Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Photo Storage on the iPod -- The Gory Details

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-24-2005, 08:31 PM

Senior Lounger

Is there a way to sync album art? Or do we have to add it to songs manually?

5g Video iPod - Black

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by jhollington
This should only happen if you change the main photo folder specified in iTunes, since at that point iTunes assumes that it's using a new photo library. I'm not sure why you would need to change this on a regular basis, as iTunes will scan this folder (and folders below it) for changes during the next sync, and add/remove photos as appropriate.

If you're simply syncing a new song (or even a new photo) and haven't changed this setting, iTunes should just very quickly sync the changes. It will, of course, optimize any new photos that you've added to your folders, but should not re-optimize the whole collection unless you've moved the folder (or changed the path in iTunes).

Unfortunately, there is no way to perform the photo optimization stage offline. Further, the optimization done will depend on which iPod model is connected, since the photos need to be optimized (resized) differently for the 5G than they do for the colour 4G models.

You can disable the photo syncing completely and iTunes will ask if you want to leave the existing collection on your iPod. You can answer "Yes" to this question and any photos that were already on your iPod will remain there. Of course, you'll have to re-enable photo syncing if you ever want to add anything to your iPod.

Unfortunately, for album display this is not the case. The full-resolution photos stored on your iPod (if this option is selected) will be placed in a YEAR\MONTH\DAY folder structure (which you can't change either), but iTunes treats each folder as it's own "album" and I have never been able to find a way to nest anything deeper than that.

Other than the features of Photoshop Elements itself, I don't really see many advantages. If using Photoshop Elements, you can organize your photos into "collections" which will synchronize with the iPod as albums. The sort order and album order, however, doesn't really change, so there's not much advantage there over simply using straight folders.

I did use Photoshop Elements myself when I was using Windows (I now use iPhoto on Mac), but that was largely because I was looking for a tool to manage my photo collection and decided I might as well use the iPod compatible solution. I agree that Elements tends to be quite a bit slower, but it does have a lot or photo management and organizational features that tools like Picasa have traditionally been missing. Of course, whether one would need or use these extra features is another story entirely.....
Yes, Ii have the same exact problem. It keeps reoptimizing the whole damn thing. This is alright if you have a few pictures, but it takes forever for my 4,000+ picture collection.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

i have a question. my friend put pictures from his iBook to my video ipod, so now i want to get it off my ipod to put on my pc, will it work?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

I'm a photographer and in a single event I can shoot as much as 1-2 GB per hour with my Nikon D2H shooting RAW+JPEG (large). That kind of shooting eats up the CF cards like crazy. I got a new 5G iPod Video because I figured I'd be able to either buy one of those firewire cables and plug it directly into my card reader or get that belkin media reader so I could in effect just swap out cards and continue shooting while the other card uploads the full card into the ipod. The camera connect cable is useless to me anyway because cannot shoot while tranfering files, even if I could I'd be afraid that the little connecter would wind up getting busted off inside my camera. It would have been much more practicle than having to lug the laptop out in the field on my person at all times. Maybe someone has a few ideas on how this could be accomplished or about a product that already exists and I just don't know about...?
Old 02-05-2006, 07:39 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by dubnluvn
I'm a photographer and in a single event I can shoot as much as 1-2 GB per hour with my Nikon D2H shooting RAW+JPEG (large). That kind of shooting eats up the CF cards like crazy. I got a new 5G iPod Video because I figured I'd be able to either buy one of those firewire cables and plug it directly into my card reader or get that belkin media reader so I could in effect just swap out cards and continue shooting while the other card uploads the full card into the ipod. The camera connect cable is useless to me anyway because cannot shoot while tranfering files, even if I could I'd be afraid that the little connecter would wind up getting busted off inside my camera. It would have been much more practicle than having to lug the laptop out in the field on my person at all times. Maybe someone has a few ideas on how this could be accomplished or about a product that already exists and I just don't know about...?

