Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod keeps rebooting?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod keeps rebooting?

I have an iPod that keeps rebooting, it goes to the folder and exclamation mark icon and then reboots back to the apple logo. I cannot access it through my pc and have tried to access it in Disk Mode but as soon as I open iPod updater so I can re-install the software it just reboots meaning I cannot get into the iPod, any-one-else had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mfield.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:50 PM

iLike iPod

http://www.ipodlounge.com/faqs_more.php?id=112_0_10_0_C

iPod photo 40GB Owner
Old 01-11-2005, 08:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by tidal_break
http://www.ipodlounge.com/faqs_more.php?id=112_0_10_0_C
Thanks for that but that is not the problem I am having, I have searched extensively and cannot find an answer.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:29 AM

Freshman Lounger

I am also experiencing the same problem. I got an iPod Photo for Christmas, installed & formatted it on my home machine (Win XP SP2 - also have a 40 GB iPod attached to same PC using installed FireWire card with multi ports) - all was great for a short while.

Went to work and tried to get it installed there (Win 2000 Professional - SP 4). Must have screwed something up or done something in the wrong order, but now the iPod Photo is completely hosed.

I tried all the same things you did - Reset, Disk Mode, all Diagnostics, etc. Can't keep it in DiskMode long enough to attempt a reformat/restore. Gonna take it to a local Apple store or send it back. I have a hunch the only way to fix is to get it on a Mac, force a native FireWire reset.

Moral? Perhaps mixing iPods & operating systems on 2 computers is not a safe thing! :O)
Old 01-11-2005, 12:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

[/QUOTE]Originally posted by Bruceski
Can't keep it in DiskMode long enough to attempt a reformat/restore.[/QUOTE]

That is the exact same problem that I am having. Did you connect it to a PC using USB or firewire? I have it connected using firewire to my pc I have a Mac in my house and might try that native firewire reset - how do I do that?

Last edited by mfield; 01-11-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

I connect at home using FireWire and at work using USB.

I'm a PC owner, so I don't know how to do anything on a Mac - I plan to head to the Apple store to get them to fix it with all Mac equipment.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ok, now I'm perplexed as the iPod is working again and I don't know how! I have restored the iPod, and all seems to be working fine but I tried to reboot the iPod and when I do it doesn't start back up again unless I connect it to the firewire cable be it plugged into the PC or power supply?! Is this normal?

Topic: iPod keeps rebooting?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.