Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Time-out period expired

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-25-2005, 05:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

Time-out period expired

My new iPod is recognised by my equally new computer (Windows XP). I have managed to download music to iTunes. When trying to download the music from iTunes to the iPod, it gets stuck on the first track and the following error message comes up:

iTunes.exe.Device Timeout
The specified I/O operation on\Device\Harddisk1\DR9 was not completed before the time-out period expired.

What does that mean and how to we get around this problem?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:55 AM

Freshman Lounger

Windows - Device Timout
-------------------------------
I am getting a similar problem.

iPod: photo 60gig
firmware: 1.0 (went back to 1.0 from 1.1 cause was having problems)
O/S: Windows XP SP2

I plug my iPod in and the system becomes very unresponsive. Then eventually get the error "The specified I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk1\DR5 was not completed before the time-out period expired" w/ Continue, Try Again and Cancel as the options.

I also can't access my music from iTunes.

Have any other people had similar problems? What setup / hardware are you using? Does anybody know the solution??

I got a similar error with firmware 1.1 installed. The problem wouldn't go away when I "Restored" v1.1 but did (for a while) when I "Restored" v1.0. It is back again after 1 successful sync.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

An update to my situation.

I called up Apple support and I updated by firmware to v1.1 and instead of using the front USB ports on my desktop, now using the rear ports on the motherboard.

So far this has fixed my problem. My iPod is visible and shows up in iTunes.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

Smile Device Timeout

Thanks for your advice. We did not have to update firmware - simply plugging into the rear USB port worked like magic!
Happy iPod-ing!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:01 PM

Junior Lounger

SAME HERE

I HAD the same problem, did a google serach with the error message, and THANK GOD I foudn this,, and it works

I cant spell since im ssoo happy!!!

iPod Photo 30 gig.

Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD A64 3200
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro @ XT +
1 gig DDR 400
Old 04-16-2005, 06:16 AM

Freshman Lounger

Glad you solved your problem. Aren't iPodlounge Forums wonderful?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have the same problem but I am already plugged into the USB at the rear of the CPU.

http://burymeinthisdress.com
Old 05-27-2005, 05:29 AM

Freshman Lounger

Just a quick note that I was finally able to make my ipod work with my PC (XP SP2). I don't really know what I did which made it work but one of the tips I got was from article "93716" on Apple's support page.

http://burymeinthisdress.com
Old 05-28-2005, 03:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

i tried article 93716 on the Apple Support page and I do not have a port at the rear. I reinstalled xp completely and itunes transferred music once and the second time it said that the folder could not be found. i just had my ipod replaced with a new one and itunes noted that this one was linked to another itunes and i found someone else's playlists under "shared music". help, anybody?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

i found this thread on google after i had the same problem.

My ipod 30g photo works fine on my laptop but not on my desktop. I even tried reinstalling windows. Still the same problem.

The problem i think was that i have 5 other things plugged into my usb ports. They are conflicting with the ipod.

Luckily however i own a firewire pci adapter i bought for my video camera. I went out and bought a firewire cable for my INSTEN dock and walla. Everything works perfectly just like it does on my laptop.

So if your having the same problem and tried all of the above. Buy yourself a firewire cable and dock that has firewire output on it.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Help

i have a similiar problem, but it has nothing to do with pluggin in my IPod. This happens when i am using itunes. after a couple of minutes my music stops and "itunes.exe - device time out" window pops up with a note "the specified I/O operation on/device/harddisk 1/dr1 was not completed before the time-out period expired" how do i fix this problem. This also happens when i am using azureas. someone please help!

Topic: Time-out period expired

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.