Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: REVISED & UPDATED: The CONSOLIDATED "corrupt file" and "run chkdsk" thread.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-13-2005, 09:41 AM

Junior Lounger

I've recently had this problem after having my 40Gb 4G Windows iPod for about 3 months. I also noticed that half an album, of the last album I added, was missing on both my iPod and iTunes. I have no idea why it dissaperared off itunes but believe it may be related.

Going to run the 2nd fix and also add the 3am thing so my ipod doesnt go into deepsleep.

[edit] I ran the fix and afterwards it said that there had been no faults found on the ipod had-disk. Who knows eh? Well I'm going to sync it a few more times in the next few hours to see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys, do you also think you could put a headline on the ipodloung frontpage when the new ipod software fixing this is released? Thanks [/edit]

[/edit2]I added the alarm feature with a 20 second song and it seems happy doing this, it powers off after a couple of minutes of the end of the playlist so battery life is maintained. [/edit2]

Last edited by CrazyNutter; 03-13-2005 at 10:16 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuru72
If you ignore the error message it will not "screw up" your iPod, but your iPod will not properly increase your PlayCounts file. Therefore, any playlists which rely on the playcounts will not update properly. However, if this doesn't bother you, you can just sit back and wait for Apple to release an official fix.
whats the PlayCounts file.. or playcounts..?
sorry if this is a dumb question -_-
but any help is appreciated
Old 03-17-2005, 05:56 AM

Junior Lounger

When ever you play a song it adds "one" to that songs playcount. If you go to the Playlist on your iPod of top 25 songs, that is the list of songs with the highest playcount.

The PlayCounts file records the playcounts of every song on the iPod.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyNutter
When ever you play a song it adds "one" to that songs playcount. If you go to the Playlist on your iPod of top 25 songs, that is the list of songs with the highest playcount.

The PlayCounts file records the playcounts of every song on the iPod.
Exactly. And when people get this error message, it means that the file that stores the play counts for all of your songs is corrupt. If you just ignore the error message, your playcounts will not update as you play songs. For some, this isn't a big deal. For others, they want the playcounts updated because certain of their playlists incorporate playcounts.

For example, if you have a playlist that contains your "top 25 most played songs," that playlist will not correctly update because the playcounts file will not update.

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 03-18-2005, 12:31 AM

Freshman Lounger

oh thats it.. ?
that doesnt bother me then =]
thanks for the help pplz
Old 03-28-2005, 06:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

I've been experiencing all of the same problems as previous users. Just some background on it though. On Thursday of last week I had about 23 gigs of music on my 3rd gen 40gig Ipod. I tried putting a few albums on and was greeted with a message that "Attempting to copy to the disk 'IPOD" failed. An unknown error occured (-69)" I disconnected the Ipod and tried doing it again, getting the same message but also this time with a prompt telling me I needed to restore my Ipod's software. This couldn't be done w/o doing a full restore, which I did.

After the full restore I attempted to re-add all of my music, which went fine for a certain time period then the same Failure to copy to disk message would appear. I got about 10 gigs of music on after about 20 tries at updating the Ipod before I had to restore again. This happened about three times over the weekend. I decided to sit on it yesterday and go at it again today (Monday). This is when I started getting the Yellow box about corruption files on the Ipod.

So I decided to Google search the phrases that were appearing and now I'm at this webpage. Now I can't even restore the original settings because when I try I get this message from the Ipod updater, "Firmware update failure. Disk write error." My Ipod is currently completely empty(its not even running witht he O/S it has the Folder logo displaying) and even though I've restarted my Ipod and PC numerous times I still cannot restore the Ipod.

Can anyone help me with this problem so I can hopefully fix the other problem? I have a four year replacement plan with Bestbuy. This is really upsetting me and I'm planning on just exchanging it...

- Craig
Old 03-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by craig1111
I've been experiencing all of the same problems as previous users. Just some background on it though. On Thursday of last week I had about 23 gigs of music on my 3rd gen 40gig iPod. I tried putting a few albums on and was greeted with a message that "Attempting to copy to the disk 'IPOD" failed. An unknown error occured (-69)" I disconnected the iPod and tried doing it again, getting the same message but also this time with a prompt telling me I needed to restore my iPod's software. This couldn't be done w/o doing a full restore, which I did.

After the full restore I attempted to re-add all of my music, which went fine for a certain time period then the same Failure to copy to disk message would appear. I got about 10 gigs of music on after about 20 tries at updating the iPod before I had to restore again. This happened about three times over the weekend. I decided to sit on it yesterday and go at it again today (Monday). This is when I started getting the Yellow box about corruption files on the iPod.

So I decided to Google search the phrases that were appearing and now I'm at this webpage. Now I can't even restore the original settings because when I try I get this message from the iPod updater, "Firmware update failure. Disk write error." My iPod is currently completely empty(its not even running witht he O/S it has the Folder logo displaying) and even though I've restarted my iPod and PC numerous times I still cannot restore the iPod.

