Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: computer speakers played through headphone jack?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-05-2005, 06:42 PM

Veteran Lounger

If you are worried why not get a dock. Its a cheap solution for a great line out feature and you can charge the ipod at the same time.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:55 PM

Never bloody happy!

no it will not hurt your ipod. most pc speakers have their own power suply, they wouldnt be much of a speaker if they were relying on the power that comes out the stero jack on the sound card of a pc, so they wont drain your battery any more than headphones. pc speakers are built for such things, as are many stereos, that have a stereo to phono cable so you can plug your ipod/cd player/ minidisc player or whatever into it and listen to it. this is a crazy thread. its absolutely obvious that pc speakers will play sound from an audio player and not harm it.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

It all depends, I really reccomed just getting regular computer speakers. They plug into the wall and into your ipod no harm done. Now if the power is being used from the ipod to the speakers that might mess it up!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:21 AM

Freshman Lounger

I just got a new Dell PC and the self powered speakers that came with it were just ok - I am using my surround sound speakers from my old PC - however, when I plugged the new Dell speakers into the power and into the iPod headphone jack - bingo ! Instant mini stereo for my son's bedroom!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can anyone recommend a decent speaker that you can use with both your pc and ipod? I currently have speakers on my computer that require power from my monitor. They don't work with my ipod. I have another set of computer speakers that require no power but the volumn is not very loud when I hook them up to the ipod. I'm looking for something that would run off battery (so I can hook up to my ipod when outside without needing a power adapter) but also have a power adapter so when hooked up to my pc they don't drain the battery. I just got back from Besy Buy and the speakers they had for the ipod (designed for the ipod where the unit sits in the dock) did not have an adapter to allow them to be connected to the computer (at least that's what the sales rep said).

Thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 10:58 PM

Reclined Lounger

Steve- ANY speaker system that uses a 1/8" (2.5m?) stereo plug will work with the iPod. That includes almost ALL computer speakers.

Now- it IS getting harder to find good speakers that run on AC OR DC. It just adds to the cost and few computer folk want to run theirs off batteries.

NO 'unpowered' speaker system will produce loud sounds from the iPod. You need to add some form of power to get any amplification.

My suggestion? Get a decent pair of computer speakers powered by AC. Split the plug so you can leave it plugged into the computer and also plug in the iPod (you'll hear both the computer and the iPod over the speakers) and get a decent set of travel speakers for mobility.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:03 PM

Reclined Lounger

Hurting the iPod with speakers:

1. Unpowered speakers will not 'hurt' no matter how big, but may drain the batteries quickly.

2. Decent commercially made speakers (powered or not) using the 1/8" (2.5m?) stereo plugs almost certainly won't hurt either. You don't put that kind of plug on a system if there is ANY chance it will hurt the player.

3. Modifying or making your own POWERED speakers- be careful! If ANY of the power (voltage or amperage) goes into the plug, it can fry your iPod (or any other player) quickly! A decent design will carefully isolate the amp circuit from the actual input and will include some sort of safety protection as well.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:50 AM

*Not really a DJ

The only harm done would be the quality suffers a bit when using the headphone jack to drive speakers as it is preamped already. Line out would give you the best quality, AFAIK.

Phil
iPod 5th Gen -> Ety ER-6i's. Musical Bliss.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:37 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by thiswho
as long as the speakers are self powered, it is fine. If not, it can cause a huuuuge drain on the battery
How is that different than headphones though? My speaker set is VERY small (almost 15 years old) and never made a noticeable difference in battery life.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:58 PM

Reclined Lounger

All things being equal, the way a player makes things louder, whether through earbuds, headphones, or unpowered speakers, is by pumping its own power into the output.

Another rule of thumb says that bigger speakers need more power to make the same amount of noise a smaller speaker would, and the closer the speaker is to the ear, the louder it will sound.

When we speak of bigger 'desktop' speakers burning juice faster than earbuds, it is true- the bigger speakers need a LOT more power than the earbuds do. This does not mean it will flatline your batteries in a few minutes, however. If your battery lasts 8 hours with earbuds, it may only last 6 with speaker X, or 7 with speaker Y.

In real life, however, there are hundreds of other issues involved- quality of the speaker, speaker cone material, wire guage, circuit design, magnet type, etc., etc., etc.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Here's a question about sound quality:

I've been using a 1/8 inch headset jack to RCA cord to plug my ipod into my home stereo receiver.

I use the same cord to plug my ipod into my car's cd player (happens to have accessible RCA input...)

I notice, however, that the sound quality from a normal CD is far superior to the iPod through the 1/8 RCA adapter. I know there is an output channel in the base of the iPod and I suspect that it delivers better sound quality, however NO ONE has marketed a base cord that splits to RCA output.

My only option would be to buy a cumbersome dock and lug it into and out of my house everytime i want to take my iPod in my car.

Does anyone know of any cords/adapters/or even a hardware hack to take advantage of the base output channels from the iPod? Thanks
Old 05-10-2005, 12:00 AM

Freshman Lounger

in my room, all i have now are a pair of old computer speakers.
they havent done anyharm, i dont think it can, its just like pluging headphones into it.
as far as making sure the output is the output!
i plugged in my first 4G into the input of out family/home amp and screwed it all up after having it just 4 days. lucky i was able to get it replaced at to charge.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:25 AM

Freshman Lounger

pkghost --

Don't know if anyone's replied to your question yet, but Nyko sells exactly what you're looking for, just hit the market maybe a couple of months ago. Dock connector, going out to RCA; everything's white, I think about 6' of cable. Got mine off Amazon.

This cable doesn't charge the iPod, though, so keep that in mind while you're setting up your home and car connection.

You can get yourself a dock for the home, and the Nyko cable for more or less permanently connecting to your car stereo (that's neat, that your stereo's RCA connection is readily accessible, instead of being on the back panel). Or several combinations.

I use a Nyko cable at home, but I also have a standard RCA-to-1/8" jack (both Nyko and standard cable are connected to an RCA splitter, which is connected to my stereo), which I use to connect my iPod at home when I want to play while charging.

In my car, I use the Monster Cable Ultra Low Profile car charger; it connects to the dock connector to charge, but has a 1/8" jack line out.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by pkghost
Here's a question about sound quality:

I've been using a 1/8 inch headset jack to RCA cord to plug my ipod into my home stereo receiver.

I use the same cord to plug my ipod into my car's cd player (happens to have accessible RCA input...)

I notice, however, that the sound quality from a normal CD is far superior to the iPod through the 1/8 RCA adapter. I know there is an output channel in the base of the iPod and I suspect that it delivers better sound quality, however NO ONE has marketed a base cord that splits to RCA output.

My only option would be to buy a cumbersome dock and lug it into and out of my house everytime i want to take my iPod in my car.

Does anyone know of any cords/adapters/or even a hardware hack to take advantage of the base output channels from the iPod? Thanks

try radio shack. i bought a 1/8 to RCA for my computer to connect it to my stereo. i know for a fact that they sell it.
here:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=274-883

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-2542
or
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-2550
Old 05-12-2005, 07:19 PM

Listening to Music (duh)

I use a cheap speaker for my iPod ($5). Make sure that you're speaker doesn't connect to the wall (electrical) or it could damage your iPod. I play my iPod on my speaker with Apple's charger.

Topic: computer speakers played through headphone jack?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.