Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Review of iPod Cases and other stuff w/photos

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 08-20-2003, 03:19 PM

Junior Lounger

Review of iPod Cases and other stuff w/photos

iPod Cases and other stuff Review

Apple iPod Case
The case which comes with my 30GB iPod from Apple isn't a horrible case but it certainly lacks some of the sleekness that some others cases offer. Many, including myself, had issues with the little Apple logo scratching the back of the iPod.

Pros: Sturdy, good belt clip
Cons: Have to use remote; bulky; scratches back of iPod

Best Free Case
I got the iPod as soon as it came out and there weren't many cases (actually none) around and I didn't want to use the Apple case. I then noticed that I had a Panasonic Two-Way radio which had a nice Neoprene case. As luck would have it, my iPod fit quite nicely and had a hole on top for the headphones and included an arm band.

Pros: Good protection; arm band; free find
Cons: not super snug, kind of ugly

Photos here:
http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu/techS...toAlbum56.html

Maclear Zip Case
As soon as I saw these cases on the web, I was intrigued with it's simplicity. I liked the idea of a super clear case. After-all, the second best part of having an iPod, is just holding it in your hand. I didn't like the idea of just shoving this beautifully designed object in some black sock (Unless I'm sticking it in my gym bag). So I immediately order two from Think Different Store. I ordered two because by this time, my wife noticed how much fun I was having with my portable juke box that she had to have her own. It certainly saved my marriage. Anyway, like everyone else I waited patiently for the zip cases. When they finally arrived, the 15GB case was fine, but my 30GB case was backwards and the zipper broke off. Joe from the Think Different Store was very courteous, and immediately sent me a replacement. The replacement case fit perfectly, however, the case has the 10/15GB stamp on it and there was no metal nipple for the belt clip. I didn't worry since I still had the parts on the defective case.

The zip cases are exactly as I had hoped. A very snug fitting case that doesn't scratch the iPod because of the inner lining behind the zipper. Believe it or not, it actually does make the iPod look new again. The plastic is very durable and the back metal nipple is fastened very securely. I was still paranoid that the metal backing for the nipple would scratch the iPod, (even though it's laminated in plastic) so I slapped on an additional plastic protector. The included semi-transparent belt clip feels a little cheap, but it can be replaced with a better one if it breaks. What do you expect for 10 bucks? All-in-all, I think this is a very worthy case for those who love the design of the iPod but don't want to scratch it up or get sweat all over it. It's also great for those who want the thinnest case to just slip into your pocket. With it's smooth plastic surface it glides in and out of your pocket with ease.

Pros: Simple, sexy, cheap; slips easily in pocket
Cons: cheap belt clip; have to unzip to charge; many have had manufacturing defects.

$10 (case and belt clip)
purchased from www.ThinkDifferentStore.com

Photos here:
http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu/techS...toAlbum52.html

exo Case
Being such a gadget freak, I also decided to get the exo case. Another great invention from iSkin. My wife and I both wanted a blue one so she got Caribbean Blue for her 15GB, and I got Blue Mist for my 30GB iPod. This package includes the exo case, belt clip, and a slightly larger Clear Zip case, and a Screen Protector (which I haven't got yet.)

Once again, I love the simplicity of this silicone membrane case. The iPod is inserted into either the screen opening or the jog wheel opening. The iPod fits very snugly in these cases as well. Unlike my original Zip cases, the iPod in the exo can take some knocking. It's a little heavier feeling and slightly bulkier than the Zip Case, but if I was not drop my iPod, I sure hope it's in this case. One of the biggest complaints about the iPod have been that the buttons are too sensitive. With the exo case on, the buttons are slightly recessed, reducing the accidental touch of a button. The cutouts for the buttons and jacks are also very precise. Although some complain about the difficulty of sliding the hold button. You just have to be aggressive and push your way in there.

Since my wife isn't as careful as I am with electronics, I was a little worried that she would scratch up the screen, so I came up with a good solution. I cut out the top of my defective clear zip case and sandwiched it between the exo and the iPod. Works like a charm! It stays put and it protects the screen, buttons and the scroll wheel. I don't know how well this would work with other plastics but the zip case plastic is awesome.

