Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: "Photos" tab not present in iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-11-2004, 07:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

"Photos" tab not present in iTunes

I am fairly new to the iPod community but have learned quite abit by surfing through ipodlounge. My problem is that I do not get the "Photos" tab in the ipod optioins. It is my understanding that this is necessary to load photos. Further troubling is that the tab was there at one point and I sucessfully loaded 2 pictures. Gone now...Any suggestions?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:11 AM

Are you connecting more than one iPod to your computer? Have you connected a non-photo iPod at any point? Sometimes iTunes can get a bit confused as to which model of iPod you're connecting (it will only show the photo tab if you're connecting an iPod photo, of course).

I have this problem sometimes after having connected my wife's 4G.

I'd suggest restarting iTunes completely and trying again. Reboot your computer if necessary.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:35 AM

Freshman Lounger

No, I am only connecting to one computer

It seems as though I need to update/reload my iPod software. However, when I run iPod updater it freezes.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

Problem solved. I was using the usb connection. The folks at apple let me know that the firewire connection must be used for photos to be transferred properly.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:03 AM

Interesting. Are you using a PC or a Mac?

Old 12-11-2004, 12:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

Mac

I am using a PB G4. I am sure that compatibility is an issue. I wonder if this is a Mac/PC issue or a USB/Firewire issue or both.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:42 PM

Well, it may be a mixture of problems. I use a PC, but I also use FireWire to my PC, so I haven't run into this problem (other than the problem I mentioned when I connect my wife's 4G, also over FireWire -- of course, I also tend to connect them both at the same time).

However, I did do some photo transfers over USB from another computer running iTunes, and had no difficulties, but it was also a PC.

So I suppose it may be USB on a Mac, or it may be an intermittent problem with USB on any platform.

Old 12-11-2004, 12:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

After you mentioned that it was an interminittent problem I plugged in with USB and still had the same situation.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:33 PM

Reclined Lounger

Well, even though you said you had he photos tab at one time, which makes this comment irrelevant, do be sure you have iTunes 4.7...

--Justin--
iPod Photo 40Gb. Black iPod Classic 160Gb.
7836 songs, 49.66 Gb. 31 movies and many more TV shows, 32.4 GB. 13,809 Photos, 21GB.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Looks like I have a similar problem...

setup:
Ipod 60Gig photo
Winxp
Itunes 4.7.0.42
dock is hooked on my pc thru usb2.0

When I set itunes on automatic synchronizing, it succesfully transfers the mp3 as well as the picture's. But.. I do not see any photo tab whatsoever, the only way to organize my pictures on my ipod is to add and/or delete pics in the specified synchronize folder, and update the ipod again.

This a malfuntion, or is this the way its supposed to be ?

9wk 5d 03h non stop hip hop
2wk 3d 12h non stop chill / club / house
Old 12-15-2004, 12:32 AM

Well, the only real way to organize your photo content is in the manner you described. Just so we're clear, the only place that you'll see a Photo tab in iTunes is in the preferences where you configure your iPod, and that simply allows you to select the albums/folders for synchronization.

'Fraid that's about as close as iTunes comes to managing photo collections, at this point anyway.

Old 12-15-2004, 04:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

well, i'll survive, but I just thought it would be cool to have a list of your photo's in itunes, like the way u organize your music.

Thanx for the clearification !

9wk 5d 03h non stop hip hop
2wk 3d 12h non stop chill / club / house
Old 12-26-2004, 01:06 AM

Freshman Lounger

So is it possible then to have an iPod and iPhoto share the same computer? I got an iPhoto for Christmas and seem to have problems with it connecting...
Old 12-27-2004, 10:51 AM

Freshman Lounger

As far as having 2 iPods on the same computer, I am not sure. There should be an answer to that somewhere in these forums. As for the problems connecting, I would always use the firewire if possible. I haven't had any problems since using the Firewire connection. What kind of computer are you connecting to? Apple seems especially keen on using its firewire when you can. I have found this to be the case with video cameras also.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gogosha
So is it possible then to have an iPod and iPhoto share the same computer? I got an iPhoto for Christmas and seem to have problems with it connecting...
Just to clear up any potential confusion, it's called an iPod photo. iPhoto is the software application on the Mac that is used to manage the photos.

However, yes you can have an iPod and iPod photo share the same PC. I do it all the time with my wife's 4G and my iPod photo, and in fact I even plug them both in at the same time and have had no problems (other than the aforementioned "Photos" tab disappearing sometimes in the preferences sometimes).

Topic: "Photos" tab not present in iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.