Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Solution to the EU Volume Limitation!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-30-2003, 04:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

has anyone used this solution to take the limits of their 3rd gen ipod? I would love to delimit my pod but i'm worried about damaging it in some way!
Has anyone got any feedback on the hack presented the other day?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-30-2003, 05:21 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by saleshark
has anyone used this solution to take the limits of their 3rd gen ipod? I would love to delimit my pod but i'm worried about damaging it in some way!
Has anyone got any feedback on the hack presented the other day?
This solution does not work for a 3rd GEN iPod. The 'limit' file is simply not present on these iPods.
Feedback on the other hack (for 3rd gen iPods) can be found in this thread:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...&threadid=5306
Old 07-30-2003, 06:02 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by johannes
Hmm, I still can?t find any information regarding 3G iPods here, what the heck are u supose to do with a 15GB iPod with a volume that sucks ?
Take it back stating the unit is "Unfit for the purpose for which it was intended". You have every right to do this - it works, I did it.

Buy a 60gb Zen. Not just more volume but better tonal range too - check out hi fi forums for comparisons, don't just take my word for it.

Use EAC / Lame to rip and encode - not the supplied software.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:20 AM

Senior Lounger

Cool Fundamental Euro Vol Cap Question

The general consensus is that you can get much higher distortion-free volume using Xplay. So why bother with hacking the firmware ? Anyway, you are taking a risk with any hacked firmware that it may knacker your Ipod.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:09 AM

Power Lounger

Threads merged. Please keep all this stuff together so that we can consolidate the info. Thanks!

Numbers are like people; torture them enough and they'll tell you anything .
Old 08-03-2003, 05:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

I may have sussed what's up with some people (with G2 iPods) not being able to find their limit file.

My theory is that version 1.22 firmware is either inherently european and can't be hacked, or uses some different as-yet-unknown place to hide the limit information. 1.22 is the version that originally introduced the limit in the first place so I'm assuming it was a quick hack to get them back on sale in Europe again.

There wasn't a Limit file on my 1.22 iPod, so I upgraded it to 1.3 and the Limit file appeared. I then deleted it and everything was brilliant and noisy.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

G2 - no limit file

hmm ... nice theory but i can't support it!

i updated my 2G 10GB ipod to firmware 1.3 (Windows) but nonetheless i am not able to find the limit file!?
Old 08-03-2003, 10:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hmm. I wonder what's different.

Mine is a 20G iPod bought in the UK. It's possible the firmware upgrade didn't do something it was meant to; I'm running Linux so I just copied the new firmware on with dd (following the instructions in the gnupod documentation if anyone needs to know) rather than using the proper update program. Having finished the update, my SysInfo file still doesn't have a RegionCode in it.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question sysinfo file

my 2G 10GB also didn't have a limit and a region code in the sys file ...

i just inserted the US code ... i don't know whether it worked or not .. can't really tell u iff it made a difference ... someone just mentioned the placebo effect ... i also think it is louder now ... hehe
Old 08-03-2003, 06:47 PM

Lamer

Quote:
Originally posted by neil67uk
So is Esspen's prog the same as Xplay ?
Hey!

My program does the same as xplay, turn the volume up for us unlucky ppl having a restricted volume.

Since xplay cost money, i decided to make a freeware, but it only has that feature.

I use ephod and my tool.

Its a beta, but got a lot of nice feedback, will improve it and release it as final this week .

Try it at;

http://www.ringom.no/espen/ipod/

Thnx for good feedback all of u.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:49 PM

Lamer

Quote:
Originally posted by jasperstory
thanks esspen!!!... that prog rocks... if i had moeny i would give it to you.

I had a 15gig uk ipod.... using this prog (in XP) the european volume restriction goes away and i can finally play my music at a decent volume.

THANKS AGAIN>>>> I MUST RECOMMEND THIS PROGRAM
Im glad it worked for u :-)

Save yar money and use it on boooooooooooooooose or something :-)

It will come a update this week, so stay tuned :-)
Old 08-03-2003, 07:10 PM

Pro Lounger

Hi Esspen I tried your programme out. I have a gen2 iPod with US firmware 1.3. My computer runs winxp. It didn't work, the programme said something like "the path to the iPod is wrong"...
Would it be easy/possible for you to make it work with gen2 ipods too? It's not because the volume is capped, and the mp3s are plenty loud when listening with earbuds, but I would still like the volume to be a big higher for when I plug the iPod to my stereo, because when i do that it is kind of quiet.

- Have a nice day
NEW NANO white 4gb
Old Windows iPod 10 gb (2G classic touchwheel)
Old 08-03-2003, 07:13 PM

Lamer

Quote:
Originally posted by sparks9
Hi Esspen I tried your programme out. I have a gen2 iPod with US firmware 1.3. My computer runs winxp. It didn't work, the programme said something like "the path to the iPod is wrong"...
Would it be easy/possible for you to make it work with gen2 ipods too? It's not because the volume is capped, and the mp3s are plenty loud when listening with earbuds, but I would still like the volume to be a big higher for when I plug the iPod to my stereo, because when i do that it is kind of quiet.
Yes, that wouldnt be a problem

Is the 2gen ipod the SCROLL WHEEL ?

If yes, ive got emails from ppl saying it works.
Are u sure u choose the right drive??

plug yar ipod, wait for 10 sec, then start the program. choose the dir where yar ipod is.

If it dosent work, plz email me at

espen at ringom dot no

and i will ask u for some info regarding yhour ipod and we can solve this i guess in next release.

If scrollwhell is same as 2gen it should work...

Please let me know;

Regards;

EspeN
Old 08-04-2003, 05:27 AM

Pro Lounger

I got the one with touchwheel, but the "classic" design. I'll try again...

- Have a nice day
NEW NANO white 4gb
Old Windows iPod 10 gb (2G classic touchwheel)
Old 08-04-2003, 06:29 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by sparks9
erm bro, if you have a 2nd gen ipod you can just flash your ipod with the US firmware and have a loud ipod, its only the 3rd gen ipods that people are having probs removing the EU volume restrictions.

Topic: Solution to the EU Volume Limitation!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.