Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: REVISED & UPDATED: The CONSOLIDATED "corrupt file" and "run chkdsk" thread.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-17-2005, 12:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok- time to burst into tears. I got the old updater from the link on the apple forums... but it wont work- it loads up, starts initialising and then says:

ipod service error

This happens even if i use the most recent updater...

What's going on?

Last edited by Ta-Yu; 02-17-2005 at 12:30 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:34 PM

Are you clicking "restore" or "update." You need to click restore. If that's what you're doing and it's still not working, your problem is not related to the corrupt playcounts file issue discussed in this thread. Instead, your problem seems much bigger and much more severe.

I suggest you start a new thread in the iPod Problems forum. Explain that you tried to restore the iPod due to numerous problems you were experiencing, but you're getting an "iPod service error" message and it won't let you restore.

What you're experiencing is not related to the subject of this particular thread, so you're not likely to get help here. By starting a new thread, hopefully somebody can help you.

Best of luck!

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 02-19-2005, 02:55 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for all the great info! I used option #1 and have yet to see the corrupt error bubble. I guess I ,like others, will just have to wait for the update. Until then I will avoid allowing my IPod to fall into deep sleep. Thanks again for helping me to solve an irritating problem!
Old 02-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OrangeBlossom05
Thanks for all the great info! I used option #1 and have yet to see the corrupt error bubble. I guess I ,like others, will just have to wait for the update. Until then I will avoid allowing my IPod to fall into deep sleep. Thanks again for helping me to solve an irritating problem!
No problem. Glad to be of help.

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 02-22-2005, 03:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

But do we need to run chkdsk?

This might sound like a strange question but do we really need to run chkdsk?

I get the play counts version of the message, but my ipod continues to work (so far) flawlessly, any cd's i rip into itunes synch fine onto the ipod etc etc.

so whilst it may or may not be a mild annoyance to have that little corrupt file message pop up, does it actually matter?

i'm just wondering whether i need to do it, deep down i suppose i'm just a little concerned with where i stand with apple if I run the chkdsk utility and make matters worse. especially if I don't need to run the chkdsk utility anyway.

so my question is, do i need to run the chkdsk utility for any reason other than not having to see the message?

regards
Mark
Old 02-22-2005, 04:03 PM

Re: But do we need to run chkdsk?

Quote:
Originally posted by Marky86
This might sound like a strange question but do we really need to run chkdsk?

I get the play counts version of the message, but my ipod continues to work (so far) flawlessly, any cd's i rip into itunes synch fine onto the ipod etc etc.

so whilst it may or may not be a mild annoyance to have that little corrupt file message pop up, does it actually matter?

i'm just wondering whether i need to do it, deep down i suppose i'm just a little concerned with where i stand with apple if I run the chkdsk utility and make matters worse. especially if I don't need to run the chkdsk utility anyway.

so my question is, do i need to run the chkdsk utility for any reason other than not having to see the message?

regards
Mark
If playcounts matter to you, you'll need to run CHKDSK. Once the files become corrupt, it doesn't continue to properly register playcounts. Therefore, although your iPod will continue to play and sync, you're not updating playcounts.

For your iPod to work 100% properly, you will need to run CHKDSK and fix the corrupt file.

Not only that, but I would have to assume that when Apple does release a fix, the fix will ensure that the problem doesn't occur. In other words, it's not likely going to fix anything that has already occurred. So, eventually you will likely need to run CHKDSK.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 02-23-2005, 12:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

no luck on 2-22-2005

Well, I see today's software updater still has the same ipod software for the G4 units. Bummer, I was hoping for a fix to this.

Brian
Old 02-23-2005, 01:43 PM

Re: no luck on 2-22-2005

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbigbri
Well, I see today's software updater still has the same ipod software for the G4 units. Bummer, I was hoping for a fix to this.

Brian
-- I got pretty excited when I saw that, too. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 02-26-2005, 03:50 PM

Just wanted to let everybody know that I just posted an update to my summary above. Here's the newest info:

Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuru72
Update to Fix #2

After completing fix #2 (above), the iPod will be fixed and you will no longer get the error message if you prevent the iPod from going into a deep sleep. Accordingly, it is necessary that you prevent your iPod from going unused for more than 36 hours.

A user at the Apple Discussion Forums (named JimUK69) has come up with a clever solution to making sure your iPod doesn't enter a deep sleep:

(1) Create a new playlist with either no songs or a very short song.

(2) Set a daily alarm which wakes the iPod up at 3am, and plays this empty or very short playlist.

By doing this, you will ensure your iPod is used for at least a few seconds every single day, and it will not go back into a deep sleep. Therefore, you can now wait patiently for Apple to get around to releasing an official fix.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 02-27-2005, 12:39 AM

Rock the Cashbah

Quote:
Just wanted to let everybody know that I just posted an update to my summary above. Here's the newest info:
This is a pretty sucky problem. Anyone talked to an apple store about this? I'm thinking this may just be a great opportunity to get a new scratch free ipod on apples dollar...hehe. I'm going to run the chkdsk, but making sure it doens't go into deep sleep is rediculous. One reason I chose the 'pod was because of apples' track record. I'm dissapointed to see them trying to brush this problem under the rug. It seems like the new sucess of the 'pod is changing things around apple. I've had lots of friends with mac's before, and any little problem was taken care of pronto. It seemed like apple cared more about keeping it's loyal customers then getting a few new ones with low prices..whats up?

Old 02-27-2005, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffsJeep04
This is a pretty sucky problem. Anyone talked to an apple store about this? I'm thinking this may just be a great opportunity to get a new scratch free ipod on apples dollar...hehe. I'm going to run the chkdsk, but making sure it doens't go into deep sleep is rediculous. One reason I chose the 'pod was because of apples' track record. I'm dissapointed to see them trying to brush this problem under the rug. It seems like the new sucess of the 'pod is changing things around apple. I've had lots of friends with mac's before, and any little problem was taken care of pronto. It seemed like apple cared more about keeping it's loyal customers then getting a few new ones with low prices..whats up?
It's a firmware issue, not a hardware issue. Getting a new iPod isn't going to help.

I have been dealing with a level 2 supervisor at Apple for months now and have been assured they're working on a fix.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 02-27-2005, 02:30 AM

Rock the Cashbah

Quote:
It's a firmware issue, not a hardware issue. Getting a new iPod isn't going to help.

I have been dealing with a level 2 supervisor at Apple for months now and have been assured they're working on a fix.
I'm well aware that the it's a firmwear problem...doesn't mean we can't get a new one from a non-confrontational employee..hehe. That was more of a pipe dream, but hey, it makes the day better. Any idea AT ALL when we can be expecting the fix?

Old 02-27-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffsJeep04
Any idea AT ALL when we can be expecting the fix?
Unfortuntately, there is no concrete date. "They're working on it" is about the extent of the response I get. People at the Apple Discussion Forums seem to think it will come before the end of April.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 02-27-2005, 01:50 PM

Rock the Cashbah

Quote:
Unfortuntately, there is no concrete date. "They're working on it" is about the extent of the response I get. People at the Apple Discussion Forums seem to think it will come before the end of April.
*turns ipod on and off[/mope]

Old 03-01-2005, 12:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

My 4th gen 40gb ipod started doing the same corrupt notice. I checked out the options listed here and chose #2. Ran a check disk and the problem has not appeared in 2 weeks. I use my ipod sparingly, 2 or 3 times a week lately. This has not seemed to matter. Thanks for the help information.

Topic: REVISED & UPDATED: The CONSOLIDATED "corrupt file" and "run chkdsk" thread.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.