Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: "Windows Delayed Write Failed" message

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-19-2004, 10:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

"Windows Delayed Write Failed" message

I got my 4G 40GB iPod a few weeks ago, and it only seems to sync correctly about half the time. The other half, iTunes says it is unable to read the iPod. In the past, the only way I have been able to get it to get past this and sync is to re-install the software and re-format the iPod. I'm currently connecting the iPod through the firewire connection, but the problem persists when using my USB 2.0 port, as well.

I recently installed SP2 for Windows XP, and now I'm having a different problem. iTunes does recognize the iPod, and it starts to sync, but after a while, it stops and I get either an error that says it wasn't able to write to the iPod, or today I got a message in the system tray from Windows that said:

"Windows delayed write failed
Windowas was unable to to save all the data for the file H:\iPod_control\music\F02. The data has been lost. This error may be cause by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere."

My music collection is only 14GB.

My question is mainly what is causing this? Is there something about how I'm syncing the iPod that is causing this to happen?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

I'm getting the exact same delayed write failed message... and it has wiped out all the music on my iPod.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

I'm getting the exact same delayed write failed message... and it has wiped out all the music on my iPod.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

While I have not found a fix, I have noticed that if I start itunes first then dock the pod I don't get any of these errors.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

I do that and my ipod just shuts down and never stays on my computer. But it was 80% done on updating music on y ipod and suddenly this message came. God damn apple I will ask for a new one too many problems.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:53 PM

S_D
Junior Lounger

i have ad the excat problem for about 2weeks and cant fix the bloody thing. wot can we do?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

i had the same problem..what i did is i disabled my anti-virus software (mcafee 8.0) before connecting the ipod..then i connect the ipod and its working great! itunes is working perfect with it and i can also browse my ipod files from my computer..try this if some of u guys hav mcafee..or any other anti virus software..

cheers
Old 02-17-2005, 09:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Dont blame the ipod for everything bcos windows and other software affect the ipod sometimes..but on some pcs the ipod works perfect..it is mainly bcos there is a software or a code that doesnt allow the ipod to stay connected to the pc. i got 2 pcs..on one of them the ipod works perfectly without having to do anything but on the other i had to go tru processes like disabling the antivirus to get things working. I didnt write to Apple or thought of changing the ipod for this reason. changing ur ipod is silly for these kind of reasons..
Old 01-30-2007, 04:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijith555
Dont blame the ipod for everything bcos windows and other software affect the ipod sometimes..but on some pcs the ipod works perfect..it is mainly bcos there is a software or a code that doesnt allow the ipod to stay connected to the pc. i got 2 pcs..on one of them the ipod works perfectly without having to do anything but on the other i had to go tru processes like disabling the antivirus to get things working. I didnt write to Apple or thought of changing the ipod for this reason. changing ur ipod is silly for these kind of reasons..
Don't blame the iPod? But all the other devices I have plugged into the 6 USB 2 ports on my Dell 8300 PC work perfectly (I have 4 plugged in, iPod makes 5); and on my Sony laptop it is the only device plugged in but still gets delayed write fails! If my iPod nano followed the USB 1+2 specs correctly it would work too!

Don't get me wrong, I love my new shiney iPod Nano, it's just a shame it has this very annoying problem. Makes it useless for transfering files especially, every other time the file will be corrupt when you come to read it!

I just wish Apple would/could fix it with a firmware update.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 AM

Nano calling on the delayed write failed: Time to restore it seems: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303615

Depending on when you get write failures.

Thanks for bringing up an almost two year old thread Taking the whole it's better to post in an an exisiting than to start a new one very seriously

I wonder if delayed write failures may have similar reasons as "Failed to read/write to disk". This can be caused by corrupt home drive system, iPod drive system (restore it), or by corrupt files failing to copy to the iPod.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Try this:

Error Messages ?? Don't Use iTunes 7.02 !!!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

Lost all songs

I have about 2000 songs on my 30GB video ipod. Today I transferred some songs from my Library to ipod. When I clicked eject my ipod it said some files are being used by ipod. So I just took the USB out. Nothing bad happens when I usually do this. But this time the "Windows-Delayed Write Failed" occured and my iPod reset by itself. And when I checked my iPod all my songs were gone. How can I retrieve all my songs?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 11:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

DELAY WRITE FAILED --- port f --- error 1439

sorry if you have fixed this problem, I am writing to say I have just encountered the same message when sync my itunes library to my ipod.
And now I can download again. 3 succesful attempts after about 40 failures and ipod restores.!!

Untill two days ago I had no problem, then an update for my ipod shuffle and this.. It appears to be a problem with the autofill feature.
Once I started adding music manually, I didn't encounter this problem.
A--Create a playlist by genre or rating; or do this from your library,
B--click edit, select all, and drag the entire selection over to your sync'd ipod.

it will randomly select, if that function is checked, and even if you only have enough room for 70 songs, and your dragging over 300 it will write what it has room for and ignore the rest as it was meant too.

it's my guess that the issue comes somehow from the autofill feature holding these extra songs that don't get written onto the ipod and this causes some sort of read error because it doesn't release them.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

FIXED --- IPOD DELAY WRITE FAILED

I realized that I hadn't used the original cord that had come with the ipod shuffle.
I was using a cord I had purchased a few weeks after getting my ipod and had already loaded my cds on my computer and filled the ipod.

It's the after market or non-apple cord that causes this... I bought a different cord so that I could charge my ipod as I played it with my stereo.

When I wanted to change the music this time, {it had been about 6 months since} , I just naturally used the new dock I had bought and coincedentally there was an update for the ipod when I synced up. That's when my problems started so I assumed the update caused the problem. WRONG AGAIN.

There is something wrong, apparently with older cords or non apple cords that the copper wiring doesn't work well with large amounts of data being sent over them so it causes the ipod to get the dreaded DELAYED WRITE FAILED message, and you are left with no option but to try restoring and starting over. ERROR 1439,will appear many times while restoring for the same reason.

Now that I went and took out the original dock that came in the ipod shuffle case I have no issues at all !!!!

Topic: "Windows Delayed Write Failed" message

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.