The exo belt clip is different that the one for the Zip case and the two are not interchangeable. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but it means you have to have a few belt clips lying around. I'm generally not a fan of belt clips but I'll to this a little later. The belt clip attaches to a very small metal nib. This nib is surrounded by small holes radiating out from the center. I'm guessing this is for heat to escape but it also makes the back of the case very weak. I'm sure the belt clip apparatus won't rip off but it certainly makes it a little wobble with so many perforations.

As an added bonus, the exo comes with a slightly larger Maclear case. This is so the iPod with exo can fit into the clear case. Don't expect to use the iPod in this maclear with the exo unless you're going to use the remote. The buttons and wheel are too difficult to press through the plastic. Instead, these maclear cases are better suited for putting the accessories like the charger and cable.

I really like this case because it shows off the iPod while giving a significant amount of protection. I'll update this review when I get the Screen Protector.

****Update**** I finally got the Screen Protector
When I opened the package for the protector I was a little surprised as to how small the little ridge is around the plastic protector. I was curious how well it will stay in place under the exo case. I discovered the best way to insert this, is to put the screen on first and hold it down with your finger as you slip the exo case over it. The flexible plastic is quite grippy and therefore difficult to slip into place if you decide to insert it after the case is on. Once in place, I was surprised to see it how well it stayed on. To the naked eye, you would never notice it's there. Like other people, I did notice the water-effect under the protector. Gradually after 2 days, it disappeared.

As much as I like the protector, I think my other solution of using the TPU material to cover the entire face of the iPod under the exo, is still a better solution since there is no water-effect, and it cover the buttons and wheel. However, this solution isn't ideal if you are regularly swapping cases because it requires some handling to get the TPU material to line up properly.

I've also updated the photos to include the protective screen.

Pros: Stylish, good protection, lots of colors to pick from, includes case for accessories
Cons: Does not protect buttons or wheel; wobbles a little on belt clip; some colors collect/show lint more than others

$30 (exo case, screen protector, belt clip, Maclear case)
Purchased Caribbean blue and Blue Mist from www.ThinkDifferentStore.com

Photos here:
http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu/techS...toAlbum53.html

inCase iPod Belt (review coming soon)
I have an inCase iPod Belt on order and will review it as soon as I can. My wife is incredibly active (she's and Olympian - 88 Olympics for Teakwood) so she needs a case to run and kick with. I heard Lajo is working on something new.... we'll see.

$24.95 sleek and durable Nylon and Neoprene exterior with belt http://www.incasedesigns.com/DetailIPodBelt.php

Belt Clips
Ok, I have a slight beef with swivel belt clips. I find them a little uncomfortable and not always as secure as you like. For small cell phones they're ok, but the iPod is a slightly larger and heavier than most phones. I would much prefer a regular clip like the original Apple iPod case. When you clip that sucker on your belt, it's not going anywhere. After not being able to find my exo belt clip, and I couldn't use the dozen other clips laying around, I decided to take the clip off my old Ericsson cell phone and attach it to my exo. I found this to be a more elegant solution. Less bulky and I wasn't going to lose this since it's attached to the exo.

photos here:
http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu/techS...toAlbum54.html

Cord Management
I just thought I'd talk a bit about cord management. I personally like the option of having different lengths of headphone cord depending on what I'm doing. That's why I got the Sony MDR-EX71's because they have a short cord length for when I like to use the remote, or I can use the extension without the remote. However, I still like to tidy up the dangling cord. Both the Maclear Zip Case and the exo have belt clips which offer the ability to wrap any extra cord around the clip. This actually make the cases less wobbly as you're walking.

photos here:
http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu/techS...toAlbum55.html

I hope you found this useful.
You can email me with questions at: bgundu@mac.com

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited by bgundu; 08-27-2003 at 01:06 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-20-2003, 03:47 PM

Reclined Lounger

nice report bob. I hope I get my screen protector soon too!

