Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why you *CANNOT* replace a mini 1G battery with a 2G one

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 AM

Junior Lounger

It is possible to get a 500mAh battery to your iPod mini from this site: http://www.ipodupgrade.nl/

I bought one last week and it's great. Of course it's not the 18 hours of playtime you can get with the new iPod mini but now i can get about 8 hours of playtime compared to 5-6 hours with the old battery (because i use EQ and backlight, and also skip songs a lot).

So it's not a lot of extra juice you're getting, but if you're about to replace your battery anyways it might be a good idea to upgrade it at the same time.

Last edited by WarCow; 04-12-2005 at 12:04 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

I didnt even know that they made ipod mini 1 and 2g i thought they only made 4g and 6g
http://flatface.homestead.com/flat1.html http://flatface.homestead.com/flat1.html http://flatface.homestead.com/flat1.html go on this its good

dan jal
Old 04-13-2005, 06:37 AM

Digital Hooligan

1G & 2G refer to first & second generation, the acronym for a gigabyte is GB, very easy to confuse..

STOP SPAMMING YOUR URL EVERYWHERE.

T.

How many iPods does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
[4GB Black iPod nano | 15GB 3G iPod | UE super.fi 5 Pro's | B&O A8's [SOLD] | AKG K66's]
Old 04-13-2005, 06:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

well i was meaning GIG its easier way of saying gigabyte.
http://flatface.homestead.com/flat1.html

dan jal
Old 04-13-2005, 07:08 AM

All Rush, All the time...

For the same reasion you can not change the otherwise identical 650mhA Batterie in the 3G iPod with the One from a 4G / iPod Photo.

The 2G Mini has a Different Portal Player Chipset then the original Mini. Because it uses less Power to run the the original the Batterie will last longer. Think of it a a Glass of Soda. You can either sip it little by little of chuck it down in one big gulp. The Amount of Soda is the same for everyone, though.

Get it now??

Perhaps for sake of convetion and claraty we should refer to the Mini as 'Mini G1' (4Gb) and 'Mini G2' (6Gb),. In much the same way as the 'iPod Photo G1' (40Gb & 60Gb), and 'iPod Photo G2' (30Gb & 60Gb)...

Last edited by Ichijoe; 04-13-2005 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

So just to clarify - sorry to be annoying - If I send in my 1G Mini (green) they will just replace the battery - not the whole iPod? How does this work - do they stock the parts?

i am not having significant battery issues (yet, although I think it is depleting) but I am approaching the 1 year warranty date and want to know if it is advisable to send in for the replacement. If they send me a 2Generation - there is no question but if they just purely replace the battery....is it worth it? has anyone do this?

Let me know, thanks!
Old 04-25-2005, 02:50 PM

Pro Lounger

If you send it in they will either replace the battery with one that performs the same as a new 1G Mini would or they would send you a 1G Mini if they still have them in stock. I doubt they would send back a 2G.

Personally what I am going to do is wait until the Mini battery performance is unbearable and buy an upgraded battery like this one:
http://www.pdasmart.com/products/AP3...centermini.htm

2006 Honda Accord with Griffin RoadTrip
1996 Ford Explorer with cassette adapter
Black Nano 2G 8GB
Biostar TForce550/A64 X2 @ 2.85Ghz/2GB Ram/Geforce 7900gs
Old 04-25-2005, 04:39 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by WarCow
It is possible to get a 500mAh battery to your iPod mini from this site:

I bought one last week and it's great. Of course it's not the 18 hours of playtime you can get with the new iPod mini but now i can get about 8 hours of playtime compared to 5-6 hours with the old battery (because i use EQ and backlight, and also skip songs a lot).

So it's not a lot of extra juice you're getting, but if you're about to replace your battery anyways it might be a good idea to upgrade it at the same time.
I've had my iPod mini for a couple of weeks and it's only giving me about 5/6 hours of battery life, without EQ or backlight. It's 1G, so no 18 hours for me! I've thought about sending it back but it's now below the half way mark. And I don't think I'd get a 2nd Gen in exchange.

As far as replacement battery life, has anyone tried that 720mAh battery which looks interesting. I know I'm not going to get 18 hours just by sticking one of those in, but I'd imagine I'd get at least double what I'm getting now.

Last edited by Channard; 04-25-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:08 PM

Pro Lounger

The 720mAH should give you around 15-16 hours assuming the rating is accurate. The only problem is that it could be difficult to install yourself, though they'll do it for you for 5 dollars more.

2006 Honda Accord with Griffin RoadTrip
1996 Ford Explorer with cassette adapter
Black Nano 2G 8GB
Biostar TForce550/A64 X2 @ 2.85Ghz/2GB Ram/Geforce 7900gs
Old 05-02-2005, 03:54 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by funnyperson1
The 720mAH should give you around 15-16 hours assuming the rating is accurate. The only problem is that it could be difficult to install yourself, though they'll do it for you for 5 dollars more.
It's certainly tempting - I'll probably wait till Feb when my iPod Mini 1G warranty runs out, although maybe there'll be even higher mAH mini batteries then.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

i mailed my 1g ipod to them 3 weeks ago because my battery was totally dead, and i got a new ipod mini, i knew this because there was a huge scratch on the back and it wasnt there anymore, but it came with the 8 hour battery not the new 18 hour, but still mybattery isnt 8 hours and i never use my backlight or anything, i timed my use today and it was 91 min and it was dead, should i call them up again?
Old 05-21-2005, 02:12 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by stupidfresh
but it came with the 8 hour battery not the new 18 hour, but still mybattery isnt 8 hours and i never use my backlight or anything, i timed my use today and it was 91 min and it was dead, should i call them up again?
- Please read the first post in this thread
- Did you let the new one charge fully before first use?

iPhone 4GB
+ iPod mini 2G 4GB + Shure E2c
Old 05-21-2005, 07:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

well if they give you a whole new ipod, why cant they just give you a 2g one, and yes i did charge it fully, i called them up and they told me to reset, which i did, but the battery still is 4.5 to 5 hours long, which sucks because its dead by the time i get out of school
Old 06-16-2005, 06:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

im having a prob with my mini ipod (1st gen) wenever i unplug it from the charger it says low battery. i couldnt use it anymore without it connected to the charger..is my ipod wrecked? is it included in its warranty? btw, how long is it on warranty?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:58 PM

Über Lounger

That isn't normal dude. I'd check it out with Apple to make sure it is covered, but, chances are it is.
Warranty is a year.

iPod Mini 4gig 2G. iTrip Mini, Toughskin Mini.
237 songs, 1.2 gigs. 21:19:36

Topic: Why you *CANNOT* replace a mini 1G battery with a 2G one

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.