2005, 07:43 PM

iPod Video Owner

Im not a computer guy sorry but I have an LG 52X MAX CD Drive but I think it is enternal. I meant to say my USB cord from iPod to Computer is connected to a USB 2.0 Hub sorry. But the CD Drive looks to be in the computer like normal computers, not sure if thats ex or internal.

iPod Video 60GB WHITE
iPod Camera Connector

Old 04-13-2005, 08:53 PM

Junior Lounger

Well, it seems there is a bit of confusion. I am assuming you are only talking about ripping songs from your cd to itunes and leaving the ipod out of the equation for now.

I have a 48x CD drive and it does take about a minute and a half to rip each track from the CD to AAC (160kbs) from within iTunes.

Even if you have it set to a completely lossless format you shouldn't take much longer than that I would think, especially not hours.

Once you get the song ripped to your itunes library, how long does it take to transfer the songs to your ipod?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BiReL41r
Im not a computer guy sorry but I have an LG 52X MAX CD Drive but I think it is enternal. I meant to say my USB cord from iPod to Computer is connected to a USB 2.0 Hub sorry. But the CD Drive looks to be in the computer like normal computers, not sure if thats ex or internal.
Yeah, that's an internal drive, and at 52X speed you should definitely not be experiencing 2+ hour rip times.

At this point, it doesn't appear to be a system issue, and it's not an iTunes issue.

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 04-13-2005, 09:02 PM

Junior Lounger

wow man you are paient..... 2+ hours for one cd and it was your 5 or 6th so far............ are your cds scratched???.................. when its importing the audio into itunes what speed does it say up where it shows which song is playing??? somtimes when i use a scratched cd it imports at about .3x and when its not scratched then 11x.... maybe thats the prob?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:13 PM

iPod Video Owner

Cherno, it takes really quick to import a song and about 1-2mins to import 20-30 songs I guess. I havent really timed it but it is reasonably fast or maybe normal with importing the songs in the library to the my iPod.

Gurdeep, I looked and when the thing said ''Time Remaining: 0:01" it said (3.2x). When it says Importing "(song here)" it takes a long time but then when it goes to saying "Time Remaining" its like 60sec or so and then the song is imported.

iPod Video 60GB WHITE
iPod Camera Connector

Old 04-13-2005, 09:42 PM

Junior Lounger

1. When you are ripping the CD using iTunes, are you sure it isn't being played in other application such as Windows Media Player? If it is then it will take a LONG time to rip as two apps are trying to access the same CD; I know from experience If you're speakers are off or low, you pay not know it's actaully being played elsewhere.

2. Have you tried ripping it using something else? I actually find WMP a lot faster than iTunes. If you haven't tried, give it a go. At least you'll know if it's the program or your computer.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:09 PM

iPod Video Owner

Ok, thanks jmoo2. It wasnt playing on other programs but I will try ripping it through WMP and hopefully it wont take 2hrs+. Thanks again!

iPod Video 60GB WHITE
iPod Camera Connector

Old 04-13-2005, 10:50 PM

Pro Lounger

if you import in wmp make sure it isnt set to import to wma, wma's won't work on the ipod, rip to mp3.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:54 PM

iPod Video Owner

Ok, thanks.

iPod Video 60GB WHITE
iPod Camera Connector

Topic: How do I make importing CD's to iTunes faster?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.