Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes and Computer not recognizing iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes and Computer not recognizing iPod

As it says in the subject my computer and iTunes doesn't recognize my ipod.I've tried many things.I went to system managment to see if it was there but it wasn't.I Reset the ipod.I cant update the ipod cuz it's not showing up on the computer.I downloaded the latest iTunes but nothing works!Please someone help soon.

Ps: It only shows up as charging.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-27-2005, 05:30 PM

iMade iPod

try completely erasing itunes and reinstalling it.

Powerbook g4 , 1.5 ghz
X2 ipod shuffle 512 mb
Old 03-27-2005, 05:32 PM

Look through this message thread for a possible solution:
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthr...threadid=44944

3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 03-27-2005, 05:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Wont that erase my music?and how will that help if the computer doesnt recognize it?
Old 03-27-2005, 05:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

I read that topic.They never have a straight awnser so could someone just tell me what I should do.And I use FireWire.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

im having the exact same problem could someone please help us?

im just happy to be here . What a wonderful little machine thanx apple.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

If I hard reset my iPod, will all the stuff from iTunes download back onto it?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

stopped by the apple store today during lunch and asked somene there the said goto apple.com and select the ipod icon and download there was indeed an update for the ipod not itunes . Unfortunetley it didnt solve the problem . Im hoping that maybee its the cable itself ???? And not an internal problem w/ itunes > BTW When i was in the apple store i plugged my pod into one of there machines and my pod was read by there computer . So ive narrowed it down to either the usb cable or itunes itself. Tonite im gonna call my buddy and borrow his cable .

im just happy to be here . What a wonderful little machine thanx apple.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have a similar problem.... I updated my old iPod (one of the first models) with the latest update. The iPod works fine and I can use all the new features BUT : My computer does not recognize the iPod anymore ! Who had a similar problem after the latest update ? I use firewire, I reseted the pod and other iPods are recognized by my computer.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:25 AM

Freshman Lounger

I talked to apple, as I am having the same problem trying to use firewire, and they think it might be a port problem, told me to check the ports.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:14 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have just finished reading the 19 pages of informantion relating to iPod's not connecting to PC's. Why is Apple not doing anything about this??? I have a 3rd Gen which I love ( or loved) until one day I had too much music in Itunes that it created a Automatic shuffle playlistor something. Not what I wanted so I deleted some music from Itunes and deleted this playlistfrom Itunes and then did a restore on the iPod. Pluggged it into the same firewire card that it'd been using with no problems for over a year and it loaded up 400 songs and then stopped with an error. Since then nada, zip, niente! I managed to get 1800 songs on using a friends Laptop but it would appear that my iPod and Toshiba Laptop have fallen out and refuse to make up. So it seems I am not alone. On a USB 1.1 port on the card it appears as Drive F in My Computer but when I try to reinstall the software and get it configured the software doesn't pick it up. Just keeps telling me to connect the iPod to the Laptop. All apple's sites and what I've read here tell me to try to reset, then restore, then uninstall Itunes and iPod software and reinstall and if none of those work then what!!!!? I'm now thinking to take EVERYTHING off the Laptop and reload and then try but if it's not going to work is there any point?
Can someone please help? I just want to restore my iPod, get it recognised by my computer and put some music on it. And then if I have any time left maybe, just maybe I could listen to some of it!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

you will not lose you music if you reinstall the itunes software. I just did it and it worked. Now my iphone is visible. :-)
Old 11-28-2007, 11:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Neither my iPhone or iPod could be recognized by iTunes 7.5. I had to uninstall and reinstall the software on my Mac Mini (OS 10.4.11). Once I did this, it fixed the problem. I did not lose my music or playlists.

Just thought I'd post my experience with a similar problem.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:25 AM

Freshman Lounger

I worked out how to solve this! Hard reset your ipod, it doesnt delete any songs and makes the whole 'USB' issue work again. On my Ipod Nano 2nd gen, to hard reset my ipod, hold down the center button and menu button for 10 seconds. An apple logo will appear before reloading you ipod. All the songs are still there and your problem should be fixed! Hope this helps!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy

am not even able to reset my ipod!! devasted

Topic: iTunes and Computer not recognizing iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.