Can anyone help me with this problem so I can hopefully fix the other problem? I have a four year replacement plan with Bestbuy. This is really upsetting me and I'm planning on just exchanging it...

- Craig
Craig-

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your iPod.

However, these problems do not appear to be in any way related to the "corrupt file" problem at issue in this thread.

Your best bet to get a response would be to post your problem in the general "iPod Problems - Windows" forums by creating a brand new thread.

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 03-28-2005, 08:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuru72
Craig-

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your iPod.

However, these problems do not appear to be in any way related to the "corrupt file" problem at issue in this thread.

Your best bet to get a response would be to post your problem in the general "iPod Problems - Windows" forums by creating a brand new thread.
I've actually fixed the problem using Method #2. The reason why I posted information about the other problems was because it seemed as if they were as a result or the cause of the corruption problems that this thread is dealing with. So hopefully if this happens to someone else they'll know it wasn't a complete melt-down.

Anyways, I used Method #2. The runchkdsk yielded no corrupt files when I initially ran it because of a complete format, however, when I tried re-adding all of my files it worked perfectly. Hopefully there won't be any problems when I try adding new music. And better yet, hopefully Apple releases a bug-fix for this A.S.A.P. or else I'll be forced to exchange mine for a newer model and I'm not particular fond of the 4th gens.

Another issue that I haven't seen fully addressed is the deep sleep issue. I don't think that downtime is what necessarilly causes this, as I use my Ipod daily (in the car, running, at the gym.)

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:31 AM

Freshman Lounger

Apple's link onthe issue

Here is Apple Support's link for the issue:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300554
Old 04-02-2005, 11:44 AM

Re: Apple's link onthe issue

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkA
Here is Apple Support's link for the issue:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300554
MarkA-

That Apple support link is very old and will NOT (I repeat, will NOT) solve the problem.

If you restore your iPod using the iPod Updater listed in the support link, the exact same problem will return as soon as the iPod goes back into a deep sleep as I've detailed above.

So, to anyone experiencing this problem, do not follow the instructions in the link provided by MarkA. All that will happen is you'll waste a lot of your time and you'll have to deal with this problem all over again once your iPod goes into a deep sleep.

I (along with a group of people at the Apple Discussion Forums) have spent many, many, many hours researching this problem and dealing with Level 2 Apple supervisors to get this problem resolved.

I will always provide the latest information in this thread.

If any of you are experiencing this problem, follow the steps I have outlined in the first couple of posts of this thread and you will be fine.

MarkA - I appreciate the thought and I know you were trying to help, but, unfortunately, the information in that link is no good and will not solve the problem.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |

Last edited by GadgetGuru72; 04-02-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quick check disk and defrag shortcuts

Just in case some don't know, you can run a quick utility on your ipod by using mycomputer and directing to the drive the ipod is on. Right click and use properties and then select the check disk and defrag utilities options. Hopefully they will get a fix out soon.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for maintaining this thread. I ran check disk, though I did it through "My Computer," and I no longer get that pesky message and my playlist counts work.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 04-08-2005, 12:50 PM

UPDATE . . . AND CALL FOR HELP.

Ok, as of today (April 8, 2005) there is still not an official fix from Apple.

Unfortunately, I just got finished reading a few posts at the Apple Discussion forums and one of their users just finished speaking with a Level 2 supervisor at Apple who said that they are working on the problem, but it's not a high priority for them because not enough people are suffering from this problem.

I suspect that not many people suffer from this problem because most people use their iPod everyday and have never allowed it to go into a deep sleep. Others, like the people who have visited this thread, have been hit with this problem and are awaiting a solution.

It appears that if we're going to get an official fix for this problem any time in the near future, Apple needs to be made aware of the fact that this problem is affecting many people.

So, to all the people who regularly read this thread hoping for a fix, please contact Apple's technical support line and ask to speak to a manager.

Unless you're within the first 90 days following your purchase or you have an AppleCare plan, they'll give you the rundown about how you need to pay $50 for a new "issue." Just tell them that numerous people are dealing with this problem and you just want a Level 2 supervisor to be aware that you are also affected by it. It may take a little bit of convincing, but they'll eventually let you through without having to pay.

Hopefully, if enough people do this, they'll realize that it's a serious problem and needs their immediate attention.

Thank you.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |

Last edited by GadgetGuru72; 04-09-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

Add me to the list of users who are experiencing this problem with my iPod Photo...very annoying.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Download the latest iPod Updater > Update Software > Restore.

Done. No need for chkdsk or any of that crap.

Topic: REVISED & UPDATED: The CONSOLIDATED "corrupt file" and "run chkdsk" thread.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.