Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: HELP! "Ipod cannot be ejected"

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-20-2004, 09:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

HELP! "Ipod cannot be ejected"

I've had my Ipod for about 6 months. For the first 5 months it worked fine. Now, whenever I transfer via firewire, it does its update, then the Ipod keeps telling me "Do Not Disconnect". I took it to be serviced for several weeks at Best Buy, they said nothing was wrong when I picked it up. But I still get the same message on the Ipod. When I try to eject from I tunes I get an error message saying that "the ipod cannot be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application". What the hell does this mean?????? There are no other apps open! Please help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:37 PM

pb.
Freshman Lounger

I had this problem yesterday.
It turned out that I had some corupted files on my ipod.

What you probably have to do is:
-close itunes
-run a check disk on your ipod. I'm using Disk Checker from www.rssoftlab.com
-then remove safely your ipod in tray
-restart your PC
-connect ipod to pc and check if it's ok

good luck
Old 12-21-2004, 03:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks, but no luck. I loaded the diskchecker and it found no bad files on the ipod. Still getting the same problems. Thanks again though.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:20 PM

Are you using the iPod to store files other than music on the hard drive? Make sure none of these files are open or in use before you try to eject the iPod.

Can you eject the iPod from the desktop instead of iTunes?

Apple warns against running external disk repair/scan programs on the iPod, btw. I haven't figured out why.

Stuart

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:46 PM

mrfri3drice

i had the same problem so i just reseted it and restarted i tunes and it worked fine

Old 12-21-2004, 02:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

No, I haven't loaded anything but music files on the Ipod. I cannot eject it from Itunes OR the Desktop.

Yet, when I brought it in to Best Buy for the 2nd time, I watched them connect it via Firewire to one of their PC's, and all was well; the display said "OK to Disconnect" after a couple minutes. I'm really boggled. I can't tell if it's the Ipod itself or a software issue on my PC. I notice that a lot of people have the "Do not Disconnect" problem too, but it doesn't seem that there is a quick fix.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

I just did a Windows System Recovery on my pc to try and cure this problem...with no luck....still getting "Do Not Disconnect" on the Ipod. Is this a very unique problem or what? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:54 AM

If it is connected it should say "Do not Disconnect" This is normal. I guess your problem stems from not being able to eject it.

Do you use the iPod as an external hard drive? You can try turning off disk use in the iPod's preferences. This may make it so that the iPod will disconnect after it syncs. This is of course only if you use autosync, if you manually update, you will not be able to do this.

I have no other ideas, though, as to why your iPod will not eject when told.

Have your tried a firmware restore to the iPod yet? How about reseting the iPod?

Stuart

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 12-23-2004, 01:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

I've tried the firmware restore, tried resetting it, tried talking to it, and yelling at it, but nothing changes. It really s*cks! I already had the hard disk disabled, so that's not it. At this point, I'm just going to have to just go against the grain and disconnect it at will, as I paid too much money for this thing not to use it the way I want to. I've already disconnected it several times while the "Do Not Disconnect" has been flashing, and nothing bad has happened....yet. Thanks. I'm still open for suggestions though.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

"IPOD Cannont Be Ejected" Error

I was running WinAmp at the same time I was organizing my music within ITunes. Once I shut down WimAmp I was able to eject without any more errors.

Make sure you aren't using a music program that would for some reason want to read the IPOD Drive as a music source. That should fix the problem.

Hope this helps somewhat
Old 05-12-2008, 11:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

Same problem: look at your taskbar at the bottom, or wherever you have it positioned. There should be an icon of a USB jack and a white check mark in a green circle. Open that up and disconnect your device that way.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

In iTunes, iPod won't eject while WinAmp is playing

I've seen this topic come up a couple different places, and this was my first search result, so I thought I'd register so I could post my solution.

This happens everytime I update WinAmp and (for me at least) it's caused by WinAmp installing a plug-in to control/sync with your iPod. So when you connect your iPod, WinAmp is in contact with it, even if you never did any sort of syncing or management with WinAmp. It's totally messed up on WinAmp's part to do this.

I solved it by going to WinAmp preferences (cntrl+P) and then going to Plug-ins- Media Library (I think, this is from memory) and uninstalling the plug-in for Portable Player control or something like that. That SHOULD work, at least it did for me.

Post a reply if that worked for you, as I'm curious.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

Possible Solution!!

Ok, I had this problem for about a week at a new contract gig I started. I thought maybe it had something to do with their network settings. Who knows when you're new to a company and you're running apps on their network right?

Well, after some random troubleshooting of my own with no success, I tried this, and so far it seems to be working!

(my iPod Nano was connected when I did the following things)

1. Became so frustrated, I closed iTunes then reached behind the computer and simply pulled out the USB cable, then replugged it in, assuming it would disconnect my iPod. It didn't. Strange.
2. Opened back up iTunes. Went to my iPod Summary page. Went down to the Options section, and unchecked "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected."
3. Ejected iPod successfully!
4. Re-plugged back in iPod, and tested it out again. This time I got the old error message twice, but on the third try it ejected successfully.

I have no idea how/why/what. But it's working for me, even if i have to try ejecting a couple times.

Give it a go, what do you have to lose but a little more hair you are pulling out of your head trying to fix this!?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Wink Mine was a simple fix...

Well mine turned out to be a simple fix, may not be as easy for you guys.

I had Windows Media Player open, which was playing a song off of my iPod. I was using my iPod as a disk, to copy music from it - to my computer.

However, I imagine that if you have used a player to play a song on the iPod, the process may be still running in the background. Use task manager and check that out - one troubleshooting step anyway.

Figured I would throw in my 2 cents even though I'm LD for overlooking that media player was open. HAHA
Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

I can get it to eject but not by normal means

I was fighting this "Ipod cannot be ejected" problem and tried a bunch of probably wrong things. I unplugged the usb without ejecting and that did nothing. I opened and closed itunes etc and that did nothing. I tried using the green arrow usb in the right hand of task bar but it said it could not disonnect yet.
I finally opened up "My Computer" and saw my Ipod under the G: . I right clicked on it and selected eject and it did eject. I have since plugged it back in and I get the same "Ipod cannot eject problem". Only way I can easily eject it is to use the "My Computer" method. Hopefully we will find out what is wrong. I am wondering if everyone else whose Ipod is working, does it show up in my Computer as a removable disk?
Thanks

Topic: HELP! "Ipod cannot be ejected"

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.