Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Transferring IPOD to Another Person

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-09-2005, 06:18 PM

Junior Lounger

Transferring IPOD to Another Person

Hi I was thinking of upgrading to a 30 GB Ipod and giving my 15 GB to my godson. But exactly what do I have to do to let him be able to use my IPOD - how do I transfer everything over to him. Thanks Jay

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:14 PM

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking. "Hand him the iPod" would be the obvious answer, but I presume that you're asking for more?

Basically, he would need the iPod and related accessories, and I guess he would need iTunes on his computer. In terms of the music library (assuming that you want to transfer this to him as well), you could either burn it to CD/DVD, or let him use a utility like CopyPod to take it back off of the iPod and put it back onto his computer.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:54 PM

Junior Lounger

Hi no he won't want the music on my Ipod but I know it will just erase when goes into Itunes - but I thought my Ipod was registered to me and I thought it may be a problem for him to use it and Itunes. I guess when he uses the disc (or should he just go into Itunes on hs own on the computer) he can change everything over to his name - am I making more of this than I should?? Jay
Old 01-09-2005, 08:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

i heard that you don't have to do anything because the warranty is attached to the serial number on the ipod, not to your name.

i'm a rocker. i rock out.
| iPod 4g 40Gb | Contour Design iSee-40 | Griffin Technology iTrip |
| 6493 Songs | 28.1 Gb |
Old 01-09-2005, 08:59 PM

Okay... probably the simplest thing to do if he wants to start from scratch is to run the iPod Updater application and "Restore" the iPod. This will erase the hard drive and restore it to factory settings.

When he then fires up iTunes, it will take him through the normal setup process, allowing him to name it and establish his sync preferences, etc.

Topic: Transferring IPOD to Another Person

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.