Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Stolen IPod - Way to get serial number?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-08-2005, 12:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

Stolen IPod - Way to get serial number?

My 4th Gen 40GB IPod was stolen out of my dorm room today. I had ordered it about a month ago and recently threw away the box. Is there a way to find the serial number within the Windows registry or somehow with ITunes?

Also, is anybody familiar with Homeowners Insurance and if it might be able to be applied to this situation, as it was stolen out of my room?

Finally, if I (inevitably) have to buy a new one......should I wait for a new model? Any ideas on when the next generation of IPods roll out and what they will be like?

Thanks, and protect your IPods! Trust no one....

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:11 AM

Veteran Lounger

To answer your questions:

- There's no way to retrieve the serial number of your iPod, unless you wrote it down somewhere. Even if you knew the serial number, unless the police recover it somehow I don't see how it's going to help you.

- Homeowners insurance doesn't apply here, since you don't own the place you were living in. Even if you had renter's insurance, most deductibles are $500+, so you'd end up paying for the iPod anyway, unless you had a rider specifically for the iPod. Also, you can't buy insurance after the fact - if you didn't already have a policy, you're out of luck.

- If the current model iPod does what you want it to, then why wait for a new model? Apple tends to be very secretive about new models, features, and release dates, so nobody knows when the next generation will be out - it could be a few months, or next year. They do that to prevent people from holding off on buying current inventory to 'wait' for the new models to come out.

Overall, I think you're out of luck with your stolen iPod. Sorry.

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 | nVidia 8800GT | Windows Vista Ultimate
iPod Classic 160GB | iPod Touch 32GB | iPod Shuffle 1GB | Electric Avenues Pocket Amp 2 V2 | Shellbrook Labs Super Mini Moy Amp | Practical Devices XM3 Amp | Shure E500PTH | Westone 3 | Shure E4c

Last edited by Interpol; 03-08-2005 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:14 AM

Junior Lounger

if you still have the box in which it came in, the serial number should be on the UPC sticker at the bottom of the box.

4G 40GB of mAdneSs....
Old 03-08-2005, 03:09 AM

iPod therefore I am

If you registered it with Apple, you could call them up and explain your situation. I'm sure if you give them all your personal information to prove you are the person that registered it, they will be more than happy to give you your serial number.

Also, was there an engraving on the back of your iPod by any chance? If so, then it'll make finding your iPod a bit easier. Put the word out around campus and post flyers about your stolen iPod and the engraving. Also let everyo ne know that there is a reward for it's safe return (just don't tell them how much of an award...). Good luck.

| Ice eXo3 | Tune Belt | Dock | Remote | iCondoms |
| Etymotic ER6i | Sony EX71 | Shure E2c (Sold) | Apple In-Ear (Sold) |

Proud Owner of a Sony PSP!
Old 03-08-2005, 03:17 AM

Re: Stolen IPod - Way to get serial number?

Quote:
Originally posted by cls77
My 4th Gen 40GB IPod was stolen out of my dorm room today. I had ordered it about a month ago and recently threw away the box. Is there a way to find the serial number within the Windows registry or somehow with ITunes?
welcome to the lounge but sorry to hear about your iPod!

on a mac, there is a preference file (.plist) associated with iTunes that does contain the serial number of any iPod that syncs to iTunes, so i would hazard a guess that iTunes on windows will also have a similar file, though where i'm not sure, and can't check since i'm not at work!!

if you haven't found it by the time i get to work then i'lll try and track it down for you.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:52 AM

nanolicious

where did you order it from? apple.com ? They would have the info.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by FallN
If you registered it with Apple, you could call them up and explain your situation. I'm sure if you give them all your personal information to prove you are the person that registered it, they will be more than happy to give you your serial number.

Also, was there an engraving on the back of your iPod by any chance? If so, then it'll make finding your iPod a bit easier. Put the word out around campus and post flyers about your stolen iPod and the engraving. Also let everyo ne know that there is a reward for it's safe return (just don't tell them how much of an award...). Good luck.
I've noticed this and was hoping someone knew the ITunes for Windows equivalent. That would certainly help me out!

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:26 PM

Junior Lounger

If you registered your iPod with Apple they would have sent you an email thanking you for registering with the serial numer in the email. Maybe its still in your inbox?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I've noticed this and was hoping someone knew the ITunes for Windows equivalent. That would certainly help me out!

Thanks.
since i've never connected my iPod to a windows machine, this is all still guesswork....

in your program files folder there are two folders, iPod and iTunes. go to iPod/bin/ipod.service.resources and open the ipodservice.dll with notepad to see if there is anything that resembles your serial number (will start with 2 letters)

or you can run "regedit" from start>run - this will bring up your regsitry settings. under my computer, expand hkey_local_machine, then expand software, then expand apple computer inc, and there will be an iPod & iTunes folder - have a look around to see if the serail number appears in any of these (i could see a homemachineid) but make sure you DO NOT make any changes, same with the opening of the .dlls from above.

hopefully amongst this lot you'll find a record of your serial number. good luck!!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:36 PM

Senior Lounger

Actually Homeowners insurance does cover everything that you own regardless of location. You will need to contact your insurance agency and they will indicate what items or proof of purchase that you need. Good luck my friend....and I hope you find your Ipod.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by kween
If you registered your iPod with Apple they would have sent you an email thanking you for registering with the serial numer in the email. Maybe its still in your inbox?
I see a homemachineid, but is that most definitely the serial number? It appears in 16 characters, all spaced by 2.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-08-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I see a homemachineid, but is that most definitely the serial number? It appears in 16 characters, all spaced by 2.

Thanks for your help!
i doubt the homemachineid is the iPod's serial number - the serial number should be two letters, three numbers, four letters, number, letter (11 characters in all).

you may need someone else that has an iPod on a windows machine to volunteer to have a look in their registry settings and verify which field it really is.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:24 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidtnt27
Actually Homeowners insurance does cover everything that you own regardless of location. You will need to contact your insurance agency and they will indicate what items or proof of purchase that you need. Good luck my friend....and I hope you find your iPod.
And don't forget the deductible on that policy, which will probably be more than what the iPod is worth.

In other words, unless you had a rider specifically for the iPod, any homeowner's/renter's insurance is useless.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:42 AM

Senior Lounger

I feel your pain man. I just had $1000 worth of stuff stolen from my dorm room this past weekend. I lost my iPod AC adapter, and the usb/firewire cable, so your not alone.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

So if your ipod is stolen and you do have the serial number, is there anything you can do to report it?

I had mine stolen from the gym last week and after asking everyone and posting signs, no one has returned it. Can I report it missing to Apple?

The worst part is, is that I've only had it for 2 months.

Topic: Stolen IPod - Way to get serial number?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.