x platform playlists

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pairustwo

Hi, I'm a windows kid and I want to help a teacher to rip a bunch of cds and load them onto her iPod. She uses a mac.

I have mac drive already so I don't think recognizing the iPod will be a problem. What I wonder about is creating smart playlists, or playlists in general. Once I create the criteria - say the 100 most recently played songs or what ever- what happens then?

I know that playlists are usually text files with a list of paths to a certain file on your hard drive. I guess that playlists on the iPod are the same but they only check for songs on the iPods drive hence no path.

Are smart playlists somehow generated on the fly based on info kept inside the iPod's database?

Can they only be created in iTunes or do the Anapod morrphlists act the same way?

When you synch your iPod or add new tracks to it do smart playlists automatically up date / Are they recreated each time they are accessed?

I think that is all I am wondering about playlists for now.
Thanks,
Pairustwo

pairustwo

Oh, yeah,
If I do this on my compter will she be locked out by her computer in terms of adding an synching songs.

I read that once an ipod is associated with a computer that is it. It dosen't work with other machines.

Is this only true of iTunes? If I stay away from iTunes while setting up her iPod will she be able to continue using her own computer and own copy of iTunes to work with her iPod?

Thanks again.

Pairustwo.

Put the iPod on manaul to stop it from deleting the music from the iPod. She will need to remove the music to her PC & reformat it if she wants to auto sync it with the mac. If she only wants to use it on manual then she will be alright. She can use PodUtil (#1 in my sig has the link) to transfer the music back to her computer.

Smart playlist are created on the fly & can be set to live update. I have 1, 2, 3, & 4 stars smart playlist w/live update turned on so when I rate a song it will automatically go into the correct list. This way I can create a smart playlist as I listen to music. If this is what you mean by 'on the fly'.

You can use the SmartPlaylist site (http://www.smartplaylists.com) for additional help in creating them.

I don't use Anapod and don't know about that software.