Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Some songs don't work

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-18-2005, 12:37 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question Some songs don't work

I consider myself rather good with computers/electronics and am stumped that I can't figure this out. I have had an iPod for a while and have had no problems, and my sister just recently got one. I made the "My Music" folder on my computer a shared folder so that my sister can access all my songs. It works fine, she can play all my songs on iTunes. However, when it is updated on the iPod, certain songs don't work. These songs are simply skipped over on the iPod until it comes to a song that does work. I did some research and found that the ones that don't work are the ones with a "lock" on the image files. Any ideas?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Bump
Old 01-19-2005, 11:32 PM

Senior Lounger

Did you purchase these "locked" files in the iTunes Music Store?
If so you may need to "Authorize Computer" or "check for purchased music" under the Advanced option in iTunes.

iPod shuffle 512MB
iTunesRegistry.com: 3,083 tracks, 3.496 diversity
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 497 | MX400 | Sony MDR-EX71SL
Old 01-19-2005, 11:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the help, it means a lot

Yes, I purchased these locked files on the iTunes music store on my computer, but I thought I read that you can have the songs on multiple computers...

Checking for purchased music didn't do anything... I can listen to all the songs fine with iTunes.

Authorize computers simply made the songs not appear on the iPod instead of being skipped over.

Any ideas?

Note, most of the songs are on a shared folder on my computer.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

I too have just experienced this problem. I recently switched to a new system. I deauthorized the old computer and reauthorized this one. Today I downloaded an album from iTunes. It plays on my computer with iTunes and displays on the iPod. but when I try to play it on the iPod it skips through all of the songs on the album without playing. Music I purchased earlier does not have this problem.

Is there a way to delete the songs from my iPod and then try and reload them from iTunes or am I missing something.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yeah, I have this problem too..teaches me to download legally, I guess..ahh..yeah

Anyway..help us!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have the same problem but I never used iTunes. I just copied all my music from cd's and now almost all of them just pass over the file when I try to play them. I have two albums that work and everything else just skips over the track.

I tried rebooting (obviously) and updating my iPod software but nothing seems to work for me.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:29 PM

Zai
Freshman Lounger

Same problem w/ purchsed music

My brother seems to be having this problem also. The purchased music that he bought from iTunes Music Store just get skipped over whenever he tries to play them. I have an iPod also, and use the same computer, but all of my songs work fine for me. My question is, what do you mean by "authorize computer"? We're using the same computer but different log-ins.

His songs worked for him 2 days ago, but then suddenly yesterday it didnt.

EDIT: I just tried updating it again, and the songs seem to be working again. =)

Last edited by Zai; 01-28-2005 at 01:35 PM.

Topic: Some songs don't work

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.