...That'll be 25$
Graf and listeN
And if not otherwise, Jazz is the way to go.
-Jp (JinX)
Old 08-20-2003, 09:48 PM

100% Dead Sexy

Very good roundup. I'm sure many will find this useful, especially with the included pictures, which are very clear

And on the 8th day God said "Let there be IronSerif"....And it was good
|--UV Reactive Power Supply--|
Top view
Sleeving & Connectors
|--Cables & Misc. Stuff--|
USB Cables
Front Intake Fans
IDE & PSU Cables
|--Irons Rig--|
Top Angle View
Side view
Old 08-20-2003, 11:48 PM

Junior Lounger

that convinced me to get MaClear zip case for my iPod. THanks.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:19 AM

Reclined Lounger

NICE JOB!!!!!!!!
Where is the paper bag review?

>>>>>>iPizzle<<<<<<
Old 08-21-2003, 12:25 AM

Senior Lounger

hey the zip case cut to fit the exo and protect the buttons is a brilliant idea, 2 thumbs up.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:39 AM

Senior Lounger

Bob, to express my graditude:

http://ls.e-dawg.com/SluggersSite/?page=40

=)

10 GB 3rd Generation iPod
Black iSkin eXo
Sennheiser 212 HD Pro Headphones
Old 08-21-2003, 02:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

BOB!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say is THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't know how helpful your reviews and ESPECIALLY THE PHOTOS are!

Everyone talks about cases, and some say they're good, some say they're bad, in the end you still don't know if the case is worth buying or not. And the promotional pictures that companies put out are practically useless because they are usually too small or are from one angle only......

Not only have you reviewed them as someone who ACTUALLY HAS IT (not some blabbermouth with an opinion), your pictures show EVERYTHING in all angles and answers every question I have about them, and of course a picture is worth a thousand words!!!

So thank you sooo soo much, your post is very much appreciated.... Don't even think for a moment that you did all this work and we don't even appreciate it, because we need more members like you with great posts like this!

Thanks again!!!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

NICE NATE/NATHAN/LOUISVILLE!! Dedicated to the good job BOB did!!!

Oh ya, Bob, you TOTALLY changed my view of the Maclear.. I thought it was a good case when I first heard of it, then up to now I hesitated because there were some not so good "reviews" of it (or maybe just comments)... but now with these awesome pictures, I think it's great, and will probably get one!!

Cheers to Bob!!!
Old 08-21-2003, 03:01 AM

Junior Lounger

nice pictures....real nice

Amazin Azn
Old 08-21-2003, 10:13 AM

Junior Lounger

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I know how frustrating it can be to decide on a case. I would surf the web for hours to help make a decision. I'm actually surprised at the lack of decent photos for these products. Stay tuned for a review of the inCase belt.

Bob
Old 08-21-2003, 01:09 PM

Reclined Lounger

Bob and Louisville:

REALLY COOL! lots of great photo's in one place, I could only ask for some photos as good as that of a Vaja Case in the real world (not just the pics from the site)

Wonderful page, Louisville!

Old 08-21-2003, 01:29 PM

Junior Lounger

I couldn't agree with you more on the Maclear Zip case! I was fearful of all the negative reviews but decided to take the plunge anyway (besides, it was only $10). I love being able to handle my iPod comfortably.

Old 08-21-2003, 04:46 PM

Junior Lounger

Great review dude. Seriously I'm ordering one of those clear cases right now. THANKS!!
Old 08-27-2003, 01:08 AM

Junior Lounger

Updated my review to include the Protective Screen

****Update**** I finally got the Screen Protector
When I opened the package for the protector I was a little surprised as to how small the little ridge is around the plastic protector. I was curious how well it will stay in place under the exo case. I discovered the best way to insert this, is to put the screen on first and hold it down with your finger as you slip the exo case over it. The flexible plastic is quite grippy and therefore difficult to slip into place if you decide to insert it after the case is on. Once in place, I was surprised to see it how well it stayed on. To the naked eye, you would never notice it's there. Like other people, I did notice the water-effect under the protector. Gradually after 2 days, it disappeared.

As much as I like the protector, I think my other solution of using the TPU material to cover the entire face of the iPod under the exo, is still a better solution since there is no water-effect, and it cover the buttons and wheel. However, this solution isn't ideal if you are regularly swapping cases because it requires some handling to get the TPU material to line up properly.

I've also updated the photos to include the protective screen.

Photos here:
http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu/techS...toAlbum53.html

Topic: Review of iPod Cases and other stuff w/photos

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.