Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why you *CANNOT* replace a mini 1G battery with a 2G one

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Windows Reigns Supreme

the whole 8hr battery life doesnt bother me. my previous mp3 player ran on a single AAA with about 7-8 hours of battery life. being un-able to charge the AAA battery mid-way through depletion, it was a pain to not let it die. but, in the 3-4 months ive had it, that 7-8hr battery life has only failed me once. but if i can recharge it everyday once im done listening to it, it would never die so if i had to live with a 1g mini i could, but thankfully im getting a 2g in a few days.

Nazirific sig requirements...400 by 100 is what (literally) every sig maker uses, so 300 by 50 is just dumb.

My "Blog"
FrostByte Designs

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

I feel your pain...stupidfresh
my mini does the same thing...only 4 hours of battery life
So, I called up Apple and requested for repair. Hopefully they will at least replace the battery...I doubt they will replace my mini though.

Last edited by gil2005; 07-09-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 PM

Junior Lounger

i just went tot he apple store yesterday, i had to make an appointment with a Genius and after like 3 hours it was my turn, then he made me wait 2 more hours but he replaced my whole ipod right there no leaving it for repair or anything.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 AM

Junior Lounger

I believe it's their policy to always replace. That's why they can send it back in a week. If they fixed every iPod and sent them back you'd have to wait weeks before they even got to fixing yours.

The one you send in is checked to see if it's really faulty. Then they send a replacement. I speculate that later they fix your iPod and but in the replacement pile to go to someone else. Or they might trash it if had, say, a big scratch mark on it. (Though I've heard of Apple denying service to scratched up iPods cause they think you've abused it and that's why it stopped working.)

*1G iPod mini (4GB, silver)
*Carbon iSkin
* iTunesRegistry.com: 1,032 tracks, 2.687 diversity
*5.29 GB of music::2.6 days
Old 08-28-2005, 10:43 AM

Reclined Lounger

In reality, you *CAN* replace a battery from a 1G with a 2G. The title is bogus.

You could, but it would be somewhat pointless.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well folks as anticipated, there are now 750mah high capacity batteries available for all of your 1gen mini ipod owners out there, wishing you had longer battery life like the 2gen minis are getting.

The battery life improvements for the 2gens are clearly from more energy efficient processors AND NOT from the battery itself.

Since the original mini battery was 400mah, the 750mah ones should technically nearly double battery life = 15hrs. I say "technically" because in the real world, you don't want to put too much into all the marketing hype. However, these new high capacity batteries will definitely boost 1 gen battery life SIGNIFICANTLY!
Old 10-21-2005, 11:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

i need help

Alright.... i recenley reformated my cpu. i have all the music on my ipod but i dont want to earase. so my ? for you guys is how do i get it out of my ipod and into the libray ive tried hacking threw it and that dosent really work 2 well and ive tried other moving it into differant folders and that dosent help so maybe if u guys could help me figure this out itd be cool and less frusterating
Old 03-11-2006, 12:09 AM

.asian

Chiccoboi, i'm pretty sure that means your battery is dead, and the only way to keep it on is to keep it connected to the charger, i think.

Krn iPod

Current: iPhone 4 | 16GB | RocketFish SoftGel Case | 380 Songs
Past: iPod Touch 2G 8GB | iPod Nano 3G 8GB | iPod Nano 2G 4GB | iPod B&W 4G 20 GB
Old 03-15-2006, 02:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hi,

I have two iPods, a 1G mini and a 2G mini.

Unfortunately my 2G mini is totally screwed, Well, my Clickwheel is.

My 1G is alright but the battery in it is totally dead.

I want to replace the 1G Battery with my 2G Battery. I don't think I have read anyone in this situation or what would happen if it do it? (Still, same poor 1G battery life? Will it at least work?)

I could either do that, or replace the 2G mini with the 1G Clickwheel, (And possibly may need) the 1G Microdrive

Any thoughts?

Last edited by dolbinau; 03-15-2006 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:16 PM

Pro Lounger

You can replace the 1G battery with the 2G battery, but there won't be any battery life increase.

I am not sure about replacing the scroll wheel, but its worth a try.

If not you can always get a 750mAH mini battery off Ebay which would probably push the 1G battery life to 12-14 hours for like $12 shipped.

2006 Honda Accord with Griffin RoadTrip
1996 Ford Explorer with cassette adapter
Black Nano 2G 8GB
Biostar TForce550/A64 X2 @ 2.85Ghz/2GB Ram/Geforce 7900gs
Old 06-21-2006, 11:25 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Be careful about replacing with a battery of higher power capacity. U wanna make sure it fits into that very confined space.

There was a post of somenone doing that to his 3G, seem to fit at first, then the battery got "fatter" as it warmed up, pushing down on the HD enough to cause probs.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:36 PM

Yes, I fix dem iPods...

Thumbs up

well...

i have a buisness fixing ipods and ive done my research and accualy the 2nd Gen battery IS different but not by much. What makes the 2nd Gen have more battery life is a motherboard change and a new battery. So technicly you COULD change the 1st Gen battery with a 2nd but you might only have about 10 hours instead of the 2nd Gen 18 hours.

thanks yall
Old 08-29-2006, 06:09 PM

Apple Lover

What a good idea to make this a sticky!

| Have a Question? Email me | ericlewis91@gmail.com l
Old 12-13-2006, 02:54 PM

Junior Lounger

quick question:

is 1G the two minis that came out? because there was the first ipod mini & then there was that other one that came out with lights on the buttons the same color as the ipod, so are those two considered 1G?

is the 2G the one with the colored lights? or is it the nano that came out now?

thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 03:17 PM

NOT a mind reader

I'm not sure what you mean by coloured lights.

These are the 1st Gen minis:

These are the 2nd Gen minis:

Notice how the wheel labels are the same colour as the minis in the 2nd Generation...

Read: Identifying iPod models for more info.

QFT: "The iPod is not a device in which you can store your music collection w/o having it backed up using another option. - honeybee1236"
-----
iLounge URLs: iPod/iTunes Beginner's Guide | Copy Music from iPod to Computer | iPod 101/201 | iPod FAQs | Last 24h. | vBulletin FAQ

Apple URLs: Battery Test | iPod manuals | iPod 101 | iPod Higher learning | iTunes Support | iPod and iPhone: TV Out support | Setting Vol. Limit | iPod with 2+ computers | How much stuff will fit?

Topic: Why you *CANNOT* replace a mini 1G battery with a 2G one

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.