Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod keeps restarting - HELP please

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-07-2005, 09:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

Exclamation iPod keeps restarting - HELP please

I was having trouble with my Itrip, and there are many suggestions out there that say to restart your ipod. I did this by pressing the play/pause button at the same time as I pressed the menu button. The ipod restarted, and then restarted, and restarted ... right now if just keeps restarting over and over again.

I tried turning it off by pressing play/pause, but that did nothing. It is starting to get really warm from all the restarting.

I'm scared I broke it .... please help me!!!!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mellifluous; 04-07-2005 at 09:30 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:35 AM

Freshman Lounger

can you plug the ipod into your computer or does it just keep trying to restart even when you do that? My first iPod had this happen about a week after I got it, it would just keep resetting without any success of actually restarting back to a functional mode. I brought it to the apple store and it was DOA, so I got a new one. You may want to bring yours to a local apple store. hope this helps
Old 04-26-2005, 04:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

this is bad.

i have the same problem.

last night, my ipod (2nd gen 20gb) was working fine. it was connected to my imac (g4 15"), flashing "do not disconnect". when i was going to bed, i shut down the imac from the apple menu without manually unmounting (dismounting?) the drive. (i thought this was supposed to be ok! -does anyone know?)

the imac shut down but the the ipod restarted, clicked and restarted, stopped clicked and restarted. as far as i can tell the harddrive spins and clicks like normal i get the black apple logo and then it restarts. it repeated this until i tore it open and ripped out the battery.

before going to those extreme measures, i had tried rebooting the imac and connecting the ipod. i had tried holding the play and menu buttons for a long while, the ipod just kept on restarting, half-booting and restarting (it actually restarts faster this way and a black hirizontal line flashes just before it restarts?) i also tried holding the select button and the menu button for a few cycles (no change). i did make sure the hold button wasn´t engaged. (in fact i tried a couple of times with the hold button engaged just for the hell of it.)

any help would be much appreciated. i have had this ($500) ipod for 2 years and 5 months and not quite ready to give it up just yet!

there is no way to run the software update/restore since the computer never gets to recognize the ipod -it restarts too soon!

see also a thread at a different forum ipodhacks dot com. maybe someone who knows something will post here or there.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

ok update...

i tried disconnecting the harddrive (while the ipod was disconnected from both the computer and the battery) and then reconnect the ipod to the power. it booted up to an exclamation point and folder icon. then i reconnected the hard drive. that gave me an animated icon of a magnifying glass looking at a spinning disk. a status bar below slowly crept up .. this took forever but eventually it resulted in an icon with the disk and a solid checkmark over it.
cycling power i could actually get the ipod to be recognized by the computer! in fact about this mac -> more info -> firewire showed the ipod there. but .. it said it's capacity was 2TB... instead of 20GB. oh well.
i started up ipod software update and it wasn't greyed out. excited, i started a restore on the ipod... and... it went like 20% of the way and froze there. the program hung. i force quitted it and started again. and the status bar zoomed right up to the same place and hung there.

so.

any hardware engineers here? i guess i have a faulty block or something on that sector of the harddrive? feel free to share your suggestions!
Old 01-15-2007, 01:33 PM

Junior Lounger

As for the restarting issue, I found a solution myself.

Hold the Center button and Play button together. This forces the iPod into Disk Mode, and it will stop restarting long enough to get it to mount in the computer. Then try restoring it.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

guys i went to disk mode, itunes didnt recognize it ... did anyone find any solution for this ? please help guys
Old 10-26-2008, 11:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up fixing you ipod when it keeps on restarting

Once bootup your iPod on Disk Mode, you should be able to Open Disk Utility and then run "Repair Disk", once it is repaired you can start using it, otherwise if it can not be fixed then the only solution is to reformat the ipod using Disk Utility, then it will be recognized by your itunes, which then you'll use to reinstall/restore ipod software.

Topic: iPod keeps restarting - HELP please

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.