Get one of these

h ttp://cgi.ebay.com/New-xDrive-Digital-Camera-partner-Photo-Bank-w-LCD_W0QQitemZ7586354914QQcategoryZ15215QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Install a laptop drive and away you go...

I use this when I do weddings, works well... There are a bunch of them on Ebay, mine I think is called digimate...
Old 02-12-2006, 09:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by dubnluvn
I read your post with interest and I'm using the same DSLR body. I bought the iPod to use as a storage point for my RAW files while out in the field. I knew that I couldn't see the RAW image on the screen before I bought it, so no surprise, but...

a question for a fellow photog: We are 5 generations into the iPod. Apple is constantly touting their products as "works of art for artists" as well as other descriptives. Seeing as how many pros use Macs for digital processing, why is there no support for NEF, RAW, or at the very least, Adobe RAW? Doesn't it seem a bit ludicrous that RAW file support hasn't shown up on the iPod yet?

Just wondering.
Kev
Old 02-13-2006, 05:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

I agree Kev. However I'm not too bothered by the lack of RAW support. I use JPEG's for editing (not toning) so in that sense I would be able to view as I go anyway. I just really want a card reader. It doesn't have to be blazing fast or anything. Just has to download one 2GB card before I fill up another one. 288 shots (eqv. 8 rolls, 36 exp). I really don't think its too much to ask. And if I could have a say in it I'd price it <$60.

I wonder if there is a card reader out ther that accepts the normal USB connector like on the end of the ipod cable. And if there is such a thing (I've looked but haven't found one) I wonder if that would work. The card reader I use is firewire and uses the normal firewire end to connect to both the computer and the reader, so I bought a firewire ipod cable (before I knew that apple ceased firewire support on the new ipods) hoping it would, like magic, sync my photos from my cf card. No dice, obviously. If anyone has a trick to make this happen I'd love to know.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

There are card readers out there that can be attached to the iPod. I saw one at Micro Center for like $25 or so.

Kev
Old 02-13-2006, 08:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

link?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Go here:

zzz.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0229921. The site won't allow me to post a link, so put in www instead of zzz. US$ 60.

Kev
Old 02-25-2006, 03:04 PM

Reclined Lounger

New question. I read the Tutorial just now. I created a folder in My Picture called "Girls" and copied about 20 photos of my girls to it and synched it. Worked fine. But when I go to Photos on the pod the folder name Girls isn't there. All I see is Slideshow Options and Photo Gallery (I think). Where's the folder name? Is it not there because it's the only one? If I want another forder ("Boys"), should I make it a subfolder of Girls or maybe make a more general one and make Boys and Girls subfolders of that? Any suggestions? Thanks

5g 60bg iPod, ContourCase Showcase,20gb Dell DJ (Sold), Shure E2c phones. Altec iM7 boombox.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

I don't think the iPod supports folders (when viewing it on the iPod); it just dumps them all into one big list (am i wrong?).

60GB iPod w/video
Old 02-25-2006, 08:28 PM

Junior Lounger

If you tell it to sync specific folders, they show up. So for example if you want different folders on your ipod, tell itunes that you want to use my pictures for synching. Then in my pictures you create a folder called girls, and stick pictures in it. Then if you tell it to sync specific folders it should create a folder entry on your ipod... At least it does on mine...
Old 02-25-2006, 09:33 PM

Reclined Lounger

That's what I did. I created a new folder "Gilrs" withing My Pictures, copied about 20 photos to it from other folders in My Pictures and selected "girls" to synch to. The photos are all there, just not the folder name.
Edit: I "fixed it" last night. Made another folder (Boys) then set itunes to synch to My Picture, and just selected the 2 folders. They're both on the ipod. I think that if you only have one folder it doesn't use the name (just photo gallery), if you have more than 1 it uses both names.

5g 60bg iPod, ContourCase Showcase,20gb Dell DJ (Sold), Shure E2c phones. Altec iM7 boombox.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 02-27-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:39 PM

Junior Lounger

What version of itunes?

Topic: Photo Storage on the iPod -- The Gory Details

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.