Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why you *CANNOT* replace a mini 1G battery with a 2G one

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-04-2005, 08:50 AM

Apple Psychopath

Note to all: Why you *CANNOT* replace a mini 1G battery with a 2G one

For those wondering if you can just send your iPod mini 1G back to Apple for a replacement higher capacity battery, you cannot.

The reason?

The iPod mini 2G does not use a higher capacity battery.

The reason why the 2G gets longer battery life is because Apple replaced the PortalPlayer chipset inside the iPod mini 2G with the new one (Check iPodlounge front news) which gives triple the battery life using the same battery.

The chipset itself cannot be replaced as it is soldered onto the circuitry.

Last edited by Icecool; 03-04-2005 at 08:52 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:12 AM

Don't forget about a more efficient hard drive, the new 4GB and 6GB iPods use a new hard drive. Thanks for posting this, there are too many questions that regard this.

I wouldn't be surprised if a third party company comes out with a higher capacity battery in the future, but looking at current models my guess is that it would only add around a 30% increase.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-04-2005, 10:18 AM

iPodding in Sheffield!

Ah, good to see a proper explanation now. Any chance of this being a sticky as there seems to be about 3 threads a day asking the question?
Old 03-04-2005, 12:43 PM

Just made this thread "sticky".

3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 03-04-2005, 05:11 PM

Senior Lounger

Dang, that sux man. I was hoping it would just be a simple case of switching the battery... and voila... 20plus hrs. ah well... thanks for the info tho...

Model: 16GB iPod Touch, 5G 30GB iPod (Black), 4GB iPod Nano (Red).
Earphones: Sony MDR-EX71SL (White) Crappy cord is deteriorating on me!
Songs on iPod: 1896
Videos: Three music videos...
Old 03-07-2005, 08:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

so, this means if u send your 1G ipod mini in for a new battery, the'll replace it with 8hr battery?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:18 PM

Junior

Finally, someone has tried to put an end to this.

And finally, now all you mini owners, you know what it feels like to be *outdated*. It's alittle degrading now... isn't it? :P

3G 20 Gig iPod
iSkin Black| iTrip| iTalk|
|Shure E3C's|Apple Earbuds|Sony EX-51's
G4 17 inch iMac 80 Gig Ultra Drive| eMac 40 Gig Combo Drive
||8.9 Gigs of music 1,807 Songs||
Old 03-09-2005, 08:24 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by cpn.luckycharms

And finally, now all you mini owners, you know what it feels like to be *outdated*. It's alittle degrading now... isn't it? :P
Everything I've ever gotten has been outdated within six months... I'm used to it! :-) I clung to an old brick-sized Casseiopeia E115 until last year, not wanting to admit obsolescence.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:36 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by cpn.luckycharms

Doesn't really bother me, what does is my 7 hours of battery life, I would much prefer to be able to upgrade the Mini battery, but regardless of whether the Mini 2G does not have a better battery, I am hoping that someone will sell a replacement battery for the mini that will upgrade battery life as people have done for the Ipod 1,2,3, and 4th gen Ipods.

I do have a suspicion that Apple did improve the battery a little bit along with the power requirement improvements, something like 30%. While the new processor surely helped a lot, I don't think the change from 8hours to 26hours (as measured by IpodLounge) is only attributed to the cpu change.

I would like to see if anyone took this apart for actual confirmation.

2006 Honda Accord with Griffin RoadTrip
1996 Ford Explorer with cassette adapter
Black Nano 2G 8GB
Biostar TForce550/A64 X2 @ 2.85Ghz/2GB Ram/Geforce 7900gs
Old 03-11-2005, 08:52 PM

1/8th the size!

ok, thanks i was wondering about that...
Old 03-12-2005, 06:12 AM

iPod Classic 80GB Silver

Hmm, kinda like if the 5G iPod was to have 36 hours for battery life and the 4G iPod owners would want to put a 5G battery in their 4G iPod

Old 03-13-2005, 01:39 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by funnyperson1
Doesn't really bother me, what does is my 7 hours of battery life, I would much prefer to be able to upgrade the Mini battery, but regardless of whether the Mini 2G does not have a better battery, I am hoping that someone will sell a replacement battery for the mini that will upgrade battery life as people have done for the iPod 1,2,3, and 4th gen iPods.

I do have a suspicion that Apple did improve the battery a little bit along with the power requirement improvements, something like 30%. While the new processor surely helped a lot, I don't think the change from 8hours to 26hours (as measured by iPodLounge) is only attributed to the cpu change.

I would like to see if anyone took this apart for actual confirmation.
Oh dear, there is no battery you can fit to a 4G to increase the battery life.(there is for the 1G,2G and 3G) You should really listen. The new chip trebles the power life (an increase of 300% not 30%) and through other tweaks it gets a long life.

There is no bigger battery inside (if there is it probably adds a tiny improvement and could be incompatible with the 1G mini).

They have also made power savings elsewhere - the Hard Disk is more effecient and the software is probably written better.

5G iPod 30GB
1G iPod nano 1GB
Windows 7 + Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Last edited by Daveoc64; 03-13-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:14 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveoc64
Oh dear, there is no battery you can fit to a 4G to increase the battery life.(there is for the 1G,2G and 3G) You should really listen. The new chip trebles the power life (an increase of 300% not 30%) and through other tweaks it gets a long life.

There is no bigger battery inside (if there is it probably adds a tiny improvement and could be incompatible with the 1G mini).

They have also made power savings elsewhere - the Hard Disk is more effecient and the software is probably written better.
Battery upgrade for 4G Ipod:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/BIPOD750M4/

I was simply implying that nobody has actually taken apart a 2G Ipod Mini and verified that it is the same battery, and until then it is not a fact and should not be stated as such. I put in my opinion that perhaps a slightly better capacity battery was included as one of the many variables which contributed to this large increase in battery life. Until someone takes one apart, anything we say is speculation. The chip itself may take a third of the power, but the chip is not the only thing that drains power from the Ipod battery. Also, saying that the hard drive is more efficient and the firmware is coded better is really an assumption that was made, nobody from Apple has confirmed this.

So far the only fact is that there is a more efficient processor in the new mini, other than that all is speculation until we hear from somebody who has actually taken apart a Mini 2G. So excuse me for not taking everything I read on a message board as a god-given fact so you could ride in on your high-horse and correct me.

Black Nano 2G 8GB
Old 03-13-2005, 08:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

I thought that apple gave you a new ipod when you sent it in. If not, then why does it take longer for a personalized ipod to get returned? Maybe I read wrong, that does not sound very cost effective.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:14 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Mapleboy
I thought that apple gave you a new ipod when you sent it in. If not, then why does it take longer for a personalized ipod to get returned? Maybe I read wrong, that does not sound very cost effective.
It depends, a battery replacmenent is fairly routine. Apple replaces if there is something else like a dead hard drive or messed up screen. In that case they would still fix it and send it out to someone as a replacement refurbished.

Black Nano 2G 8GB

Topic: Why you *CANNOT* replace a mini 1G battery with a 2G one

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.