Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: REVISED & UPDATED: The CONSOLIDATED "corrupt file" and "run chkdsk" thread.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-24-2007, 11:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Okay. So I've looked through most of the post in this thread and none can seem to answer my question(s), or I maybe just be missing something.
Now, I've just recently bought my friends Ipod Video[30GB] The ipod is in good condition and when I bought it it already had songs on it. Worked fine. The trouble started when I got home and plugged it into my Windows Inspiron 1000. Now I have an Ipod Video 30 GB as well. Mine is old and busted up, another story, but it synched the perfectly with my notebook. Anyway I plug this one in and it takes a short time for itunes to show me the summary page. A window pops up that says "autoplay" and then itunes shows the summary page. As well as another window that says, "iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this ipod before it can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the ipod." I press ok, restore the iPod. Then several minutes later the same message appears. I did this several times before I started searching for some answers. If someone could please help me that would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Brian

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briannpw
Okay. So I've looked through most of the post in this thread and none can seem to answer my question(s), or I maybe just be missing something.
Now, I've just recently bought my friends Ipod Video[30GB] The ipod is in good condition and when I bought it it already had songs on it. Worked fine. The trouble started when I got home and plugged it into my Windows Inspiron 1000. Now I have an Ipod Video 30 GB as well. Mine is old and busted up, another story, but it synched the perfectly with my notebook. Anyway I plug this one in and it takes a short time for itunes to show me the summary page. A window pops up that says "autoplay" and then itunes shows the summary page. As well as another window that says, "iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this ipod before it can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the ipod." I press ok, restore the iPod. Then several minutes later the same message appears. I did this several times before I started searching for some answers. If someone could please help me that would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Brian
Brian-

The information in this thread is now very outdated. It dealt with a specific issue that affected 4th generation iPods and has now been resolved. I have edited the 1st post in this thread to reflect that the information contained herein is not relevant to 5th generation iPods.

Your problem, while similar, is not identical to what was discussed in this thread.

In any event, are you sure that you did a full "restore"? I ask because you said "a few minutes later" the same problem occurred. A full "restore" would take longer than a few minutes. So, make sure you've done a complete and full restore. If the iPod was not wiped clean and you were not forced to start from scratch with syncing the iPod again, you did not do a full restore.

If you did do a full restore and you get the same "corruption" error message on startup, you may unfortunately have a failed hard drive. I realize that you said that iPod looks great, but exterior looks don't always give you a window into the quality/condition of the hard drive.

If you've done a full restore and it didn't help, you may be forced to look into one of the iPod "rescue" places that can repair damaged iPods.

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |

Last edited by GadgetGuru72; 06-25-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same problem with my 5th generation 30g Ipod Video.

I purchased the ipod over 3 weeks ago, since then I have not been able to download one thing to my ipod as I am unable to sync the ipod. I have downloaded itunes and once my ipod is connected I instantly receive this message "your ipod needs to be reformatted for windows. Would you like to run itunes to restore you ipod now?", i click "ok" only to receive the next message "itunes has detected an ipod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this ipod before it can be used with itunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting you ipod" I again clink "ok" and then click "restore" my ipod goes through what appears to be the process of restoring the ipod it takes only a few minutes as i assume this is because there is nothing on the ipod. once the ipod has finished restoring and my ipod has restarted I am not given the option to sync my ipod instead the same message reappears advising the ipod is corrupt. The "sync ipod" in intunes is not highlighted so I cant even do it manually, I have restored the ipod many times, I have gone through all the Q. and A. soloutions provided on the apple website and I am still unable to get past restoring the ipod. I have even contacted the service and support centre only to be told to go into my local Apple service centre for assitance where I was told my ipod is working fine and there is no more that they can do

I am assuming the issue is between itunes and my computer, but i have no idea how to fix it as I feel ive tried everything.

Please help before my ipod is trown through the window.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlilly1406
Hi,

I have been experiencing the same problem with my 5th generation 30g Ipod Video.

I purchased the ipod over 3 weeks ago, since then I have not been able to download one thing to my ipod as I am unable to sync the ipod. I have downloaded itunes and once my ipod is connected I instantly receive this message "your ipod needs to be reformatted for windows. Would you like to run itunes to restore you ipod now?", i click "ok" only to receive the next message "itunes has detected an ipod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this ipod before it can be used with itunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting you ipod" I again clink "ok" and then click "restore" my ipod goes through what appears to be the process of restoring the ipod it takes only a few minutes as i assume this is because there is nothing on the ipod. once the ipod has finished restoring and my ipod has restarted I am not given the option to sync my ipod instead the same message reappears advising the ipod is corrupt. The "sync ipod" in intunes is not highlighted so I cant even do it manually, I have restored the ipod many times, I have gone through all the Q. and A. soloutions provided on the apple website and I am still unable to get past restoring the ipod. I have even contacted the service and support centre only to be told to go into my local Apple service centre for assitance where I was told my ipod is working fine and there is no more that they can do

I am assuming the issue is between itunes and my computer, but i have no idea how to fix it as I feel ive tried everything.

Please help before my ipod is trown through the window.
As I said above and as I highlighted in red text, the topic being discussed in this thread is not relevant to 5th generation iPods.

This thread is limited to a problem that afflicted prior iPods, and dealt with corrupt FILES that users were prompted to fix by running "chkdsk."

The problem you are experiencing is unrelated.

That having been said, if you are receiving a corrupt error message immediately after restoring the iPod, it seems likely that you have a significant problem with the hard drive in your iPod. Since it's only 3 weeks old, you should immediately exchange it for a new one. I would have normally recommended things like trying to connect it to another computer, but since you're within what is likely a 30 day return period, I'd just exchange it now because it seems highly likely that you got a defective iPod.

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 07-09-2007, 06:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

I recently tried your BobZoron's method for fixing the iPod error. However, now when I try to get into iTunes, it gives me an error message that says:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

Program: C:\Program files\iTunes\iTunes.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Right after I ran BobZoron's fix, iTunes worked fine, but now it doesn't. There was a thing in my Chkdsk utility that was not included in BobZoron's fix: after the chkdsk ran, it asked me if I wanted to keep the files. I said yes. It that what could be causing this in my iTunes?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:37 PM

The runtime error is a problem with iTunes, not the iPod.

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling iTunes.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 07-09-2007, 07:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

I tried that twice. It didn't work. I still get the same, exact error message.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Old 07-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe_Tree
Unfortunately, then, I do not personally know how to resolve your problem. I'd recommend posting your question in the iTunes sub-forum, because nobody is going to see your question in this thread.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |

Topic: REVISED & UPDATED: The CONSOLIDATED "corrupt file" and "run chkdsk" thread.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.