Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Best way to arrange music on your hard drive? What about adding new songs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-12-2005, 05:03 PM

Junior Lounger

Best way to arrange music on your hard drive? What about adding new songs?

Currently I have a terrible system of file management. I have a "Full CD's" directory and a "Regular" directory (for individual songs). Since I just got my iPod a few days ago, I spent a good 10 hours fixing ID3 tags, genres, etc, etc... Now I'm wondering if I should just put ALL of my MP3's into a single directory. Would this be wise?

What is the best way to organize MP3's on your hard drive? (I know that when I import into iTunes that directories are pointless, but it's still nice to see the actual files....)

Also, when you download/rip a new song or album, how do you organize it/add it to iTunes? (I know how to "import" but I'm asking what you do with the actual files on your hard drive before you add it)

Can iTunes automatically monitor a directory and all subdirectories for me? (so I don't have to manually import songs every time I use it?)

I'm a bit worried about using my main MP3 directory as my iTunes directory because iTunes seems to want to convert everything to AAC for whatever reason...

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-12-2005, 06:14 PM

You best bet would be to move all your music to My Document/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. Then open iTunes, click Edit, then click "Preferences." Click on the Advanced tab, then make sure that the box next to "Keep iTunes Music Folder organized" is checked. Then click OK. Then click on File, "Add Folder To Library" and select the iTunes Music folder. This will add everyone of your mp3's to iTunes and organize them for you by ID tag. If you are using an external ripper, your best bet would be to change the ripping programs setting so that it rips to the default directory of My Document/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. Then after you are done ripping click on File, "Add Folder To Library" and select the iTunes Music folder. I don't know why your iTunes wants to change everything to AAC. Which software are you using to rip? You can change the iTunes importing preferences to mp3, this will change the setting when ripping the CD to your hard drive. To my knowledge, iTunes cannot automatically import songs that you added to the default directory. You must add them manually, but I may be wrong.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-12-2005, 09:14 PM

Power Lounger

Kornchild is right. iTunes will not convert MP3s to ACC when you import. That only applies to ripping CDs with iTunes. You can, however, choose to convert existing MP3 to AAC, but that is a manual process.

If you've already imported most of your music to iTunes, you can go to Advanced>Consolidate Library. That will gather up all of your music and copy it to the the main iTunes music folder. Checking Copy to Music Folder when importing will accomplish the same thing when adding new files. However, this only copies the file, leaving the original on our hard drive in its original folder, which you will have to delete yourself.

As far as what I do with the files before importing, I don't to anything. I let iTunes organize my music folder, so once I import a song, I alter the ID3 tags within iTunes (if they need to be fixed) and let iTunes just copy and organize the file itself.

Chris - iOS Apps, Tips, Tricks, and Reviews
All iPhoneography, all the time.
She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
Well, I got better...
Old 02-12-2005, 09:30 PM

Junior Lounger

Is there a way I can have iTunes automatically import files inside a directory? Meaning, if I buy songs from another service (eg. allofmp3.com) or if I rip them with a different program it will be automatically imported and organized?
Old 02-12-2005, 09:41 PM

Power Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by sofakng
Is there a way I can have iTunes automatically import files inside a directory? Meaning, if I buy songs from another service (eg. allofmp3.com) or if I rip them with a different program it will be automatically imported and organized?
No. iTunes does not have the ablity to "watch" folders and automatically import songs. Some P2P applications and Podcast aggregators will automatically copy songs to iTunes when you download content, but only content you get through those applications. Anything you download on your own has to be imported manually.

Chris - iOS Apps, Tips, Tricks, and Reviews
All iPhoneography, all the time.
She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
Well, I got better...

Topic: Best way to arrange music on your hard drive? What about adding new songs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.